Three Amigos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Three Amigos

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is OldNo7's fault. I purchased an Uberti copy of the Colt 1862 Pocket Police from him a couple of years ago. It was going to be for a project gun for an idea I had. I already had one I had purchased for Y2K years before that, and didn't want to monkey with that one. When it arrived, it was a different barrel length than Y2K's - 6.5" versus 5.5".

Did a little research and found out that these originally came in four barrel lengths from the Colt factory. The two above, plus a 4.5" model, and a very rare 3" "Trapper" barrel without a loading level.

Well, I found another one with the 4.5" barrel at a good price on GunBroker, so I purchased it. VTI sells the 3" barrel, so I may end up getting this!

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Three Amigos

Post by Blaine »

Athos, Porthos, and Aramis 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:Athos, Porthos, and Aramis 8)
And the Trapper will be d'Artagnan! :D
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Good looking collection.
My girlfriend decided she like Cap and ball pistols and has a pair of .44 Sheriffs models.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paladin wrote:Good looking collection.
My girlfriend decided she like Cap and ball pistols and has a pair of .44 Sheriffs models.
Your girlfriend has great taste! 8)
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Beautiful! How do they shoot?

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

All three are real beauties, but the 4.5" barreled one is talking to me. I'm getting that old itch again.
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Color case hardening is sure a beautiful look on any blue steel cap and ball revolver.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like that 4-½". Perfect for CAS! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a Pietta 1862 Metropolitan Police, nickel plated with a 5.5" barrel. It looked and shot good.
There's something about those old Colt revolvers..... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:This is OldNo7's fault.
Yup, NOT the first time I've ever heard that! :wink:
I purchased an Uberti copy of the Colt 1862 Pocket Police from him a couple of years ago. It was going to be for a project gun for an idea I had...
Well Jay, I was wondering what you ever did with that one... Now I know!

As for me, soon after I sold you that one, I found a Colt 2nd Generation one with a beautiful fit & finish, and at a really good price. I've always like the looks and handling of the '62 Police, and I guess my collection felt empty without one...

But THREE?!?!?!? :mrgreen: :!: :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

You need to take all 3 out to the range with the kids and fire 'em all off at once!!!

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice....

I need to look into those....
but i hate cleaning up after bp
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

RIHMFIRE wrote:nice....

I need to look into those....
but i hate cleaning up after bp
Ditto.... :( 777 looks promising for a quick cleanup....Slip off the grips, lots of hot, soapy water, rinse/dry.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Beauties for sure 8)

When I worked civil service at Ft Eustis I kept a 5 1/2" in my top desk drawer for six years.

My Office was way off by it's self about 100 ft from the James River, two or three times a week I would stroll along the side creeks shooting cottonmouth's during my lunch hr.

Mine handled #9 shot extremely well, I think I shot more shot loads than I did RB.

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Blaine,
I think you'll find that 777 still corrodes things even months after clean-up with lots of soap and water. Real Goex is easier to clean up and after drying and oiling you don't have to worry about it for quite a while.
My recently aquired 12 year old and I shot up about 100 rounds of 44-40 loaded with ffg and it only took about 15 minutes to clean up 2 Colts and a 73 with a little soapy water. Course I blew them dry with the air hose. I let him de-prime the brass and we washed it too but I add a little vinegar to the wash water for the brass. Don't use the vinegar on blued guns as I think it fades the blue.
My favorite recipe for "Moose Milk" for wiping the barrel during long strings of fire consists of detergent, soluble oil and water. A couple of patches dampened with this through the barrel, a just water patch then dry and oil and your done.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

John in MS wrote:Beautiful! How do they shoot?

John
Haven't shot the latest one yet. The other two are a hoot, so I expect the same. Probably going to eventually fill the hole in the hammer in with JB Weld. The hole is so one can set the hammer between nipples, where there is a small pin. Great for safety, but that hole will grab primers just enough to often drop them into the action. PITA.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:I had a Pietta 1862 Metropolitan Police, nickel plated with a 5.5" barrel. It looked and shot good.
That sounds like a very cool little gun! 8)
game keeper wrote:There's something about those old Colt revolvers..... 8)
Yes, indeed! :D :D :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: You need to take all 3 out to the range with the kids and fire 'em all off at once!!!

Tight groups!

Old No7
Great idea!

I'd still like to find a bird's head grip for one. If I did, I'll get the 3.5" "Trapper" barrel for sure. :D

I just can't bear messing up the original grip and grip strap. :oops:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J35nut wrote:Beauties for sure 8)

When I worked civil service at Ft Eustis I kept a 5 1/2" in my top desk drawer for six years.

My Office was way off by it's self about 100 ft from the James River, two or three times a week I would stroll along the side creeks shooting cottonmouth's during my lunch hr.

Mine handled #9 shot extremely well, I think I shot more shot loads than I did RB.

-----J
Now that's an interesting idea. Did you load the shot over a fiber wad, and then place a fiber wad on top of it? How much powder and shot did you use?

We saw three snakes this past weekend while working on a scout's Eagle project. Two were baby copperheads. The combination of one of the 1862's with some #9 shot would have been the cat's meow!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:

-----J
Now that's an interesting idea. Did you load the shot over a fiber wad, and then place a fiber wad on top of it? How much powder and shot did you use?

We saw three snakes this past weekend while working on a scout's Eagle project. Two were baby copperheads. The combination of one of the 1862's with some #9 shot would have been the cat's meow!
I used the same powder charge that I used for RB, and a card and a lubed felt wad over the powder filled the cylinder up with shot and put a over sized card and a dab of beeswax and Vaseline grease smeared over the end , the felt wad was lubed with this also.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J35nut wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:

-----J

I used the same powder charge that I used for RB, and a card and a lubed felt wad over the powder filled the cylinder up with shot and put a over sized card and a dab of beeswax and Vaseline grease smeared over the end , the felt wad was lubed with this also.

----J
Thanks!