My 'new' Marlin made in 1975 (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

My 'new' Marlin made in 1975 (photos)

Post by KirkD »

I was thinking I needed more 30-30's (at the advice of a fellow forum member) with at least one having a scope for low light use. That way, in a tight spot, the family all shoots the same caliber and we can toss bags of ammo at each other if the need arises. When I saw this Marlin 336 Carbine made in 1976 come up for sale, I made the big move. Not sure who made the scope, as I can find no name or model number anywhere on it. It appears to be 1975 vintage as well. I figured if the carbine shoots accurately, I may splurge for a low-magnification, water-proof, quality scope. I've shot a few 3-shot groups with it and they were all around an 1" at 100 yards. Yesterday, I figured I'd splurge and shoot a five-shot group at 100 yards. I rested the forearm on a rest and cradled the buttstock on my shoulder. With the scope, I could see that the crosshairs were still moving around plus or minus 1/2" at 100 yards. To really know what this gun will do, I would need to fire it from a proper bench rest or anchor that buttstock on something a bit more solid than my fist (sandbag would do it) but still, I can tell I got a good shooter for sure. This brings my 30-30 stable to three. One takedown and two carbines. Why am I so stingy with my shooting? Well, that Hornady 170 grain JSP is expensive and I'd much rather shoot cast bullets. Unfortunately, I only have a sizer for .309 at the moment, and this microgroove rifling needs .311. Right now, my .309 cast bullets are giving my a five-shot group of 3 & 3/8" at 100 yards. From what I hear, that will tighten up significantly if I go to .311.

Here is the five shot group I shot yesterday. I only shot the one.

Here is the only other five-shot group I've done with this carbine at 100 yards (different crosshairs setting). Four shots into 5/8" and the flyer extending it to 1 & 9/16.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My 'new' Marlin made in 1975 (photos)

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW when I had a carload of Marlin 30-30's towards the end I shot .312" sized bullets in all the ones I shot cast be it old pre 1920's , micro groove or fairly recent manufacture Ballard rifled .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Also FWIW just about all of mine liked the Lyman 311041 , the Ranch Dig 311-165GC and of all things the Lee 309-170GC .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
johnny-xring
Levergunner

Post by johnny-xring »

I agree--you have a keeper! I have a 1969 mfg. Westernfield (Montgomery Ward's Marlin 336) that I had put aside. I have shot factory Remington 150 & 170 gr and some Hornady LE (almost becomes a lever .308 Winchester but $$$). Finally started messing around with cast bullets using some Lee 155 2R which, yes, are spitzers. I understand about the tube magazine safety aviso but decided to try them-one in chamber and one (1) in magazine. They were .312 by micrometer and weigh 160+ with lube and gascheck. I have the Lyman 173 gr mold and some other 30 caliber molds but got to get them up to about .312. Man, those Lees shoot great but the powder is some surplus stuff that is really oddball so forget about giving the loading data. I'm fortunate that I have a gob of it and can save the other stuff (Reloader 7, 4895, etc.). I have an inexpensive 4X shorty scope on it and I think this rifle is the winner winner/chicken dinner for the choice. I have bigger and more magazine capacity ones but--? I am going "old school" and have no regrets. My 2 cents.

JX
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Looks like I should get a .312 sizer then. Thanks for the info.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kirk bushnell makes a nice little 1-4x32 banner scope with 6" eye relief I picked one up for a project 30-30. a cast bullet and a healthy dose of 5744 should make that a dandy deer bear rifle. danny
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Nice shooting Carbine. Kirk try that Accurate 115 gr 32-20 bullet, in my 32 special I paper patch them and shoot them over 18 grs of IMR4759. I think you and that Carbine may really like it. It may make a perfect plinker for you, with a powder it likes.
Is Hornady still making the flat points in .308? I know they have suspended them in .321, they have serious smack down :)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

