Great Grandpa's Watch

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Great Grandpa's Watch

Post by Blaine »

I was looking at the Great Grandparent's wedding pic again, and it ocured to me that I have that watch he's wearing. He gave it to my Grandpa, and it found it's way to me. It's an old Hampden, and it serial numbers out to the correct time period. I pulled it out of storage, wound it up yesterday, and it's keeping time. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Great Grandpa's Watch

Post by OldWin »

That's really neat Blaine. Its great to have links to our past like that.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

8)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have some nice pocket watches myself but my cousin got my grandfather's. I know you will pass it down and take care of it. Great history!
"That'll Be The Day"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Man that is COOL !! :D
I have nothing from my grandparents. They were in the midwest along with the rest of the family and we are on the west coast. Everything was snatched up quick, not that they had anything worth anything. Still I would like to have a keepsake like you have.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have to get another pocket watch.
Can not stand to wear jewelry.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
You are blessed to have it. Do keep it in the family. Make sure it is clearly noted that watch remains in the family.
I have been rebuilding and repairing Pocket watches for near 30 years. Probably the way you are using yours it will last for a hundred years. But do realise as all machines need periodic lubrication, your 's will also one day. Oils evaporate. The new synthetics fare far better. Even jeweled movements will wear on the wheel pivots. Probably you should think about every 10 years with a simple winding once a year. A watch used daily normally should be cleaned and oiled yearly. A once a week watch every 5 years. But in heavy dust conditions or in volcanic dust once a year can be too long.
No I am not drumming up buisness. When I am up north in the US of A I do not have time to clean and oil watches. Maybe one day. I do this strickly as my hobby. I locate, purchase and make functional pocket watches for my own enjoyment. One day when I need to that will be different matter.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's nice Blaine! Mother has one from her great grand pa its gold & as heavy as a boulder
cant re call the name on it

Brad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have one from my great uncle Bobby. I never met him and don't even have the picture of him that I once did. He was killed in 1917 in France. I still cherish that watch though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very, very cool! 8)

I have my grandfather's old pocket watch. I suspect it was my great grandfather's as well. It needs repaired, so I need to get on that. Your post is inspiring me to do so.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cool beans, Blaine! They are hard to keep in good repair... and watch mechanics are getting even more rare than the watches.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Cool beans, Blaine! They are hard to keep in good repair... and watch mechanics are getting even more rare than the watches.
I know I need to get this one (and another one my Uncle picked up in WWII) to a GOOD watch dude, but I don't know how to find one. I'm afraid I'd end up with fake guts in them if I took it to the wrong guy.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Blaine, Griff, Ysable Kid et al,
I currently have a watch out to Govbergwatchrepair.com
Its a Wakmann divers chronogragh that I bought in '78. Turns out that watch was made by Breitling (hot darn !) and has a Valjoux 236 movement.
Anyway these guys are replacing a few parts and I expect return next week. I can only say give them a call, and they do free estimates.
-Brian
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Mescalero wrote:I have to get another pocket watch.
Can not stand to wear jewelry.
I've known guys that take a multi-function plastic watch, remove the bands, and carry it in their pockets. :)
For 2014, Jaegaer-LeCoulter is introducing a pocket watch, but you're gonna have to dig deep for that one.
- Brian
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I also have one my Great-Grandpa's pocket watches.

It's an old Elgin that according to family lore, rode out the 1906 San Francisco earthquake nestled securely in Pop's breast coat pocket.

Image;Image;Image

My Mom gave it to me about 10 years ago, and it generally lives in a 'bottle' on a keepsake shelf in my man-cave.

She gave my brother his (Great Grandpa's) old Remington hunting rifle. He doesn't hunt at all, but I have to admit that he is a dammed fine rifleman.

Supposedly this was the rifle used to feed the family when times were tough, and the prized watch bought when hard work finally paid off.

Not sure why she gave what to whom, but I can live with it. :lol:

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's real nice, Fweidner :D :D

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV