Venison Backstrap

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Venison Backstrap

Post by RustyJr »

Can anyone recommend a good/their recipe for Venison Backstrap and/or Venison Cube steak? I have a few left over from last season and while the recipes that I found on the internet were okay I wouldn't mind finding an alternative. Also do you cook your venison all the way or do you allow a little "pink" (some that I hear from say that any wild game should be cooked all the way through while others say its ok to leave it a little pink)?

Thanks in advance,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
bdhold

Re: Venison Backstrap

Post by bdhold »

Sidebox smoker.

I smoke backstrap and flanks. I marinate in olive oil, vinegar (balsamic is good), and Italian seasoning is good.
I have rosemary and wild oregano in the yard and add a bit to the fire when I stoke it.
the flanks and shoulder have already been on here for two hours, and I just added the backstrap, which was smoked for 2 hours total)
Oh, I have a 15" pan and sear the meat before it goes to the smoker
tender, juicy, flavorful - melts in your mouth kind of tender
makes great breakfast tacos
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ok, here's my recipe; I slice it almost an inch thick, remove all striffen and pound it with my spike faced hammer. I lay all the pieces out on the counter and add salt, pepper, garlic powder and, here's the secret, GINGER! It doesn't take a lot and the raw root and a grater is best but mostly I just use the ground kind from the spice rack. At this point the pieces are only about 3/8" thick but not to worry 'cause it draw back together some while cooking.
Prepare a pie pan with beaten egg and milk and another with flour for the dredge. I use a large iron skillet which I get heating with oil maybe a quarter inch deep. Dip the backstrap in the egg/milk mixture and then dredge in flour. Immediately into 325 to 350 degree oil until brown on the bottom and then turn over and do the other side. It doesn't take long and yes some will be a little pink in the middle.
I like the flavor of olive oil but any good vegetable oil is fine or peanut oil if you have it. I usually keep a lot around for deep frying fish.
Pour up your oil leaving only about 2 or 3 table spoons in the skillet. Use a spatula and scrape the "makin's" loose from the skillet and add flour, what's left from the dredge is great, and make a rue. When the rue is nicely brown add milk to make that wonderful cream gravy. Takes constant stirring until it has bubbled a while.
Notice that nowhere do I tell you how much and you can vary the amounts to your taste and honestly I seldom measure anything while cooking. Now this has made me hungry. Think I'll go stir up a batch of biscuits.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Marinate backstrap in Dales over night. Wrap with bacon held with toothpicks. On grill( or in oven) turn as needed, when bacon is done, it is ready. Slice and enjoy.

Cube steak. slice steaks into strips. Preheat skillet( I use cast iron, but I guess it would work with other types) with a little Olive oil in pan medium heat, add strips and season with Everglades seasoning and tomato bouillon powder as cooks. When browned on both sides add sliced green pepper, onions, and tomato(sliced Jalapeno if you like hot stuff) when veggies are done to your likening remove from heat and serve on warm flour tortillas with sour cream if desired.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Marinate in Pineapple juice, Lawerys (spelling?) teriyaki marinade (has pineapple in it also) Worcestershire sauce, little bit of lemon juice, lemon pepper, half-sharp paprika, garlic, little bit of ginger, salt and pepper.

Grill and yes, Leave pink!! Biggest problem with cooking deer is cooking it too well done.
Any above recipies will be ruined if meat is cooked past medium. I pull mine off usually around rare to medium rare, let rest inside for about 5-10 minutes before serving, perfect.

Another thing I have done with deer is marinade with a heaping amount of A-1 steak sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Grill appropriately, good stuff.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

