OT...WHICH RUGER NEW VAQUERO TO GET...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

OT...WHICH RUGER NEW VAQUERO TO GET...

Post by 4t5 »

IS A NEW VAQUERO IN 357 MAG A BETTER CHOICE THAN THE 45 FOR HUNTING DEER, CONSIDERING ONE CAN USE FULL HOUSE LOADS, OR WILL 45 LOADS FOR THIS GUN BE ENOUGH, SHOTS WILL BE FIFTY YARDS OR LESS.I KNOW SOME WILL SAY THERE ARE BETTER GUNS FOR THE CHORE,BUT I WAN'T A NEW VAQUERO, THANKS!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You forget that modern standard sized single actions such as the Ruger New Vaquero are not fragile. That condition is reserved for the old, ancient, antique black powder versions.

The .45 Colt can be loaded up a bit without hurting the New Vaq. Not to the extent of the Blackhawk or the Vaquero, but certainly more than the old standard loads.

And, as good as the .357 Mag is, the .45 Colt still punches a bigger hole.
9.0grs of Unique and a 265gr to 270gr Keith will punch straight through most any deer on this continent.

Personally if I were to purchase a New Vaquero it would be in .45 Colt. I simply like that caliber better than the .357. And I've got two of them too, so I'm not bad mouthing it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Be advised that the New Vaquero is not the tank that the Blackhawk is;
The cowboy gun has a smaller frame and a smaller diameter cylinder than the Blackhawk. That said, it is amply strong for any factory loads.
Lack of adjustable sights might present a problem, however. If you REALLY, REALLY want one, why not just go ahead and treat yourself?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Get the one(s) that match your levergun's caliber...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I like this one in .357...and a big part of why I got .357 is that is does match my favorite levergun! Jim

"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jazman,

That's an interesting combination of mat and high polish, is it still all stainless?

And are those CLC American holly grips?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

J Miller wrote:jazman,

That's an interesting combination of mat and high polish, is it still all stainless?

And are those CLC American holly grips?

Joe
Hey Joe-
Yes, all stainless. Steve Young got it for me, bead blasted the dull parts and did an action job. The grips are indeed CLC American holly in the gunfighter style, man, they fit the hand well.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

airedaleman wrote:Be advised that the New Vaquero is not the tank that the Blackhawk is;
The cowboy gun has a smaller frame and a smaller diameter cylinder than the Blackhawk. That said, it is amply strong for any factory loads.
Lack of adjustable sights might present a problem, however. If you REALLY, REALLY want one, why not just go ahead and treat yourself?
That is correct the "New Vaquero" is not the Vaquero. If you can get your hands on the "Vaquero" that they quit making for now. It will withstand the higher presures. Loading data is available for the Blackhawk, Vaquero, and TC contender. Don't use these loads for the NV. I have two of each. I use the two Vaqueros for hunting and the NV for CAS as they are very smooth.

The Vaqueros are number 4 & 5 from the left. The NV's are the two matched on the right.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have both calibers and I enjoy them both. I will predict that if you don't get the .45 Colt you are putting off the inevitable. Especially if you want to deer hunt with one. This is based on the assumption that you reload your own ammo so you can afford to shoot it a LOT. If not, the .38 specials will be much cheaper practice ammo than .45 Colt will be.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a NV in .45 Colt. 9 gr. of Unique under a 255-280 gr. Keith bullet will do all that needs doing. Easier, much so, on the ears than a full-out .357 Mag.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Hobie wrote:I have a NV in .45 Colt. 9 gr. of Unique under a 255-280 gr. Keith bullet will do all that needs doing. Easier, much so, on the ears than a full-out .357 Mag.
+1!The 45 Colt has more to offer only if you reload.Some states have minimium caliber/energy reguirements for deer, so just keep that in mind.BTW I prefer 45 colt.(2 levers + 2 sixguns) :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

If it is strickly used for hunting - no doubt - the 45 Colt is the way to go.
Bigger hole = more air in and more blood out.
I always wanted a Vaquero - I have the Blackhawk - but the smooth lines and classic style of the new vaquero appeals to me also.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Find an older model Vaquaro in 45, they are out there.

They were made on the Super BH frame and will take the full load of a 45 better than the NMV.

However, if you have small hands then the NMV would be the way to go.

My Son bought a pair of OMV (Blued) last year in .357, $600.00 for the pair.

If you seek you will find :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30