Guy in our church just got mauled

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Guy in our church just got mauled

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I just got a call that a guy in our church just got mauled by a brown bear (sow with two cubs).

Don't know what kind of shape he is in, but I am assuming it isn't too bad, since his wife was going to drive him into town to get him to a hospital.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Guy in our church just got mauled

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up. Hope it isn't too bad!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, that certainly sucks.....Prayers up for the poor guy.... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, prayers up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

WOW!! He should prolly buy a lottery ticket while he's in town..........
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Too bad I had not loaned him my Spike Driver carbine the day before...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

He lives off the road a ways. He was walking home when his dogs took off ahead, then came back being chased by the bear and her cub. She left the dogs and bit him, then he shot her.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140724/eag ... mauled-him
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I just read this on another forum, the guy that posted has a place in the area and walked through there right after it happened I guess (If I'm reading his posts right). He and his wife both had pistols, but had left the rifles at the cabin.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

sorry to hear! prayers said and good luck to you spoken. :(
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Lassiter wrote:WOW!! He should prolly buy a lottery ticket while he's in town..........
Why?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

AJMD429 wrote:Too bad I had not loaned him my Spike Driver carbine the day before...
Mighta' got some teethmarks in the stock . . .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I hope he doesn't end up with anything worse than scarring and maybe a couple of bad dreams. Those are to be expected and can be dealt with. Infection from the bacteria on the claws and teeth can be deadly. I have always heard that a sow with cubs is dangerous.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

He had to have surgery on his hand to repair tendons but both his shoulder and hand were just puncture wounds, not tearing. Small sow plus a .44 magnum equaled non-lifethreatening injuries.

It looks like they are keeping his name protected - the hospital has him under an assumed name - to keep him safe from people.

This is the fourth mauling just in that area this year, plus one a little further south. Four were sows with cubs. Two mauled were soldiers on Fort Richardson, and this was the first bear killed during the mauling in this area this year. The news reports are focused on the fact that the bear was killed, not that a man was mauled, of course.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

7.62 Precision wrote:He had to have surgery on his hand to repair tendons but both his shoulder and hand were just puncture wounds, not tearing. Small sow plus a .44 magnum equaled non-lifethreatening injuries.

It looks like they are keeping his name protected - the hospital has him under an assumed name - to keep him safe from people.

This is the fourth mauling just in that area this year, plus one a little further south. Four were sows with cubs. Two mauled were soldiers on Fort Richardson, and this was the first bear killed during the mauling in this area this year. The news reports are focused on the fact that the bear was killed, not that a man was mauled, of course.
Glad to hear he will be alright. It was a good kill; a little maddening to read some of the comments by the armchair quarterbacks. Some people need to be slapped hard... Might wake them up.

Probably have a little different perspective if he had let it go, and it ate one of their kids. Why don't bears just go to the grocery store, where meat is made, so cute animals don't have to get hurt? :roll:
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

7.62 Precision wrote:
Lassiter wrote:WOW!! He should prolly buy a lottery ticket while he's in town..........
Why?
You said he wasn't hurt very badly, (when it could've been VERY BAD) He's riding a lucky streak a mile wide.........
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Oh, yeah. A bear can do some pretty major damage in a short time. He got off pretty easy, but it might have been a lot worse if he did not shoot the bear.

I shot one that was coming in my house after my kids when I lived in Anchorage. I was pretty worried afterward, but it didn't hit the newspapers. I think the police and wildlife troopers kept it quiet.

People will be especially violently angry about this one, since she had a cub.

Having the right dog can help. In my case, the first thing I did as the kids were heading to the house and my wife was grabbing my rifle was send the dog out the door. He went right after the bear and delayed it; though it did bypass him, it gave the kids a chance to get to the house. He did not run from the bear or come back to me for safety - he tried to block the bear from approaching.

The wrong dog will bring the bear right to you, but even then it will often at least alert you.