EdinCT wrote: Is Hornady still making the flat points in .308?
I don't know for sure, but I bought this box within the past year.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good decision, cutting edge of going forward in time. Leupold 1.5-5x is the top of the line choice.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The versatility of the Marlins will grow on You Kirk. I have five Marlins, two have scopes mounted and the other two have Williams receiver sights. only the 32-20 still uses the issued sights. looking for the perfect small scope for it. :D . Good Shooting.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That is a long range varmint rig you have there Kirk....good snag!
:D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I don't care if it is a Marlin, that is a fine looking rifle. Although I can't see it replacing 'OL Savage Sam as the camp rifle on those long canoe trips.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It looks like it's been well cared for since 1975, I'm glad it has found a good home.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote:Kirk, I don't care if it is a Marlin, that is a fine looking rifle. Although I can't see it replacing 'OL Savage Sam as the camp rifle on those long canoe trips.
You are right, Jerry. 'Old Savage', my Winchester Carbine, is still my 'working gun' of choice. It is lighter, more compact without a scope, and has iron sights, which I find preferable at short to medium ranges. Imagine waking up in a tent at night with a bear or a couple 150 pound Timber Wolves checking me out in the pitch dark. I find it easier to 'barrel-aim' a rifle in close up work when a scope or sights are either useless or there is no time, and have done it many times with remarkable success in putting animals down or taking care of Groundhogs when they pop out of their hole a few feet away and I cannot raise the rifle to my shoulder without scaring them. A scope, on the other hand, throws me off when barrel aiming with the rifle half way up the side of the chest, rather than on the shoulder.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Lovely rifle, congrats. Seems to shoot just fine!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool! 1975-manufacture for you it downright recent! :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Kirk just don't try to shoot cast boolits in such a new rifle with micro-gruz :lol: :P I just wonder how long you'll be happy with a such new modern firearm. Great carbines if is it indeed a Leoupold you got a great deal. If it the Marlin scope they will take a beating, mine did and never lost zero. I still regret selling mine but it was a friend's 1st rifle so I take solace in that fact.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The scope is definitely not a Leopold. It does, however, hold its zero in about 40 or 50 rounds of shooting. It is not bad with cast bullets at 100 yards, but they are sized to .309. I'll be getting a sizer for .312 which, according to others, will do the trick with the micro groove rifling.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

KirkD -- very nice M-336, I transitioned back to a Glenfield 30A in .30WCF last year (vintage 1978)...you really made a good choice...good shooter too... :)
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

KirkD wrote:The scope is definitely not a Leopold. It does, however, hold its zero in about 40 or 50 rounds of shooting. It is not bad with cast bullets at 100 yards, but they are sized to .309. I'll be getting a sizer for .312 which, according to others, will do the trick with the micro groove rifling.
KirkD, when I started loading for my 30A, I didn't know any better and sized all my boolits to .308. Never had an issue with leading or keyholing. One of my loads was a Lee 113gr Soupcan, with a max load of 3031 meant for a 110gr RN jacketed Hornady. It grouped around 2" at 100 yards. There was absolutely no leading. Even my squirrels loads that were only doing 900fps or so never leaded. So it was a surprise to me when I found out micro-groove wasn't good for cast unles kept below 1600fps according to Lyman manuals. I tried loading a jacketed .312 HP in my 30/30 but would not chamber in my current M94. So will probably have to size down to .309.

As far as the scopes go Marlin outsourced them (was told in '76) from a Japanese company, My cheap scope was every bit as clear and my brother's Weaver K4 he bought new '76. Wish I still had it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking gun. the idea of several guns which use the same ammunition is a good idea to me. We have 3 .30-06 rifles, 2 .30-30 rifles, 3 .243 rifles, 2 .223 rifles, 2 7.62x39 riles, a rifle/pistol combo in .480 Ruger, several .22 lr rifles and pistols, a .40 S&W pistol and Kel Tec carbine that use the same magazines as well as the same ammo, several shotguns in 20 gauge, several in 12 gauge, and a rifle/pistol combo in .44 Magnum. There are lots of possibilities for my family to go hunting and all of us use the same ammo. Now, we need to get time off together.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Very nice Marlin! I have two; one was made in 1969 and the other in 1988. Both have Micro-Groove rifling. Recently, after a long back-order, I got in some Beartooth 173 grain cast bullets (sized 0.310") with gas checks. I'm currently shooting them loaded over 23.0 grains of 3031, which is a fairly light load, but I'm pleased with the accuracy in the 1988 rifle. That one has a Williams peep. The 1969 rifle has a 1-3X20 Weaver scope. In it I'm shooting Hornady 160 grain FTX bullets over 32.0 grains of LEVERevolution powder. I'm very pleased with the accuracy of that load. While I'm looking forward to deer season, basically they're just a lot of fun to shoot! You'll enjoy yours I'm sure.