OT-Should I have bought this Trapdoor?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Should I have bought this Trapdoor?

Post by awp101 »

I know (and try to follow) the mantra of "Buy the gun, not the story".

At the show today I saw a Trapdoor with a roughly 22-24" bbl (by my eyeball from the table), patina'd brown pretty evenly, dark and rough wood with tacks on the buttstock, old and worn leather wrapped around the end of the forearm and barrel with tacks in it.

I did not inspect the bore but I would expect it to be as dark as the outside of the weapon.

Sign said "Indian used, $500".

I've only started reading up on Trapdoors within the past week so I know next to nothing about them (but I'm reading as much as I can as I can) so I passed.

The leather wrap had me concerned. Would it have been a field expedient repair to keep the forearm and barrel together or just something someone did to pretty it up?

If it WAS a sewer pipe bore, I don't know of any other option other than having it relined.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I don't know much about Trapdoors, but I'm always suspicious of dealers that claim "Indian" use.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Not a trapdoor but a early winchester 92 I used to own that came off a indian reservation in the dakotas. It was stolen along with many other guns of mine 5 years ago in california. Serial # 269815.

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Without a picture it is hard to make an assessment, but the forestock on a Trapdoor is actually held on by the barrel bands. Therefore if they are there any problem in retaing the fore stock is generally wood integrity related and fixable. As for the bore, you are correct in thinking it can always be relined. The one critical item I look for is, if there is any fore and aft play in the breech block I would have concern, side to side play is normal as long as it is not excessive. $500 is not overly high, but $400 is usually a good "rebuildable" price. If you reline ($200), rebuild stock ($100-150), you will have up to $850 into a $1000 rifle(not including your time).
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks, I may keep an eye out for it next show then!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Bump for the evening crowd! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at