444 Marlin Leverevolution Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

444 Marlin Leverevolution Ammo

Post by daisygordoninc »

Anyone have any thoughts on the range of the 444 Marlin with the Hornady Leverevolution Ammo. I think it may extend the range some, anyone have any experience with that? I'm wondering about a scope on my gun.

Gordon
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 444 Marlin Leverevolution Ammo

Post by Win94 »

Be sure your barrel is the new 1 in 20 twist rather than the old microgroove 1 in 38 twist. The older twist rates do not stabilize those leverlution bullets very well and accuracy can be horrendous. I have heard the Leverlutions work in some old 1 in 38 twists but not often. If you have the older 1 in 38 twist rate buy one box and try i guess.....

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

My 444 Marlin is a Winchester 94, wouldn't that have correct rifling?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't see why a 265 grain "regular" Hornady bullet can be ok, but a 265 grain gummy point would not stabilize..... :? :? The old MG barrels were not supposed to be good for the really heavy 300+ grain, but I"ve never tried those....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

BlaineG wrote:I can't see why a 265 grain "regular" Hornady bullet can be ok, but a 265 grain gummy point would not stabilize..... :? :? The old MG barrels were not supposed to be good for the really heavy 300+ grain, but I"ve never tried those....

Its a longer bullet. That is why. As for the Winchester 94. The Black Shadow is a 1 in 12 twist and the other Winchester 94 is a 1 in 20 twist so the poster should be ok either way.....
Last edited by Win94 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

On the Beartooth Bullet tech article page is a 3 article series on the 444 and heavy bullets. Most folks who use the heavier bullets often report good performance with a range up to 325 grains in MG barrels. As is reported often on the Marlin Owners 444 forum "velocity is your friend" with heavier bullets. I've spoken directly to a few guys who get good performance from the Leverevolution cartridge in the MG 444 so it is worth a try. If you have a Ballard barrel 1-20" twist, no worry. A MG barrel will be stamped as such.

A lot of big bore shooters really like big meplat hard cast bullets for hunting.

The bullet does not do as well as some in bullet construction tests, http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-m ... nship.html . I consider it a deer bullet and really like the 265 Hornady. With that bullet is a solid 200 yard rifle for moose. My longest big game shot was 175 yards on a big moose, DRT. I find the reported ballistic coefficient as marginally better than the normal flat points. Hornady's 265gr FTX .225, 265gr FN .189 isn't much of a change in the 444 range. A 300 grain FN will beat the FTX.