What's your BBQ tool of choice?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

What's your BBQ tool of choice?

Post by CowboyTutt »

Since its almost the 4th of July, I thought I would ask a question as to what the members here use as their BBQ or smoker of choice?

I've been using an older Bradley Electric Smoker for years now, and it's wearing out finally. Its worked pretty well for me, but I had to learn to reduce the smoke time because it could be over-powering. Also, I didn't know until later that electric smokers are banned from competition BBQ. They don't make the same combustion gases that cause the meat to turn pink. That being said, I got a lot of good years service out of this, and it cooks surprisingly fast! 220 to 250 degrees tops is all you need. I've made some of the juiciest whole chicken and best pork ribs in this thing.

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/b ... 7AodvhQAsA

Last year, I decided I needed a BBQ that could do direct heat cooking too. I had a Weber Gold kettle for years, and have to say, it worked very well and lasted for many years. Hard to beat for the price. But after agonizing over it, I went with a Portable Kitchen or PK grill that smokes and grills. They last forever and are a reproduction of the original PK grill. They are a "poor man's" Green Egg and they really do trap moisture in and cook food evenly. Their only draw-back is they are a little small although they can be tweeked with some accessories. They also have a huge amount of support in how to cook with them from the factory including recipes. Its probably the last charcoal BBQ I will ever buy. It does have the benefit of being portable because of its smaller size.

http://www.pkgrills.com/

I want to supplement it with these for direct grilling of steaks. These are the bomb on the steak competition circuit.

http://www.mygrillgrate.com/?gclid=CKSu ... 7AodgEIA1A

Lastly, I stumbled upon these and might try them for my next smoker since my electric one is wearing out finally. I had a friend in Hollister, CA who had a home made version of these using a 50 gallon steel drum. He put whole wood into it, put the lid on it, and to this day made the best whole chicken I have ever had multiple times. I can come very close with my Bradley, but he still had me beat! So when I found these, it made sense to me.

http://pitbarrelcooker.com/

You can do perfectly well with any number of common grills and smokers, but like a fine Levergun, I try to look for a good tool anymore. Most of the time it boils down to the cook and his expertise with his grill or smoker of choice! And judging from the "July 4th Puerco" thread, some of you guys have it down!!!!! :lol: 8)

But its nice to share information too. I love a good cooking tool! There are some really neat "wireless meat thermometers" out there now. They are on my "to buy" list too. Please share what you use and how it works for you!!!!

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Re: What's your BBQ tool of choice?

Post by ethang »

Weber Gold for me here. Smoking, grilling, pan frying, used it last weekend to cook a rhubarb pie, it does it all. Since I got it last year I have not even fired up the old propane grill. I use a Thermapen for temps, but plan to get either a Maverick or the similar probe thermometer for long cooks.

When it's time to move on from the Weber I think a Green Egg is going to be it.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Open fire with a stainless steel grate.

Don't know what took me so long to stop using contraptions like charcoal or gas grills :D
(might have something to do with open fire requiring me to plan ahead :lol: Gotta give it time to make good coals)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lately, I've been blackening in a cast iron skillet...crunchy on the outside, rare in the middle....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I've gone full circle.
I'm back to a basic heavy duty charcoal park grill.
I use the real hardwood charcoal.
Food just seems to taste the best grilled over real charcoal.
Last edited by cshold on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've been using the "EASY" button (Weber Q-300, below) for over 8 years now - but we don't like smoked meats, or do much specialty cooking outdoors (generally).

Also, I don't have the patience to awaiting wood/charcoal to prepare itself, after lighting.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pat is currently using an 18 1/2" Weber.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't have the patience to smoke or properly BBQ anything.

For the time it takes, I'll drive to a restaurant where a certified pit-master does it right.

When we grill, the wife prefers the Stainless LP 5-burner and I prefer using charcoal.

She makes food. I play with fire.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We have been using Weber charcoal grills for along time. gave the old one to My daughter and got a fancy 22" one with the pot to catch the coals. can cook about anything on them. I find it funny as anything when I cook a big rib steak for a guest that only has a gas grill, the look on their face is most always the same. :o . never owned gas, never will.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Dang when you said BBQ tool of choice I was gonna say my Vaquero or my Commander, I thought we were gonna see some slick shooting irons.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

.45colt wrote: I find it funny as anything when I cook a big rib steak for a guest that only has a gas grill, the look on their face is most always the same. :o . never owned gas, never will.
I find it funny that so many people make such a big deal of grilling on charcoal. I used to do it, back when I had lots of time and not much to do. It was great, but I grill almost every night all year round. I don't have time for waiting on the coals.

When I'm old(er) and can't cut firewood, fix fences, and do all the other chores around here, I will probably skip back over charcoal grilling and go back to basics. Wood. 'til then, it's gas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

For most outdoor cooking I just use the gas grill . Quick and easy .
I have dipped my toe into the world of low and slow BBQ and it's fun. Just a cheap chargriller with the offset fire box is what I have and with the help of some good forums I can usually turn out some good stuff .
Phil
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BrentD wrote:
.45colt wrote: I find it funny as anything when I cook a big rib steak for a guest that only has a gas grill, the look on their face is most always the same. :o . never owned gas, never will.
but I grill almost every night all year round. I don't have time for waiting on the coals.

