Loading Session

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Loading Session

Post by Griff »

I just finished a loading session on my new bench... 500 rounds split between Cowboy45Special & 45ACP. Wow, it was so nice to know where everything was, with plenty of workspace and NO ONE around. Just me, the clink and clunk of the Dillon... and a Nirvana CD... :roll: All in preparation for the Wild Bunch TX state championship starting tomorrow! HEY! Nothing like putting something off to the last minute... Heck, I've loaded the morning of a match to get the last few rounds I knew would be needed before... so this time, it's like... I planned ahead, no losin' sleep for loading!

200 gr RFN in front of 4.7 grains of TiteGroup... The only trouble was the 25 or so brass "Blazer" cases with small primer pockets! The guy that thunk them up, needs keel-haulin'!!! :evil: :evil:

Was talkin' to a friend that happens to be the match designer... and I mentioned... "I think this'll be the first match I shot since last year..." Joey, always a character... sez, "well... alrighty then... we'll be expecting great things from you!"

Ok, I was just kiddin' about the Nirvana CD... I was listenin' to the local C&W station... don't have a clue what "nirvana" music is like.. and don't care!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Music

Post by BrianSH »

Nirvana music is what you listen too when you watch the Mahabharata. I'm partial to the Peter Brooke version, it's only 6 hours long - gets a lot of 45's & 38's loaded. - Brian
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Loading Session

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote: All in preparation for the Wild Bunch TX state championship starting tomorrow!

Ok, I was just kiddin' about the Nirvana CD... I was listenin' to the local C&W station... don't have a clue what "nirvana" music is like.. and don't care!
Okay...tell me more about the Wild Bunch championship?????

Nirvana is not bad, but Weird Al's "Sounds Like Nirvana" is better :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Good Shootin, Pard :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Have you ever seen the director's cut of " The Wild Bunch " , my favorite movie.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Do you have to draw and fire from a Pike style government holster?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Well, Griff is probably resting up to shoot his girly pistols.... :D

So, I googled and found http://www.lsfsc.com/May%202014%20C%20A%20%20News.pdf

I may have to drive down and check it out.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

vancelw wrote:
Griff wrote: All in preparation for the Wild Bunch TX state championship starting tomorrow!
Okay...tell me more about the Wild Bunch championship?????
WB, 1911, 1897 pump, in either trench gun or civilian form, a lever-action rifle in at least .40 caliber. Loads must meet a 150 power factor, (bullet weight in grains x velocity / 1000; and bullets must weigh at least 180 grains). Targets are set a bit farther back than "cowboy", and while in "cowboy" you can shoot shotgun targets until they are down... in WB, this is not allowed. But... on the positive side, you start with shotgun stoked! Then only downside, 1911s are limited to 5 rounds in the mag... (must be because cowboy shooters can't count past that... 7 would obviously be beyond their mental prowess! :twisted:

Championship consists of 10 stages over Saturday and Sunday. Friday will be a 3 stage practice match... then side events. Side events will continue on Saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon will be a "man-on-man" top gun shoot-off, all entrants welcome to participate.
Mescalero wrote:Do you have to draw and fire from a Pike style government holster?
Nope, I use a "western" styled rig... just as you don't have to dress in military garb... I tend to use my regular cowboy gear except for the rig...
And sometimes I just wear a pair of Levis with a button shirt.
vancelw wrote:Well, Griff is probably resting up to shoot his MANLY GUNS.... :D
So, I googled and found http://www.lsfsc.com/May%202014%20C%20A%20%20News.pdf
I may have to drive down and check it out.
You'd be more'n welcome. All day tomorrow is side matches, along with ammo and gun testing for those present. Saturday will start with the safety meeting, then ammo and gun testing (consists mostly of checking the grip safety and sear). Fixed that first part for ya! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Even with the smiley, the thought of Giff listening to a Nirvana while reloading locked up my brain for a minute....

Chris
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Good luck Griff, and I don't have a clue who or what Nirvana is :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Griff wrote:Ok, I was just kiddin' about the Nirvana CD... I was listenin' to the local C&W station... don't have a clue what "nirvana" music is like.. and don't care!
Imagine a teen-aged boy complaining about you not loaning him your truck, and then degrading into a rant about how hard his life is and that you never support him, and then bursting into tears because your genes didn't give him a big enough dongle. Now imagine you're listening to it off a 78 set to 33 1/3.

Now you've heard a Nirvana song.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock: Wiedner .. that was some description!
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Now, if Nirvana did a song called "Smells like Hoppe's".......... 8)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mescalero wrote::shock: Wiedner .. that was some description!
I have to admit it made me chuckle... :lol:
spaceman spiff wrote:Now, if Nirvana did a song called "Smells like Hoppe's".......... 8)

spaceman
:lol: If it was called, "Smells like No. 9" I would think it smelled like wet dog. (My last dog was the last of the litter of 9. We ran out of names before we got to her so...... My sister, a Star Trek fan, was given Seven of Nine)

Griff, Thanks for fixing that error for me :D I may well come look Sat or Sun. Wish I could have today. I need to find something beside hunting to use all my fine guns in. (except I would have to buy a 1897...boo hoo)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Running a Dillon IS nirvana! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote:Running a Dillon IS nirvana! :D
I really enjoy mine. After nearly 10 years of loadin' all sorts of ammo on a single stage, including production numbers needed to support three shooters shooting at least two, and sometimes 3 or even four matches a month... I was overdue for a progressive.

Anyway... the first day of the match is over... I only "cleaned" one stage... and since I don't shoot to be "competitive"... my times weren't even respectable for an old "duffer". I amble from one position to the next... and since I don't get to do this all the time... every transition needs thinkin' thru! But, gettin' to shoot with old friends is always a hoot! Laughin',ribbin', makin' outrageous claims and challenges... adds to my enjoyment. Gotta be careful with a couple of the shooters... They sometimes get pretty serious.

Shot a couple of the side matches... one was the "Bambaloosa!" 10 shots from a WWI era battle rifle at 5 targets about 120 yards away... two individual sweeps, each from a different postition, then a bank of pistol KDs from the second rifle position (about 7 yards), then move again, a dueling tree of 5 swinging targets, the reload... and hit the "devilman" a husky lifesize silhouette about 90 yards downrange, then move again to the final dueling tree, and ground your pistol.... and finally run across the stage to where your shotgun is, and engage 6 clay birds thrown from a machine! Several people got down with the last pistol sting, stood there and you could just tell... they THOUGHT it was over!!!! :twisted: Timer operator prodding them with shouts of "SHOTGUN... SHOTGUN!" I resembled that!!!! :lol:

It was so much fun... now I can see that I "need" a 1903A3. I could easily get by with an earlier version... but I just like the M1 type rear sight.

I'm running my Project 1894 Marlin for this match. I've had two FTFs, which did go when the hammer was cocked again... (so I need to re-check the headspace); and I short-stroked the lever once... but, other than those, it's running like a top!

As I said at the top of the page, I loaded my ammo Thursday, and during the chrono test, my pistol ammo (45ACP, 200 gr RFN & 4.7 grains of TiteGroup resulted in 941fps from the 5" 1911... and the same load in the Cowboy45Spl resulted in 880fps from the 17" Marlin. At first this stumped me... but last night after bein' "re-hydrated", it dawned on me that the short little 45Colt "Special" was quite a bit shy of the barrel leade in that big ol' 45Colt chamber!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!