cube the meat

pickle in salt brine overnight

rinse salt out

cold smoke for a week

the best tasting, tenderest, finest kind
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Remove all the connective tissue, marinade in Worcestershire sauce, season with cayenne & black pepper; grill.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Of late I've been blackening my steak, chops, and such. Flavorful on outside, tender, and rare on the inside. I rub it in brown sesame oil, and seasonings. Heat up the cast iron until the oil smokes, and go at it. If you don't care for rare use a thinner cut of meat, but I wouldn't turn down the heat. Make sure your vent fan is working pretty good :lol: Don't walk away from the process lest you catch fire (I always have a kitchen towel handy to toss over the pan. BTW, this has never happened.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Wash it good, soak for 2hrs in water bowl in refrig.
Remove meat, poke some small holes in meat sparingly with tooth pick.
Make a mix of beer/flour so as its a wet paste, combine meat and paste in plastic bag and soak overnight.Remove from bag and wipe down meat.
Get your grill good and hot. Sear meat both sides.
In a bowl make a sauce, honey and Tabasco sauce,sea salt,ground pepper.
Brush meat with sauce occasionally both sides while grilling hood up with high heat.
The washing and initial water soaking treatment gets rid of gaminess taste/smell.
Flour in paste makes meat cut with fork tender.
OLBIKER
Levergunner 1.0

Post by OLBIKER »

I take the meat out about 6 or 7 days in advance and put in a covered pyrex cooking dish in the refrig.Never put the meat in an aluminum or steel pan.A glass bowl covered with saran rap is also good.What this does is age the meat.If you do not age it the blood does not have a chance to drain out and THAT is where any gamey flavor comes from.If you are like me and shoot & skin and then hang for a week or so,you can skip doing that.Then I soak over night in a salt water solution of just enough salt to make the water salty.In the morning I rinse the meat .That gets any blood out that might be left in the meat.Then I put on a plate in the refrig until I cook.You can pan fry,broil or grill(I use a small amount of Lawrys Seasoning salt.I NEVER cook more than Medium Rare!!!!!!!Venison is very LEAN and the more you cook it.The tougher it gets.Yeah I know you can throw it in a crock pot and cook all day with some onion soup mix on it and it will fall apart,but so would shoe leather.No one will even know they are eating venison if prepared with my directions. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OLBIKER wrote:I take the meat out about 6 or 7 days in advance and put in a covered pyrex cooking dish in the refrig.Never put the meat in an aluminum or steel pan.A glass bowl covered with saran rap is also good.What this does is age the meat.If you do not age it the blood does not have a chance to drain out and THAT is where any gamey flavor comes from.If you are like me and shoot & skin and then hang for a week or so,you can skip doing that.Then I soak over night in a salt water solution of just enough salt to make the water salty.In the morning I rinse the meat .That gets any blood out that might be left in the meat.Then I put on a plate in the refrig until I cook.You can pan fry,broil or grill(I use a small amount of Lawrys Seasoning salt.I NEVER cook more than Medium Rare!!!!!!!Venison is very LEAN and the more you cook it.The tougher it gets.Yeah I know you can throw it in a crock pot and cook all day with some onion soup mix on it and it will fall apart,but so would shoe leather.No one will even know they are eating venison if prepared with my directions. :D
I always heard that using anything with salt in it to soak/marinade would draw out the moisture....Evidently not?? :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I made Canadian bacon last year and it is killer!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My most used recipe is making my own italian salad dressing and letting 1 inch think cross cuts of the backstraps or fish and letting them marinate in it 1-3 days in the frig . The I braise it in a pan on top the stove covered of course . Also saute some green pepers , onions and mushrooms in the same stuff to serve with the meat . Loaf of italian bread goes nicely with it .

Marinate the same as above and cook it rare to medium rare on the grill is pretty decent also .

Last one , lately I've been cutting the backstraps the same way and putting them in a plastic bowl with water chestnuts and mushrooms then immersing them in Veri Teryaki sauce and let that sit in the frig a day or two . Again cook in a frying pan covered on top the stove . While cooking I usually put a can of carrots in as well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For very many years, we've been roasting backstraps in the oven, with very little prep.

* Pre-heat the oven to 350-degrees

* Season the backstrap(s) with salt/pepper, after first removing any "silver" from the backstrap(s).

* Place the backstrap(s) into an oven-safe roasting pan.

* Lay a few rashers of bacon across the backstrap(s). (Optional)

* Pour 1 cup of red wine over the meat/roast.

* Bake/roast for 30mins (max).

* Serve either whole, slicing into 3/4" thick medallions as each person is served, or slice the backstrap(s) into medallions just before serving.

* Time potato/veggies cooking so they potato/veggies are done at the end of the 30min roasting time for the meat.

* OPTION: Pan-fry/brown mushrooms before roasting the meat, add brown gravy to browned mushrooms & cook for 5mins. Pour mushroom gravy over meat @ serving.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Marlin32 wrote:Marinate in Pineapple juice, Lawerys (spelling?) teriyaki marinade (has pineapple in it also) Worcestershire sauce, little bit of lemon juice, lemon pepper, half-sharp paprika, garlic, little bit of ginger, salt and pepper.

Grill and yes, Leave pink!! Biggest problem with cooking deer is cooking it too well done.
Any above recipies will be ruined if meat is cooked past medium. I pull mine off usually around rare to medium rare, let rest inside for about 5-10 minutes before serving, perfect.

Another thing I have done with deer is marinade with a heaping amount of A-1 steak sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Grill appropriately, good stuff.
+1 0n the marinade
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cut it in steaks, fry it hot and fast. Down it with a cold beer.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OLBIKER
Levergunner 1.0

Post by OLBIKER »

OLBIKER wrote:I take the meat out about 6 or 7 days in advance and put in a covered pyrex cooking dish in the refrig.Never put the meat in an aluminum or steel pan.A glass bowl covered with saran rap is also good.What this does is age the meat.If you do not age it the blood does not have a chance to drain out and THAT is where any gamey flavor comes from.If you are like me and shoot & skin and then hang for a week or so,you can skip doing that.Then I soak over night in a salt water solution of just enough salt to make the water salty.In the morning I rinse the meat .That gets any blood out that might be left in the meat.Then I put on a plate in the refrig until I cook.You can pan fry,broil or grill(I use a small amount of Lawrys Seasoning salt.I NEVER cook more than Medium Rare!!!!!!!Venison is very LEAN and the more you cook it.The tougher it gets.Yeah I know you can throw it in a crock pot and cook all day with some onion soup mix on it and it will fall apart,but so would shoe leather.No one will even know they are eating venison if prepared with my directions. :D
Well ,what do you think 95%of blood is made from??? :wink:
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Old Savage wrote:Cut it in steaks, fry it hot and fast. Down it with a cold beer.
Easy , quick , simple . 8)
Phil
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I always eat venison (and other meats) rare, so don't buy the "cook all the way through" school. I will marinade in a combination of wine, Worchestershire, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary (or sage) and thyme, and dijon mustard, then bake (often with the marinade) in a covered dish at 350*. Meat is very tender, still rare, and very tasty!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I believe the only way red meat should be cooked is to slice it season it and sear it and eat it. Why would you take a fine piece of meat like tenderloin and soak it for days to make it taste like something else???????????
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JerryB wrote:I believe the only way red meat should be cooked is to slice it season it and sear it and eat it. Why would you take a fine piece of meat like tenderloin and soak it for days to make it taste like something else???????????
If you eat enough of it you get tired of the SOS all the time ! And funny thing those that eat it when i prepare it don't seem to complain , theyre to busy smackin their lips !!!!!
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
OLBIKER
Levergunner 1.0

Post by OLBIKER »

JerryB wrote:I believe the only way red meat should be cooked is to slice it season it and sear it and eat it. Why would you take a fine piece of meat like tenderloin and soak it for days to make it taste like something else???????????
Amen.If the meat is taken care of properly there is no need to hide the natural good taste!!! :D
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I knew I'd be sorry I opened this thread. Here I sit with NO Venison in my freezer.
When I DO find myself so blessed to have a deer on the ground..I cut it in such a way as to retain as much whole muscle pieces as possible, Those are then "chunked" and cubed. Trimmings and pieces too small for cubing get ground into burger for chili.
Our favorite prep. for the cube steaks is to soak in Buttermilk for a day, dredge in seasoned flour and fry. YUM...!!!!!!!!!!!
Would that be "Chicken Fried Deer...???".
Don't know...but it's DARNED good.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Anyone remember the 1950s BoyScout Handbook? Campfire steak was laying the steak on a bed of hot coals that the ashes had been brushed from.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV