Henry M1860 & .35 Remington Articles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Henry M1860 & .35 Remington Articles

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI: The (new) April 2014 issue of American Rifleman has at least two interesting articles, that may be of interest here .

One is by Gary James, on the new "made-in-America" Henry Repeating Arms .44-40 Model 1860.

Another is by John Haviland, on "The Enduring .35 Remington".

Curiously, my copy has no NRA "info" page after the Dope Bag section - which usually includes a shooting event calendar, and a gun show calendar, for the coming month.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry M1860 & .35 Remington Articles

Post by C. Cash »

Good to see these articles......need more of this to balance out all of the tactical/black/plastic stuff.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I look forward to receiving mine... magazine that is.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Gun show dates & places are on pg 95
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

How can the .35 Remington endure? It is big, slow, and just isn't up to par with the latest eargashplitten loudenboomer. Why, we all know that deer have evolved to have kevlar hides and nothing moving less than 3,000 fps at the muzzle and not in a metric caliber can even hope to bring one down. And the Henry? GASP!!! It is a lever action. Nobody even uses those museum pieces anymore, do they???

I read the articles, and they were pretty well written. It is apparent that there are still a few who appreciate things that work well without having to be the latest and greatest technology. Funny thing, but the last store which I saw having .30-30 was selling it faster than any other caliber. They sold out of it, and then the other calibers started selling. This was in a gunstore in Waxahachie, TX.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Piller, we know that Texans are a backwards folk... :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

And of course, we Know that "Waxahachie" has to be a made-up name, and that no one would live there, if it Was real...

:lol: :lol:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Buck Elliott wrote:And of course, we Know that "Waxahachie" has to be a made-up name, and that no one would live there, if it Was real...

dang, i thought a waxahachie was some kinda bird !
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Next to "Handloader" and "Rifle"' the American Rifleman is my favorite. In fact, that's all I get anymore. The others really went to pot with worthless advertising and repetition and not to brag, but once a guncrank gets my age, he has seen and read it all, so my excitement needs the writings of Dave Scoville and his crew.

Like Pete said, in the "Dope Bag" section, ( that is funny as it really fits in with inner city culture) there's the list of gunshows. Notice how many are listed as being in "Pa"? :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've not been able to find any of those Sierra Pro-Hunter .358 200gr RN bullets they mentioned.

I don't believe they really exist.

Like Bigfoot, or the Loch Ness monster, or Prop-Wash in 5-gallon buckets.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Or Waxahachie..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Gun show dates & places are on pg 95
And so, it is........ (doh :oops: )

Thanks, Ben

264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

FWiedner wrote:I've not been able to find any of those Sierra Pro-Hunter .358 200gr RN bullets they mentioned.

Those bad boys are hard to find! I emailed Sierra religiously every six months for over a year and a half checking on a production schedule. They finally turned up and I bought three boxes and haven't seen them anywhere again and that was over a year ago. My Marlin 336C loves them!

Thomas
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

264 Win Mag wrote:
FWiedner wrote:I've not been able to find any of those Sierra Pro-Hunter .358 200gr RN bullets they mentioned.

Those bad boys are hard to find! I emailed Sierra religiously every six months for over a year and a half checking on a production schedule. They finally turned up and I bought three boxes and haven't seen them anywhere again and that was over a year ago. My Marlin 336C loves them!

Thomas
When I still had a couple Marlin's in 35 REM I got a bunch of Remington 200 grain RN Core Lokt bullets from Midway I think about 500 of them . At the time it was like $80-90 I think and they shot marveluosely in a Marlin 336D I had just for jacketed bullets . The gun likes the Sierra just as much I might add .

Think at the apex of my Marlin affliction I had 4 Marlin 336 rifles in 35 REM . The previousely mentioned 336D I bought new was relegated to handloded 200 Core Lokt bullets , the other 336D I bought used at a nice price was relegated to the Ranch Dog 359-190GC bullet , the circa 1952 Marlin 336SC I had was relegated to the RCBS 35-200GC bullet and finally the Marlin 336XLR 35 I had was relegated to factory Hornady Leverevolution ammo . Killed deer with all of them except the 336D shooting the RD cast bullet .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What's the need for a jacketed bullet in the 35 Rem? A gas checked cast bullet will travel at the same speed, will work every time, is at or better accuracy, and if you cast your own, 10 can be made for the price of one jacketed bullet. ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:What's the need for a jacketed bullet in the 35 Rem? A gas checked cast bullet will travel at the same speed, will work every time, is at or better accuracy, and if you cast your own, 10 can be made for the price of one jacketed bullet. ---6
I can't shoot the same bullet in each rifle !

Back when I had the Marlin affliction I usually had two of most rifles so I could shoot cast in one and jacketed in the other .
Hence the having a pair of the 336D rifles . The 336SC just called out for cast and the 336XLR well it came out when the rubber tipped bullets did so it just seemed right .
OBTW , the 336D I got new came from Tanner's Gunshop in the Doylestown area . Do you know that place ? I've been there a couple times . When they came in at Tanner's one of my budds that used to live up there did all Tanner's stockwork and he got it for me and I picked it up when I visited . My 336SC came from The Hunters Gallery in Hamlin PA , saw it one summer when I was up at my other buddies fishing in the Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro State Parks .
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

piller wrote:How can the .35 Remington endure? It is big, slow, and just isn't up to par with the latest eargashplitten loudenboomer. Why, we all know that deer have evolved to have kevlar hides . . .
You got me. I read an article about the .25-35 that said it was an effective deer cartridge when introduced, but is not powerful enough to reliably kill today's deer. This must be the case with .35 Rem, too, right?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There are several members here who use a .35 Remington. They all seem to like it. As for the FTX bullets, I have some in .30-30 and some in .45-70 in the LeverEvolution cartridges. They are accurate enough, but I haven't used them on game yet, so I can't comment about that part. They are fine for accuracy in my rifles, but they are not any more accurate than the Remington Core-Lokt 170 grain in my .30-30, or even as accurate as the 405 grain jacketed soft points in my .45-70 (My Guide Gun likes the heavy bullets).
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:Good to see these articles......need more of this to balance out all of the tactical/black/plastic stuff.
I'm with you Chris. I like the occasional article on tactical stuff, but anymore, the first thing I look for are articles on anything old (like me!). :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

What was the story on the "Henry.."?
Regards

Buck

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Buck, it's a very detailed article, complete with pics of the new .44-40 Henry Model 1860, and the original Henry .44RF that was disassembled & used to reverse engineer the tooling for the modern production, then reassembled for comparison/display - It's a pretty large/lengthy article, that I found satisfying to read. (YMMV, of course)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:...Back when I had the Marlin affliction...
:P Okay... I just got take ya to task. As one who suffers from the equally pocketbook painful Winchester version of this joyful disease... I've noticed you seem to have an affinity for the Marlin 444, IN Marlins. So, just what is this "...back when..." nonsense. Admit it, you're still afflicted! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote::lol: :lol:
:P Okay... I just got take ya to task. As one who suffers from the equally pocketbook painful Winchester version of this joyful disease... I've noticed you seem to have an affinity for the Marlin 444, IN Marlins. So, just what is this "...back when..." nonsense. Admit it, you're still afflicted! :P :P
I'd say not !

My 444 accumulation is down from an all time high of two dozen to a more normal twelve or fourteen rifles .

When I was at the appex of the affliction I had darn near 100 Marlin lever rifles .

I suspect this time next year I'll be down to 4-6 of the 444's .

They've been helping to fund my yearly visit to Philippines to see my wife and daughter .

At this point I'm not intrested to buy anymore 444's . I have however gotten back into side by sides (although I never really got away from them) and bolt action rifles .

Right now I'm a little hung up on getting a Ruger #1 in 300 H&H as well as rebarreling a Remington 700 Magnum to 26 Nosler .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:
Griff wrote::lol: :lol:
...down...to a more normal twelve or fourteen rifles...When I was at the appex of the affliction I had darn near 100 Marlin lever rifles.
OK, I'll grant you that. But, denial is a symptom... :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Thanks Pete.. I'll have to dig up a copy...
Regards

Buck

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

Here are the Henrys, with 29 days left, and the bidding is up to $70,125.00:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =399110477

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, of the pair of Henry rifles on GB ( one new, one old/original production ), the older Henry is the rifle that Henry used to reverse-engineer the tooling to make the modern M1860's.

Henry re-assembled the older rifle, paired it with a new-production rifle, and put on auction for the benefit of the NRA Foundation - "America's leading charitable organization dedicated to the support of the continuation of America's proud hunting & shooting heritage".