Brent's sentiments are roughly my own --- grilling is an important part of my weekly food prep as i eat a lot of chicken and usually cook 4-5 pounds at a time to last 3-4 days. I use a infrared char-broil brand cooker from Lowes that is small enough to fit in a limited space patio

The Char broil brand is not a boutique brand, and the infrared racks are rusting out after a few years of abuse and improper cleaning --- but it is still working well for me

In the final stages of completing my long term house project though, so i hope to add a nice "man cave" style party grill in the next year or 2, who knows
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm still using a 40+ year old gas grill from Sears, Roebuck & Co. I've rebuilt it 3 times, The cast aluminum body is about the only original part left. As long as Sears still carries the parts, I'll fix it. Has "lava" rocks between flame & mear, sometimes I'll sprinkle mesquite chips on the rocks for a little smoke, but usually not as the wife prefers plain grilled steaks to smoked anything. Just can't beat years of fat drippin's for added flavor!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 40 year old back up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:The 40 year old back up.
Someone ripped off my Weber Smokey Joe :evil: It was real handy for going in the woods....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comments. I find waiting 15 minutes for the charcoal relaxing after a day at work.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sounds like the Weber is still America's BBQ! They do work well and are pretty durable. My PK should last forever. I would like to have a Thermapen and a Maverick myself.

I enjoy cooking over an open fire when camping and even have a folding grate I would take with me sometimes. Some of the best cooking I have done is just to double wrap meat in heavy duty foil and put it directly into the camp fire. I use welding gloves to flip it. You can still sear the meat this way because the temp is so high, but it also keeps all the juices in.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

walks with gun wrote:Dang when you said BBQ tool of choice I was gonna say my Vaquero or my Commander, I thought we were gonna see some slick shooting irons.

Well, here's a Bar-B-Que gun.................. ;)

Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I use a Cookshack electric smoker for my BBQ and a gas grill for my grilling. Have been contemplating a Traegar type grill to try BBQing with. Heard they work great, but man are they $$$
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My all time favorite tool/tools for BBQ is a knife and fork... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:The 40 year old back up.
8)
Last edited by cshold on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Seem to get the best taste from a Traeger. http://www.traegergrills.com/
It is not the critic who counts
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

One word: WEBER!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

You guy's are all light weight's :lol:

I like lots of hardwood coals and smoke

http://media9.dropshots.com/photos/1408 ... 002211.jpg

--------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Cowboy Tutt,

"They don't make the same combustion gases that cause the meat to turn pink."

Where can I read more.

I too use a Bradley.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Bullard, I found some info at Amazing ribs, a really fantastic site for BBQ stuff. The theory goes like this:
The AmazingRibs.com science advisor Dr. Greg Blonder explains why there is no smoke ring: "Electrics have low airflow since there is none needed for combustions. The lack of oxygen tends to lower the smoldering temp of the wood, which tips dozens of chemical reactions in a different direction than with other fuels. Wrong mix and levels of normal combustion gases, carbon monoxide and nitrogen monoxide." To get a smoke ring, add one or two charcoal briquets to the woodbox of an electric. They produce gases that help create a pink smoke ring.

Another drawback: Most barbecue competitions do not permit electric cookers, so if you ever thought about going for the gold...
You can read the whole article here:

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide ... okers.html

I also found this one which I had not seen before. Its a very good technical article.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... _ring.html

Enjoy! -Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Here's a great page on searing steaks. The 5 minute video is well worth watching. -Tutt

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/extreme_steak.html

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CowboyTutt wrote:Here's a great page on searing steaks. The 5 minute video is well worth watching. -Tutt

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/extreme_steak.html
The best sear I know how to get is in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and butter.....After it's blackened on both sides, it's done with a warm, blood red inside....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

After it's blackened on both sides, it's done with a warm, blood red inside....
Now that's a steak for a true carnivore to be sure! :lol: Does it got hot enough to melt some of the marbled fat? That's the one thing I think a charcoal BBQ does best (as they got hotter than the typical gas grill.) The fat melts on a good rib eye and everything gets nice and tender and juicy. Slurp. :lol: -Tutt

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CowboyTutt wrote:
After it's blackened on both sides, it's done with a warm, blood red inside....
Now that's a steak for a true carnivore to be sure! :lol: Does it got hot enough to melt some of the marbled fat? That's the one thing I think a charcoal BBQ does best (as they got hotter than the typical gas grill.) The fat melts on a good rib eye and everything gets nice and tender and juicy. Slurp. :lol: -Tutt
:) Yup, the fat gets crispy on the outside, and yummy on the inside....Nuttin' goes to waste (only To Waist :lol: )

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Here's a really good article on charcoal and the differences. I've been using Lazzari Mesquite "lump" Charcoal which seems to work for me pretty well and I can usually get it on sale. Then I might add some hardwood chunks like cherry for smoke flavoring. -Tutt

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... rcoal.html

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

side box smoker.
I rushed through a brisket on the 4th. 8 hours at 185 and 3 hours at 250-275.
Came out great - melts in your mouth and juicy beyond words.
Been eating some great pulled beef tacos the past few days.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We have a Traeger pellet grill for low-and slow, and Akorn kamado cooker for the hot stuff. I use the Traeger 90 percent of the time.
For filets, I pan-sear in olive and butter in a cast iron skillet like Blaine, then into a 400-degree oven until I get 122 degrees on the probe, then rest. Great way to eat beef!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I slow-smoke a sirloin roast, then pan-sear tomorrow's 3/4" slices in sesame oil.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Y'all made me hungry...

Seasoned (about 8 years :D ) blackjack oak. Butter, diced potatoes and sliced onion in tin foil. Ribeye after the flames die down. Nothing added but salt and pepper and sour cream.
Beats charcoal hands down. As you can see in the background, I'm in no danger of running out of various oak and hickory.

Wife is happy because there was no mess in the kitchen.
Heat index is over 100 today, but I see country-style pork ribs in my future tonight.
IMG_2245 lg.jpg
IMG_2246 lg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle