Arggh! M1 Garand question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Harris85
Levergunner

Arggh! M1 Garand question.

Post by Harris85 »

My apologies for this post being unrelated to leverguns, but I am in a bit of a bind. For some time now I have been the owner of an adjustable gas nut for my Garand (which has the older 'slot-style' nut.) The trouble is, I have been unable to install it because the existing gas plug has been screwed in with the might of an enraged Hercules! I am using a large slot head screwdriver and some tongue-and-groove pliers in unison with no results (with the gun being protected from the serrated jaws.) I have also tried using gun oil to penetrate the threads, but that seems to have been useless as well. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Arggh! M1 Garand question.

Post by Thunder50 »

I can only think of adding some heat. Propane torch set on low. Someone might have used loctite on the threads of the plug. I am sure someone that knows alot more than I will come along and help.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Impact wrench,socket , drill !
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Impact screw driver.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

A large brass punch hit directly straight in line to the axis of the gas plug (on its front face towards the butt)may allow it to free up.

It really should be removed no matter what, you should clean the gas parts now and then.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Propane torch to the outer threaded housing to get it fairly hot
Liquid Wrench overnight
Brake Cleaner to remove most of L.W. gunk
Propane torch again (evaporate the brake cleaner first)
Then the big screwdriver
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A hair dryer or heat gun will get it hot enough without risking the damage that could be done with a torch.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I hope one of the answers above helps... as I know nothing about the Garand beyond "...with the heel of your right hand against the operating rod, using your thumb, press clip into place until it releases the bolt, rotate hand smartly upward, allowing a round to chamber, pull trigger until you hear a 'P-P-I-I-N-N-G-G!', and repeat!" I's worked for 44 years... I've had my own or 35 of those, and beyond removal of the trigger group, it's never been taken down. :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

That might be why it still has the solid slot style plug. :D Hope you don't ruin it, those (real ones) can be hard to come by.

Try plugging the barrel, standing it on it's muzzle and pouring Kroil down the barrel?
Slow is just slow.
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

A 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid will usually get er loose ...... applied with a large dose of patience.
NRA life member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bmtshooter wrote:A 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid will usually get er loose ...... applied with a large dose of patience.
Let's see,
  • I can get acetone at the drug store or hardware store, and
    I can get transmission fluid at the auto-parts store, but . . .
    where do I get "patience", and what exactly is it. . . ???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Harris85
Levergunner

Post by Harris85 »

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will try the hairdryer heating method, followed by the brass punch, followed by the impact driver (depending on what works / doesn't work.) After that, well, I am hoping patience and oil help, otherwise things are going to get interesting. Unfortunately, someone before me tried to remove (or replace?) the gas plug and added some 'character' to it. Either he is to blame for my current predicament, or the ravages of time are. I get the feeling that this rifle may not have been shot for a very long time.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

It could be the blue medium strength or Red high strength Lok-Tite. They melt at different temperatures.
A BIC lighter with flame on the thin metal gas tube threads area might do the trick.
Shuster told me to use the Red, I didn't.
I use the Blue because I want to be able to get it out easier then the Red would of allowed.