This is the next dog I want:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ive found that a couple or 3 of cow eating blue heelers works on moose and bears and cougars. have used mine to put the run on bears and cougars, moose just want to stomp them but 3 dogs can make them work up a sweat. dogs will bring bears and moose that have young right back to you. hope your friend heals up ok. danny
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hope he recovers quickly. Is there an unusual amount of bears this year?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Probably not an unusual amount, but most maulings in that area this year have been sows with cubs, and two of them were on Fort Richardson and one at Bird Creek, areas which have a lot of humans in close proximity to bears and not really any hunting of bears.

Most of the comments in on the news articles come from Anchorage-dwelling liberals who don't really know much, and despite what they say, there is a large bear population in the Anchorage area itself. A part of Campbell Creek in Anchorage has heavier bear sign than most places I have been in Alaska.

Maulings happen every year, they are just downplayed by those who don't want to believe bears are dangerous. We are fortunate that most human/bear encounters result in the bear choosing to hide or move off before the human even knows it was there. If they were a more aggressive animal, or more likely to prey on people, we would either have a lot less humans or a lot less bears. Probably the latter.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

7.62 Precision wrote:Oh, yeah. A bear can do some pretty major damage in a short time. He got off pretty easy, but it might have been a lot worse if he did not shoot the bear.

I shot one that was coming in my house after my kids when I lived in Anchorage. I was pretty worried afterward, but it didn't hit the newspapers. I think the police and wildlife troopers kept it quiet.

People will be especially violently angry about this one, since she had a cub.

Having the right dog can help. In my case, the first thing I did as the kids were heading to the house and my wife was grabbing my rifle was send the dog out the door. He went right after the bear and delayed it; though it did bypass him, it gave the kids a chance to get to the house. He did not run from the bear or come back to me for safety - he tried to block the bear from approaching.

The wrong dog will bring the bear right to you, but even then it will often at least alert you.

This is the next dog I want:
Really, in the grand scheme of things, big deal about the cub. If momma's aggressive, she will teach the little one to be as well. 2 problem bears. Too bad about it; but what's important?

Brown bears didn't get on the threatened list over there, did they?

Nice looking dogs. I would be tempted to get a couple. We have one dog right now, and she's a good little guard dog, but 2 dogs would be so much more of a handful for something/someone with bad intentions.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

In Alaska, there are too many brown bear in many places right now.

The Karelian Bear Dogs are pretty impressive. They say one can hold a bear in one place, while two can move the bear where they want it. In Scandinavia they used to send them after moose - a couple of them could kill a moose. The moose there are much smaller than here, but that is still an impressive accomplishment.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Tactical Lever wrote:
Really, in the grand scheme of things, big deal about the cub. If momma's aggressive, she will teach the little one to be as well. 2 problem bears. Too bad about it; but what's important?

for those more familiar than me on such things, whats the survival rate on a cub separated from its momma ? I guess it would depend on how old/big the cub was already

Regarding momma being aggressive, --- not sure --- a bear is just being a bear. You dont expect them to lie down and cower to a 150-250 pound human on their own turf do ya?

If a person lives in Alaska that close to nature, they have already made the decision to be at peace with such things --- admittedly, man is the greatest Alpha predator because of our manipulation of machinery , but there are times and places where we can be taken down a peg or two
----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

7.62 Precision wrote: People will be especially violently angry about this one, since she had a cub.
What the heck was he supposed to do, roll over and die? Geez. :roll:
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Streetstar wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:

for those more familiar than me on such things, whats the survival rate on a cub separated from its momma ? I guess it would depend on how old/big the cub was already

Regarding momma being aggressive, --- not sure --- a bear is just being a bear. You dont expect them to lie down and cower to a 150-250 pound human on their own turf do ya?

If a person lives in Alaska that close to nature, they have already made the decision to be at peace with such things --- admittedly, man is the greatest Alpha predator because of our manipulation of machinery , but there are times and places where we can be taken down a peg or two
Not very good odds of surviving if its little. A big bear will likely make a snack of it.

Sure it was a bear being a bear. A bear that ran up to a guy and chewed on him, when she had already chased the dogs away. Did the dogs aggravate the bear? Maybe.

That was not just the bears turf. The guy had just as much right to be there. Just where are people allowed to live?

The only reason that anyone would say that "we could be taken down a peg or two", is when its a guy that we don't know getting mauled, who happened to win.

I guarantee that if it was your dad, your mom, or your wife pushing a stroller, there would not even be a question of whether the bear should have been shot. Just imagine if the bear mowing down your wife and baby and tell me you'd feel the same.

Not hardly.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

7.62 Precision wrote:He had to have surgery on his hand to repair tendons but both his shoulder and hand were just puncture wounds, not tearing. Small sow plus a .44 magnum equaled non-lifethreatening injuries.

Wow! Who are these bleeding hearts that are so dangerous that the man's name has to be kept protected? Not doubting you, just amazed. There must be a lot of animal rights people up there. I could be wrong, but here in Arkansas, I would have a hard time seeing someone get all up in arms, about killing a bear, or a bull, or a dog in self defense. But maybe I am sheltered, as the circles I walk in are full of hunters, cattlemen, and construction workers, mostly.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Tactical Lever wrote:
Streetstar wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:

The only reason that anyone would say that "we could be taken down a peg or two", is when its a guy that we don't know getting mauled, who happened to win.

I guarantee that if it was your dad, your mom, or your wife pushing a stroller, there would not even be a question of whether the bear should have been shot. Just imagine if the bear mowing down your wife and baby and tell me you'd feel the same.

Not hardly.

TL, Doesnt sound like there is any winner here-- merely a survivor Perhaps he would have been better off wearing a shirt stating that "humans and bears should get along". --- perhaps Mrs Bear would understand that?
Maybe if he had explained to her in a rational fashion that he and his yapping dogs meant the cub no harm, she would have understood that

This wasnt your wife and baby, nor was it mine, --- no sense making assumptions or guarantees about how i would "feel".
----- Doug
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Streetstar wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:
Streetstar wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:

Not hardly.

TL, Doesnt sound like there is any winner here-- merely a survivor Perhaps he would have been better off wearing a shirt stating that "humans and bears should get along". --- perhaps Mrs Bear would understand that?
Maybe if he had explained to her in a rational fashion that he and his yapping dogs meant the cub no harm, she would have understood that

This wasnt your wife and baby, nor was it mine, --- no sense making assumptions or guarantees about how i would "feel".
I don't think that he feels he is the winner either, but I'm sure he is glad he survived. Reading some of the comments on the story, I'm not sure its a shared emotion.

Well, I know how you would feel. Nothing wrong with it, I think we would all feel the same way. I was just commenting on your perceptions and more to the comment that the guy was on the "bears turf" and should expect that. Or more specifically the undertone/comment that he or some people should have been taken down a notch. If we're honest with ourselves, that comment would not have slipped out if it involved your family. Would it? Feel free to agree or disagree, I would like to know.

I think we mostly agree on the issue; I feel that it was a justified shooting, maybe you feel otherwise? I am agreement with the shirt comment, but some of the other things said are throwing me a little.

I will never put an animals importance before a humans. No matter how capable an outdoorsman, or regardless of whether its felt that they were in the wrong or should have known better.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

7.62 Precision wrote:In Alaska, there are too many brown bear in many places right now.

The Karelian Bear Dogs are pretty impressive. They say one can hold a bear in one place, while two can move the bear where they want it. In Scandinavia they used to send them after moose - a couple of them could kill a moose. The moose there are much smaller than here, but that is still an impressive accomplishment.
Never heard of them before . After some quick reading , it seems you could feed 2 of those for what it costs to feed one Akita. I've always loved the Akitas . Great dogs and also fearless .
Phil
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

1894 wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:In Alaska, there are too many brown bear in many places right now.

