Maybe It Was The Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Maybe It Was The Ammo

Post by Shasta »

I didn't want to take a chance on hijacking Plowboy 45's thread concerning firing shorter .45-70 cartridges in a .45-90 rifle:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=60200

If you have read that thread, you will note that I did comment on my experience along those lines (my experience was firing .45-60 cartridges in a .45-70 rifle).

I suppose I should tell the whole story, as it possibly could have a bearing on why the shorter .45-60 cartridges did not shoot very accurately in my .45-70:

I purchased my Uberti-made Taylors Model 1876 Winchester .45-60 unfired from a fellow on the east coast, and the deal included about ten boxes of ammo loaded with smokeless powder and cast lead bullets that the seller stated he had purchased from a well-known small re-manufacturer, whom I will not name for liability reasons, as well as the fact that I have no proof who made them.

The rifle arrived in fine shape at a local FFL dealer. The ammunition was shipped directly to me. Upon arrival, the box containing the ammunition looked OK, as did the cardboard 20 round boxes inside. The problems started when I opened the 20 round boxes. Here are pictures of a sample box freshly opened...

As you can see, the styrofoam inserts were pretty badly broken up, with bits of styrofoam sticking to the cartridges because they all still had case lube on them left over from not having been cleaned after the sizing process. Even worse, many of the cast lead bullets were severely flawed, apparently from having been cast in a cold mold:

I don't know, perhaps the 20 round boxes had been mishandled by someone after leaving the manufacturer's, but those wrinkled bullets were no accident! I picked out the rounds that looked undamaged, cleaned off the case lube, and set out to shoot my new rifle.
Unfortunately, Uberti had copied the original chamber size very closely. The 1.89" case of the .45-60 round is the same diameter as the 2.1" case of the .45-70, but the original .45-60 had a thinner rim thickness. My new rifle was chambered for the thinner rims, so none of the ammo I had would chamber. (A friend has the same rifle, just marked differently and marketed by Cimarron. His will chamber .45-70 cartridge rims without a problem).
A bit of research led me to KirkD's article showing how to thin the .45-70 case rims to fit the .45-60 chamber. Not wanting to have to pull all those bullets, I decided to just shoot them in my reproduction 1886 Winchester .45-70 take-down rifle. I didn't try shooting on paper, I just went out and shot at distant rocks, cans, and other targets of opportunity, missing most of the time. I was not surprised at the lack of accuracy, figuring it was caused by the bullet having to jump an extra 2/10th's inch before contacting the rifling. I did pull the bullets from the worst looking loaded rounds, and the degree of carelessness shown in the loading process was surprising. It was indeed brand new Starline brass, but bullets not only were deformed, they were poorly sized, with lube slopped all over:

I weighed a few of the powder charges (it looked like IMR 4198 powder) and they averaged 20 grains in weight, with as much as two grains variation. I'm not sure how much of that variation was caused by the bits of brass trimmings that were mixed in with the powder:

Despite the general lack of quality in those re-manufactured .45-60's, they did have the brass properly and consistently trimmed for length. You will be glad to know I did get all those case rims thinned successfully and have gotten a lot of enjoyment reloading for and shooting my .45-60.

I suppose my point in posting this long thread is not so much about shooting shorter rounds in a longer chamber, but more to point out that at least in my case, lack of quality ammunition may have been a factor contributing to poor accuracy.

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ysabel Kid

Re: Maybe It Was The Ammo

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks for sharing this Shasta.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks for the detailed report.
Interesting topic and great detail in the photo's.
Pop.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wow! Bullets like those always go back in the pot. Did you ever test one for hardness?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Griff wrote:Wow! Bullets like those always go back in the pot. Did you ever test one for hardness?
No, Griff, I don't recall having tested them. This happened some time ago, but I'm sure those bullets got recycled in my lead pot.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Thank, for the post Shasta.

busa
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My worst shot shells are made better than that !
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Ooooh -- UGLY! Yep, might have been the ammo.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't even cast bullets, no source of lead, but those bullets do not look anywhere near what I am used to seeing from CPB or LaserCast when I purchase their products. If someone who does not cast them can see the problems, then it would seem as if the person doing the casting did not know what they were doing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I sure hope that fellow was fibbing to you about who made that ammo. I have a hard time believing any remanufacturer, small or not, would actually send something like that out the door. They wouldn't be in business long if they made that a habbit.
NRA Life Member
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That ammo is probably the reason why the owner decided to sell the rifle off... Nice report thanks
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY