Slinging my M-71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Slinging my M-71

Post by guido4198 »

I have a Winchester M-71. It's a "shooter", not a collector's piece. I bought it to hunt with, not keep in the safe. I'd like to know the best way to sling this rifle for hunting. There is an open (non-threaded) hole in the butt where some kind of sling attachment was located at one time. There's no indication anywhere on the forward portion of the rifle of a connection for the other end of a sling.
How are you guys attaching slings to your M-71's..???
Thanks.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Slinging my M-71

Post by elmo123 »

I bought one that someone had installed a front swivel stud through the forend cap and it was crooked. I removed the cap in centered the hole and installed a new threaded swivel stud. I used loctite on the nut and ground it down so that it would fit on the forend. It looks pretty good and the new swivel covered the off center hole.

Mike
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would recommend an Uncle Mike's magazine ring QD stud set, from Midway, Brownell's, & others.

The QD stud/screw will turn right into the hole in your buttstock, and the magazine ring QD stid can be sited anywhere along the magazine tube you choose - depending if you want a higher or lower gun position, when it's slung over the shoulder.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/515599 ... un-1-black

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

The original Winchester Model 71 Deluxe rifles I have seen had a special nosecap for quick detach swivels:

That is the way to go in my opinion. They are available, but tend to be expensive.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The ones SHASTA just mentioned is the neatest, cleanest way in my opinion if you can find the parts you need.

I use a shotgun sling on my Browning. I've used Uncle Mike's on others I had before. The clamp on the magazine tube seems like it has an awful lot of leverage to me.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Without a doubt, the factory method is best but, it requires the thinnest and most detailed dovetail I have ever seen.

On my Browning, I screwed a stud in a tapped hole in the nose cap with just enough extending on the inside that I peened it over. A stick of TNT couldn't get that stud out.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Thanks folks.
I'll spend a little time looking for the one Shasta showed...that looks great. Failing that, it's the clamp-on I suppose.
I have a buddy who is using one on some kind of levergun...I'll find out how well he likes it, how secure it is, etc.
Not concerned about marking the finish on the magazine tube. There's enough marks and normal blue wear on this rifle already to disqualify her as a pristine safe-queen. I'm just tired of always hand carrying her when getting to my stand, and I like the additional shooting support of a properly fitted sling.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Another viable option would be to use a non-invasive loop sling, that could be kept in a coat or haversack pocket when it's not needed on the rifle.

This is a 1" Cordua nylon carry strap I bought, back when Christ was a corporal - which has a sliding closure noose on one end that goes over the bbl/mag tube and a butt cradle on the other.

I use it on every one of my rifles & shotguns that don't have QD sling studs.

With it as a pattern, I cobbled up some for a few buddies in less than a half-hour, using belt webbing from a milsurp store.

jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Here's how I slinged mine. Uncle Mike's clamp-on and a stud in the butt stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Thank you Mr. Miller...
That is most likely where I'm heading with mine.
Appreciate the pic.
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Okay friend, let me give you a little advice on this slinging matter. I've hunted with leverguns for quite a long time, and hunted with bolt actions long before that, and can say this without flinching, a levergun cannot be slung comfortably like a bolt gun. All of the previous pictures and advice show leverguns being slung like a bolt gun - that is with the sling swivel attached to the bottom of the rig - are just not right. :wink: You see chum, the bolt gun has a flat bottom and can be slung at the bottom so you can carry it comfortably over a shoulder or crosswise across the back. Not so with a levergun - it has a lever. The lever makes slinging it across the back, which is the only time a levergun should be slung, a very uncomfortable proposition. You see, a levergun is to be carried in ones hand, and its made to fit that way. But, if rocks need climbing or game needs dragging, the only secure way to carry the gun is across your back. And if you sling it like a bolt action, the lever will spend the next couple miles digging a trench in your back - you savvy?

Okay, so put a sling swivel in the butt stock where you'd put it on a bolt gun (you could put it on the side like some old military bolt actions that were intended for long marches with the rifle slung across the back - but it might be too unsightly for some - so we'll take little steps), and put the sling swivel in the barrel forend cap or barrel band perpendicular to the action's slab sides - sticking out the side. There are two ways to do this, one (the best way - see picture) is to weld a permanent sling slot on the side of the barrel band (like I do on my M1894) or drill a hole in the forend cap or band and attach a sling swivel stud to it (like on my M71). Either will work and allow the rifle to lay slab side - flat against your back when you sling it crosswise across your back. You're welcome.

"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Well, I'm in my mid sixties and I've been carrying guns for almost sixty years. Lots of bolt guns and lots of lever guns. I've never had a problem carrying a lever gun slinged the way I have it set up. No problems at all. However, I don't disagree with whatever works for anyone. If you like slinging it on its side, go for it. I have several lever guns and they carry just fine slung the way I set them up. Whatever floats your boat.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

That's just how all of my 94s are slung Joe. A very minimal price for the Uncle Mikes Sling Swivel Kit - no muss, no fuss and it's good to go.
ED
Yer never too old
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have two model 71s that have sling attachments on the magazine plugs.

One has a sling swivel stud built into the end of the plug:

The other has a sling swivel built into the end, that rotates and turns. Both can be used with a bottom or side-mounted sling. Not sure they are my favorite way to accomplish to though, since there is the possibility for a sling swivel to beat up the finish, depending on what sling swivel you use.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Homer wrote:allow the rifle to lay slab side - flat against your back when you sling it crosswise across your back.
Sling on the side makes a lot of sense. There are a number of reasons military slings have and are attached on the sides of rifles.

Like a military carbine, it is possible to carry a lever gun slung and at the ready when a sling it attached to the side of the rifle, or to the saddle ring, in a single-point configuration.

There are ways to attach slings to lever guns in either side or bottom position that are not destructive.