Never heard of them before . After some quick reading , it seems you could feed 2 of those for what it costs to feed one Akita. I've always loved the Akitas . Great dogs and also fearless .
They look very Akita-esque themselves, don't they? Or is it just me?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Lastmohecken wrote: Wow! Who are these bleeding hearts that are so dangerous that the man's name has to be kept protected? Not doubting you, just amazed. There must be a lot of animal rights people up there. I could be wrong, but here in Arkansas, I would have a hard time seeing someone get all up in arms, about killing a bear, or a bull, or a dog in self defense. But maybe I am sheltered, as the circles I walk in are full of hunters, cattlemen, and construction workers, mostly.
Anchorage is full of liberals who are flooding in from California, bringing their smog-addled big city ideals with them. These are added to the millionaire Greenpeace/Enviro-activist directors who get fat off old ladies' pension checks and live in multi-million-dollar houses up on the hillside. On top of that, the majority of Anchorage residents don't ever leave the Anchorage area, except maybe a trip to Seward, or Homer, if they are especially adventuresome, to do a little fishing. So within the Anchorage area, people have no clue why Alaska is, yet they push their own agenda on the rest of the state, since Alaska is only about an hour from Anchorage.

Some years back, a guy walked out of his house in downtown Anchorage, on his way to work with coffee and car keys in hand, only to see his neighbor in his own driveway being mauled by a bear. He shot the bear and saved his neighbor's life. The bear had three small cubs. He caught one right off, caught one later, and spent several days tracking down and catching the third. They are all in various zoos today.

The story hit the news and his life came apart. His phone rang non-stop with people calling death threats until he changed the number. His mailbox filled to overflowing with threatening letters. People came and vandalized his home, broke out his windows, graffitied the walls, wrecked his vehicle, protested in his driveway in the middle of the night, etc.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Our last Akita :

Phil
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

As far as the sentiment that the bears were here first and that we live in their territory, and that somehow gives them the right to kill people - I believe that is flawed logic. In America, we have learned to hate ourselves, and put everything else above ourselves.

First, the whole who came first argument is flawed. In the natural world, populations and species move, migrate over time, rise and fall, and things change. It is part of nature. For example, people have always said that the Native Americans were here in North America first, then Europeans came later. Now we have evidence that Europeans were here first, Native Americans came later, Chinese came in ships and traded with them and traveled in North America, and Europeans showed up again later, though some Europeans came to the Atlantic coast to fish throughout much of history. And how do we know that there was not some people here before those first Europeans arrived? And no matter who was here first, it does not justify atrocities on either side, nor does it remove the right of self-defense from one side or another.

There has almost always been people in Alaska, coming in right on the heels on an ice age along with mammoths and marmots and bears. So who was here first?

The bear kills the moose calf because it is in the bear's nature. The bear needs to eat too survive. The moose kills the bear to protect her calf, if she can, it is in her nature. The bear is designed to kill and eat moose calves. The bear is a predator. That is the bear's place in nature. No one expects the bear to stop killing moose calves, and no one begrudges the moose the right to defend her calf.

The bear attacks anything she perceives as a threat to her cub. That is her nature, and no one denies her the right to protect her cub. She sometimes attacks a creature that is not a threat, but she does not reason out intent, or apply a threat matrix, she simply acts on her instincts. Humans have existed alongside of bears here as long as Alaska has been inhabited by either species. Humans are the apex predator. They were on more even terms with bears when they used spears and bows, but the use of firearms makes humans only marginally safer in the presence of bears.

Sometimes bears kill humans, sometimes humans kill bears. It is part of nature that the two species will hunt each other.

On the other hand, if a bear attacks a human, no matter the reason, it is only natural and only right that the human would defend himself, just as it is only natural and only right that a moose will defend her calf, or that a wounded bear will wait in the brush too ambush the human who wounded it. Self-defense is a natural right. found throughout nature - every predator has weapons designed for offensive and defensive use and every prey species has weapons or measures designed for self-defense.

The nudibranch takes the offensive poison harpoons from the sea anemone and arms itself with them for it's own defense against predators. Who's rights are being violated there; the anenome, the nudibranch that attacked the anenome, or the fish that attacked the nudibranch?

It is the balance of nature, of which we, as living creatures, are a part.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

But rather than derail this thread further, I'll send my prayers for the healing of the person mauled .
Phil
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Tactical Lever wrote:[.

