Oh great - one more ammunition 'panic'...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Oh great - one more ammunition 'panic'...

Post by AJMD429 »

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Oh great - one more ammunition source drying up...

Post by Pisgah »

I have to wonder why every announcement of this has been identically-worded, and why what appears to be the primary source of the story is an ammo-seller. Last gun show I went to, everyone was overstocked on Russian ammo and cutting prices drastically to get rid of it. Hmmm...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That Mosin and the 440 rd. spam can is looking pretty good.................. and no, the deal is off the table!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Unconfirmed rumormongering.
But somebody is guaranteed to panic thanks to its perpetuation.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Panzercat wrote:Unconfirmed rumormongering.
But somebody is guaranteed to panic thanks to its perpetuation.
Run and hide, run and hide, the sky is falling!! :o

Wont be a round of Russian AK47 ammo in stock anywhere within a week and prices will triple. :shock:

Yeah, right. :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've never bought or used a single Russian round or component... And this has me worried... NOT!

Maybe something with the WTO and the UN agreement on international sales of guns... maybe related to why an Italian arms company is building a plant in TN.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I have no inside skinny on the importation of 7.62x39 ammo. There are however, some things I do know.

1. The 7.62x39 is a splendid, efficient little antipersonnel/medium game cartridge, capable of excellent accuracy.
2. I have seen the sticker price of steel-case 7.62x39 ammo jump 500% in 10 years.
3. When 7.62x39 becomes as expensive as conventional US sporting ammo, its advantages disappear.
4. The importation of foreign ammo can be shut off overnight by executive order- ours or theirs.
5. The control over our end of that supply chain is controlled by inept, anti-gun, anti-American fools.
6. I have survived numerous 'ammo famines' comfortably via-
A. reserves of imported, steel-case ammo, and
B. reloading US cartridges with ample component availability.
7. Given the current political situation, B is more reliable than A.
6. We will adjust accordingly here.

There is a difference between the 'sky is falling' mentality and the ability to read smoke signals from a distance.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

They can still send it out of Bulgaria, Czech Repub, etc. Just fear mongering by a bunch of ......
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

And everybody laughed at me for buying numerous 40 S&W carbines with THOUSANDS of componets for reload.
Something just extra sweet about each little pound of powder loading a THOUSAND rds.
Heck if need be deer down with them too.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I just checked and "panic has set in"! :lol: My son bought a hex receiver Mosin 91/30 last Friday, so I bought a case (880rds) of surplus 7.62x54, for .23rd/delivered. While I was at it I bought a case (1080rds) of surplus 5.45x39 @ .20/rd, for his other rifle.

AS of this am.....
There is very little of the surplus x54 stuff left on-line and it has gone up 50%. Surplus 5.45 still seems plentiful, but again the price has gone up to .30/rd.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jdad wrote:They can still send it out of Bulgaria, Czech Repub, etc. Just fear mongering by a bunch of ......
This. Add China too.

The only ammo that will really be impacted is...

Brown Bear/Silver Bear/Wolf/MFT inexpensive .308 & heavy .410
&
Russian x39 & x54 spam cans.

Any more, lots of of people make x39 and the "regular" cartridges, so the loss will be in Russial x54 (you occasionally see Bulgarian spam cans, but not as frequently).

I'm glad I have 8 spam cans of 54R...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is interesting how the ammo companies/importers seem to be happy, isn't it... Rumors like this just boost their sales. Since I'm in the herd-thinning process (sold two to fund the Bighorn carbine, and plan if need be to sell another, and/or some ammo), it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is seeing empty ammo shelves at the gun store(s); just bugs me, even though I don't need any ammo, except I could use some 22 LR and 303 British, and soon will need some 500 S&W (but will likely not be buying factory loads for that at the local shop anyway). Kinda gives me the creeps like when you see empty bread shelves at the grocery store.
Sarge wrote:I have no inside skinny on the importation of 7.62x39 ammo. There are however, some things I do know.

1. The 7.62x39 is a splendid, efficient little antipersonnel/medium game cartridge, capable of excellent accuracy.
2. I have seen the sticker price of steel-case 7.62x39 ammo jump 500% in 10 years.
3. When 7.62x39 becomes as expensive as conventional US sporting ammo, its advantages disappear.
4. The importation of foreign ammo can be shut off overnight by executive order- ours or theirs.
5. The control over our end of that supply chain is controlled by inept, anti-gun, anti-American fools.
6. I have survived numerous 'ammo famines' comfortably via-
A. reserves of imported, steel-case ammo, and
B. reloading US cartridges with ample component availability.
7. Given the current political situation, B is more reliable than A.
6. We will adjust accordingly here.

There is a difference between the 'sky is falling' mentality and the ability to read smoke signals from a distance.
Well said.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am with Griff on this. I wont buy Russian or Chinese ammo. Don`t want it,
wont buy it ,don`t need it,no way!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I can tell you this that last week when picking up daughters Browning though I have turkey ammo they had nothing in 3.5" "nothing"
They had "nothing in 3"
They had no .22 mag
They had extremely little in .22
The owner said getting ammo now is like pulling teeth.
Mind you this was in NYS just across the border from Pa which I could have checked at Wally World or another gun shop etc. ??

But prior, that guy in NY always had a good amount of ammo, now it looked like a going out of business shelves.
Absolutely pitiful. He had a sign on his door saying " background check for ammo at this time not required yet"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is certainly true that whether or not any stories are 'bogus', bare-shelves are bare-shelves, regardless of the cause. It is a very REAL impact on the rest of us who are just trying to buy ammunition for target practice, hunting, or teaching gun safety or marksmanship.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I agree. It's sad when the rumors that start panic runs turn out to be unfounded. It seems reason isn't enough to get it to stop.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

It seems these days AMMO and GAS are in the same category. They are always looking for any excuse to raise the price.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Griff wrote:I've never bought or used a single Russian round or component...

No, but the people who used to, will now be buying what you used to buy.

That is if it were true. Which I don't believe it is.
Slow is just slow.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Just bought 100rnds from cabelas on sale for the inbound SKS. From a giant pyramid stack.
Maybe there's a crisis, but apparently they don't know about it either.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm just really sick of all this. It has taken so much of the fun from shooting. I have more ammo and components piled up than I ever have but shoot much less.
I miss just going out and shooting and knowing I could pick up some more ammo or loading components when I needed it. Now I find myself counting every round because I have to worry if I can replace it. Supply is very bad here.
In the case of Russian 7.62x39, it was one of the few cheap to shoot cartridges that had some utility and a fairly steady supply. I was considering buying a CZ527 carbine in this cartridge because they are good shooters and I could feed it. I never would have bought one a few years ago. Now we have to buy guns based on ammo availability.
I did buy a new Ruger 22/45 Lite a couple weeks ago but the biggest reason was my son wanted my old S&W 422.

Sorry to be such a downer guys, I just find all this so tiring.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

We all do.
It is a shame.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mescalero wrote:We all do.
It is a shame.
It's not a shame, it's a crock and a conspiracy to diminish the shooting sports... and rifle skills in general.

After all, it's only the Elite & .gov Enforcers who should be able/allowed to shoot/practice (much less be able to enjoy non-martial shooting...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You know that is the European model that you are describing.
I really do hope you are wrong about this.
unless something reverses, you may be accurate.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I'll bet a box of ammo that the next direct assault on our ability to shoot and our enjoyment of shooting will be attempts this spring and summer to close down local shooting ranges. After the 2014 election I'll bet another box of ammo there will be renewed, aggressive attempts to regulate guns and ammunition at the state and local level. Even in Burlington, VT....VERMONT, where you still can carry WITHOUT a permit!...there's a mounting push by local liberal activists to enact new ordinances similar to MA, CT and NY where many of them came from. OK, I have two boxes of precious ammo on the table! Any takers? (Hmmm, where is it I put that old corroded stuff? :lol: )
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

It's been said here before but the day Obama won the election for his first term as the President should have been the clue for everyone to start stocking up on ammo of all calibers and reloading components - brass, bullets, powder, primers, etc..

I just bought a Winchester Model 94 (1977 manufacture) Friday and after filling out the paperwork, the dealer said he only had four boxes of .30-30 ammo in stock. I just smiled to myself thinking of the 1000 + rounds of .30-30 I have on hand plus powder, primes, and bullents I have on hand and told him I didn't need it.

A lot of you guys call guys like me a hoarder but while some of you are planning each shot you take and don't shoot as much as you used to because you are short of ammo and reloading components, it might be a good time to start hoarding.
ED
Yer never too old
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's the thing, no matter how much you have, you don't want to use it if you don't think you can replace it (for me at least).
To me, this is a poor time to start hoarding with prices like they are. Then again, they probably won't get any cheaper even if supply comes back.
I built my supply before it got like this so it makes the cost seem even more ridiculous.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am with oldwin,
My stuff was bought a such cheap ( compared to now ) that it makes justification difficult.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Oh look. News from people who actually research stuff.
...Wanting to get the scoop straight for the horses mouth, I called the owner of Wolf Ammo (which is an American company by the way) this morning to see what I could find out about the status of imports. I was told that ammo is “on the water”, as are VEPR AK’s, and is headed towards the United States as I type this. I was also told that they have heard no news from Russia that their export agreements have been canceled or otherwise impeded.

Wolf imports ammo from a number of countries including Germany, Taiwan and Serbia — not just Russia. I was informed their corporate planning includes contingencies for events such as what’s currently transpiring in Russia. In short, they assured me that ammo will flow to the U.S. as Russia isn’t the only source of affordable x39 ammo in the world. Wolf isn’t going to close up shop should Putin halt ammo exports, they’ll simply source it elsewhere.
Please. just stop this. :roll:
Last edited by Panzercat on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I may be misunderstanding some of the latest posts in this thread. You guys understand that the supposed reason for the commie caliber ammo run appears to be BOGUS don't you? There has been no stopping of ammo from Russia that anyone credible has heard of, and those in the ammo import industry say they know nothing of it.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Panzercat wrote:Oh look. News from peoplewho actually research stuff.
...Wanting to get the scoop straight for the horses mouth, I called the owner of Wolf Ammo (which is an American company by the way) this morning to see what I could find out about the status of imports. I was told that ammo is “on the water”, as are VEPR AK’s, and is headed towards the United States as I type this. I was also told that they have heard no news from Russia that their export agreements have been canceled or otherwise impeded.

Wolf imports ammo from a number of countries including Germany, Taiwan and Serbia — not just Russia. I was informed their corporate planning includes contingencies for events such as what’s currently transpiring in Russia. In short, they assured me that ammo will flow to the U.S. as Russia isn’t the only source of affordable x39 ammo in the world. Wolf isn’t going to close up shop should Putin halt ammo exports, they’ll simply source it elsewhere.
:roll:
Yes, I posted a link to that yesterday. I think many didn't bother with the link.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Malamute wrote:Yes, I posted a link to that yesterday. I think many didn't bother with the link.
Apparently not me either ;)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Panzercat wrote:
Malamute wrote:Yes, I posted a link to that yesterday. I think many didn't bother with the link.
Apparently not me either ;)

:D

I hope AJMD amends the thread title to indicate the original reports were unfounded, or this could go on with mistaken ideas for some time.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute wrote:I hope AJMD amends the thread title to indicate the original reports were unfounded, or this could go on with mistaken ideas for some time.
Good idea; done.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Oh great - one more ammunition 'panic'...

Post by FWiedner »

Neither the U.S. or any other nation that deals in arms as a major export will stop arms or ammo exports to political adversaries just because of political disagreement, international strife or even war.

Arms and munitions are BIG business. Half of the IEDs that killed and maimed troops returning form Iraq and Afghainstan were probably made from materials manufactured in the US.

The only demographic that ever gets cut-off is the domestic peasantry.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.