My comment on being able to be "taken down a notch or two" - was not specfic to this situation --- just an observation that, there are places and situations where we are not the dominant animal anymore , whether its bears, wolf packs, big pigs or any number of things in Africa. We are slower, we move awkward, have less effective natural defense mechanisms, but at 150-250 pounds more or less, a human is still large enough to potentially be viewed as a threat to another animal

The victim recognized this, and carried a .44 Mag to compensate (i would too -- i routinely carry my Glock 20 when i am in cougar country down here in western Oklahoma ) -- as far as whether a shoot was justified? It was the only choice he had under the circumstances

The point i was trying to make with my comment about wearing a t-shirt in the woods saying your "cool with bears" is that a bear doesnt know any boundary lines ----- the bears territory is anywhere it perceives it to be. Humans are territorial too , if i see a trespasser cross the fence on the back section of my small farm, i will confront them and see what their business is on my territory - its usually a kid taking a shortcut to a nearby fishing hole, or someone looking for a lost pet, -- but i cant tell that from 300 yards away

So on one hand , I am glad the man survived with injuries that will heal and hopefully wont cause permanent pain ---

on the other hand, yes , i'm sad a bear died under the circumstances and a cub may as well, because it sounds like the bear was just being a bear (but were i in the man's shoes , i also would not have hesitated, not for a split second )

The guy 7.62 mentioned who prevented his neighbor from being killed AND then trapped the 3 orphaned cubs is a hero on both counts --- and its despicable that people would vandalize his home/threaten him but nothing the screaming left does surprises me anymore
----- Doug
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

7.62 Precision wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote: Wow! Who are these bleeding hearts that are so dangerous that the man's name has to be kept protected? Not doubting you, just amazed. There must be a lot of animal rights people up there. I could be wrong, but here in Arkansas, I would have a hard time seeing someone get all up in arms, about killing a bear, or a bull, or a dog in self defense. But maybe I am sheltered, as the circles I walk in are full of hunters, cattlemen, and construction workers, mostly.
Anchorage is full of liberals who are flooding in from California, bringing their smog-addled big city ideals with them. These are added to the millionaire Greenpeace/Enviro-activist directors who get fat off old ladies' pension checks and live in multi-million-dollar houses up on the hillside. On top of that, the majority of Anchorage residents don't ever leave the Anchorage area, except maybe a trip to Seward, or Homer, if they are especially adventuresome, to do a little fishing. So within the Anchorage area, people have no clue why Alaska is, yet they push their own agenda on the rest of the state, since Alaska is only about an hour from Anchorage.

Some years back, a guy walked out of his house in downtown Anchorage, on his way to work with coffee and car keys in hand, only to see his neighbor in his own driveway being mckeauled by a bear. He shot the bear and saved his neighbor's life. The bear had three small cubs. He caught one right off, caught one later, and spent several days tracking down and catching the third. They are all in various zoos today.

The story hit the news and his life came apart. His phone rang non-stop with people calling death threats until he changed the number. His mailbox filled to overflowing with threatening letters. People came and vandalized his home, broke out his windows, graffitied the walls, wrecked his vehicle, protested in his driveway in the middle of the night, etc.
I thought it would be the part time residents that would be the problem. The ones that stay long enough for the breaks and then leave to their other home.

Pretty sickening that the guy was given that much trouble. And a little funny that they would be ballsy enough to give the guy trouble after he killed a bear, and caught all the cubs. Many people would have just let them go, or killed them.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Streetstar wrote:

My comment on being able to be "taken down a notch or two" - was not specfic to this situation --- just an observation that, there are places and situations where we are not the dominant animal anymore , whether its bears, wolf packs, big pigs or any number of things in Africa. We are slower, we move awkward, have less effective natural defense mechanisms, but at 150-250 pounds more or less, a human is still large enough to potentially be viewed as a threat to another animal

The victim recognized this, and carried a .44 Mag to compensate (i would too -- i routinely carry my Glock 20 when i am in cougar country down here in western Oklahoma ) -- as far as whether a shoot was justified? It was the only choice he had under the circumstances

The point i was trying to make with my comment about wearing a t-shirt in the woods saying your "cool with bears" is that a bear doesnt know any boundary lines ----- the bears territory is anywhere it perceives it to be. Humans are territorial too , if i see a trespasser cross the fence on the back section of my small farm, i will confront them and see what their business is on my territory - its usually a kid taking a shortcut to a nearby fishing hole, or someone looking for a lost pet, -- but i cant tell that from 300 yards away

So on one hand , I am glad the man survived with injuries that will heal and hopefully wont cause permanent pain ---

on the other hand, yes , i'm sad a bear died under the circumstances and a cub may as well, because it sounds like the bear was just being a bear (but were i in the man's shoes , i also would not have hesitated, not for a split second )

The guy 7.62 mentioned who prevented his neighbor from being killed AND then trapped the 3 orphaned cubs is a hero on both counts --- and its despicable that people would vandalize his home/threaten him but nothing the screaming left does surprises me anymore
Thanks for clarifying. I wholeheartedly agree. Sorry if I sounded like a dork when I misunderstood your first post.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Momma. Cubs. All can say is this-- pretty much explains why cubs are not cute and cuddly.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Got an update today - he was going to be in church this morning but did not make it. He is home though, and his arm and shoulder is stiff and one hand, but sounds like he will be fine. He lives a ways off the road, and they have to walk in or take snow machines. He was walking when the dogs ran forward and came back with the bear after them. He dove under some thick alders which prevented the bear from injuring him when it seated at him, so the bear reached in and grabbed him by one arm and was dragging him out. He though he fired three shots, with the second being under the bear's chin up into her head, and when she did not let go, he reached around and put the third shot into her ribs. After investigating it was found that he had shot all 6 rounds from his .44 mag Blackhawk. The one that stopped her was his last round. He had talked to me about some issue with that revolver before, but I can't remember what it was or what the resolution was, but fortunately it was in good working condition now.

He was shooting one handed while the bear tore up his other arm and shoulder. He got six shots off in the time it took the bear to drag him out, one handed with a single-action revolver, and stopped the attack before the bear could do really serious damage.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Tactical Lever wrote:
Streetstar wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. I wholeheartedly agree. Sorry if I sounded like a dork when I misunderstood your first post.

Naah -- i use an I-pad a lot with the little voice recognition microphone instead of typing --- sometimes i'll throw something out there that doesnt make good sense although i know what i was trying to say
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

7.62 Precision wrote:
He was shooting one handed while the bear tore up his other arm and shoulder. He got six shots off in the time it took the bear to drag him out, one handed with a single-action revolver, and stopped the attack before the bear could do really serious damage.
:o :o -- its amazing to me how when in the face of danger and with our hearts racing at 200 bpm, we humans can at times muster up the focus to perform seemingly ninja like feats to defend ourselves or loved ones
----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

My Akita was the most beautiful dog I ever owned, and way too smart.
They don't age gracefully, though, and it broke my heart.
PackinPreacher
Levergunner

Post by PackinPreacher »

Wow. What an amazing thread!
I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God ... Romans 1:16
NRA Life Member, SAF Member
VietNam Era Vet (USN/USNR CTT2)
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

He was in church yesterday. He is doing well other than fighting infection, which can be very serious.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

bulldog1935 wrote:My Akita was the most beautiful dog I ever owned, and way too smart.
I have heard they often have mental/personality issues when they age, is that true?

I know that they are one of those breeds that require knowledge and skill to own. A lot of them are wrecked by owners that don't know how to correctly manage their energy, confidence, desire for dominance, and need for interaction with their owners.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

In the few years I lived in Anchoage, the Score was something like Moose 5, Fishy Game Cops 6.

Remember the old Oriental guy who got killed on the UAA campus because the Libtard College Kids had been throwing snowballs at it previously?

I used to Ski the trails between my place overlooking Diamond Lake and work... saw Moose & Bear, but they never bothered me... Quid Pro Quo...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

7.62 Precision wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:My Akita was the most beautiful dog I ever owned, and way too smart.
I have heard they often have mental/personality issues when they age, is that true?

I know that they are one of those breeds that require knowledge and skill to own. A lot of them are wrecked by owners that don't know how to correctly manage their energy, confidence, desire for dominance, and need for interaction with their owners.
They look tired when they get old , doubt they are any more or less susceptible to having issues as they age from pains , loss of hearing , eyesight getting worse, etc etc.

Old phart at 13 , his last trip to camp . RIP Smokey Bear.

Phil