Sort of OT: Who here knows about bird dogs?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Sort of OT: Who here knows about bird dogs?

Post by Jason_W »

I'm making a point of it that the next place we move allows dogs and I really want to get some kind of bird dog.

Does anyone know a breed that is a good hunting buddy, but also pleasant to be around and won't eat our cat (the fiancee is quite attached).

I know German shorthairs are great grouse dogs, but my experience has been that they're a little moody.

Any insight?
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

What do you hunt?
Duck dogs, flushers, and pointers all all pretty different, so we need to know what you're chasing.
Some breeds can cover most of the bases pretty well, except pointing. For that you pretty much need a pointer, a setter, a continental or a Brittany Spaniel. If you're a duck and goose hunter, a retriever is a must, but a toller or a water spaniel can be really good too. Most retrieving breeds will also flush, but not all flushing breeds can take cold water.
If you're big on grouse hunting, a spaniel at heel might be the ticket. You don't want the dog flushing birds ahead of you - the dog stays close, you walk up and shoot, the dog retrieves. A Lab could do it too.
Any good adult hunting dog should eat your cat. If raised from a pup, the dog will likely learn to tolerate the cat's presence.
Last edited by homefront on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I would suggest one of two breeds for what you are talking about. One would be a well bred Brittany and the other would be a well bred Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Both are great bird hunters and are more personable and affectionate as pets. There may be better producers out there like English Pointers or English Setters, but they are not as likely to also make a good pet. The WPG has an added bonus of being a versatile hunter able to be taught to hunt birds as well as tracking larger game and tracking wounded game as well. Now if you are interested in a flushing dog as opposed to a pointer then look for a hunting bred Cocker Spaniel. They are also great pets, but you have to look hard to make sure you get a good hunter bred from hunting lines.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

homefront wrote:What do you hunt?
Duck dogs, flushers, and pointers all all pretty different, so we need to know what you're chasing.
Some breeds can cover most of the bases pretty well, except pointing. For that you pretty much need a pointer, a setter, a continental or a Brittany Spaniel. If you're a duck and goose hunter, a retriever is a must, but a toller or a water spaniel can be really good too. Most retrieving breeds will also flush, but not all flushers can take cold water.
Any good adult hunting dog should eat your cat. If raised from a pup, the dog will likely learn to tolerate the cat's presence.
I hunt ruffed grouse in Northern New England. I know that these brids will often hold tight when a dog is on to them, so I think I need some kind of pointer or setter. I don't really need a retriever since anything I hit will be pretty close due to the thickness of the brush.

My mom, who grew up working in a kennel recommended a Gordon Setter, but I don't know much about them.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Gordon bloodlines were owned by the show fraternity for a long time. Finding hunting stock may not be easy, but it's out there. Hunting English Setter stock is plentiful, and there's a type now called the Red Setter too, but I hear they're bred to run with pointers. I have a soft spot for setters myself.
I'd stay away from English Pointers - they're kind of like Greyhounds in that they really like to run, which wouldn't suit you. The German Wirehaired Pointers (Drahthaar) are good dogs, less rangy than English pointers. Same with the Wire-haired Pointing Griffon - a lot of good instinct, but easier to control.
Brittany's are a bit smaller (can get in tight brush, eat a bit less), and point nicely.
Whatever you choose, if you're using the dog to find birds (not just retrieve them) you'll have to put in extra time to train the dog to hunt close.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have not hunted with my Springer Spaniel, but he has the best nose I've ever seen on a dog. He can find just about anything, and loves to do it. He's a great family pet, loves everyone in the pack, gets along with dogs and accepts them in the house when properly introduced.

He doesn't point, he flushes, retrieves, loves water, will run the rabbit trails thru brambles and thorns, loves gun fire and you can shoot right over him. He loves the sound and looks for the results.

Mine is a little less disciplined than classic hunting dogs, but mostly because we don't have a cornfield to work out in, and I won't force him since he's a companion first.

Biggest drawbacks, he's so cottin picking cute I can't whack him, and he sheds a lot. Spaniels have a sense of humor and will make you laugh just 'cause they can. They also concentrate hard on having fun and will find ways to train you to play their games.

Some spaniels don't shed much. Ours isn't one of them. He's right at 49 pounds now and that's his ideal weight. Large even for the breed.

Springers are the fastest of the spaniels, but slower and smaller than the pointers.

I'd never choose a dog for someone else, but I'll always have a spaniel by me. Next one may be an English Cocker, they're a little smaller but with all the Springer pluses.

Grizz
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

English Cockers are awesome. But they don't point.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

Simple!
A POINTING LABRADOR!
Yes, they really do exist!
Best of both worlds and you get the world famous temperment of a Lab!
There's a reason they've been the mose registered dog in the USA for years ya know!
BB
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I don't think there is anything so classic in the grouse woods then a hunting bred English Setter. If you want a pointer. A Brittany would work too, maybe better.
Forget the Labradodo's, Yes they can be trained for other purposes, but deep down they're a retriever, that sheds their weight in hair per day, and can turn 10#'s of food into 40#'s of stuff. :shock:
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

Field Bred English Springer Spaniels! Get one with both champion field trial and champion tracking pedigrees. Woodcock, pheasant, duck, Yes they can whoop a goose also at 6 degreees. Rabbits, squirrels. one fox. dove. One killed a racoon by himself. Yes even quail. My favorite day or night hunt anything dog. Rough hunting will condition both yourself and companion. Just remember there is a great difference. Between a flushing and retrieving dog and a long ranging pointer. But hunting situations in America have greatly changed over the last generation. By all means research very well many breeds and kennels before you purchase your gun dog. Get a guarantee from the breeder. It is great that you are a responsible type and did not make an impulse buy. Research and think about this a while. There is plenty of time to have a nice started pup helping you retrive doves on Sepember 1st. You put in the work and they will learn extremley quickly. I myself have to always have two. I cannot wear out two dogs anymore. But "Springers" demand companionship. The breed can weigh 28-60 lbs. My number two choise would be a lab in a light color. It can be very hot on the dove openers.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

HANDS DOWN THE BEST DOG FOR POINTING ARE THE ENGLISH
POINTERS...HOWEVER THE BEST POINTER AND FAMILY HUNTING DOG
IS THE ENGLISH SETTER...IN MY OPINION ANYWAY....AND EXPERIENCE

GERMAN SHORTHAIRS ARE VERY, VERY HYPER....ALWAYS WOUND UP
AND NEED LOTS OF TIME OUTDOORS...TWO OF MY FRIENDS HAVE
THEM AND THEY NEVER STOP....THEY ALSO ARE LONG RANGE
BIRD DOGS, SO YOUR GONNA HAVE TO CHASE AFTER THEM..

I HAVE AN ENGLISH SETTER...AND FOR THE FIRST THREE YEARS
OF HIS LIFE HE WAS WITH ME EVERY DAY...DAY IN AND DAY OUT
AND WAS TRAINED TO BE A BIRD DOG...AND GREAT FAMILY PET..
OUTSIDE HES CONSTANTLY ON THE GO BUT WHEN HE ENTERS
THE HOUSE HE IS VERY CALM....GREAT WITH KIDS AND FAMILY
DURING HIS TRAINING REPITITION WAS THE KEY...
ONE WORD COMMANDS, AND HE MUST KNOW WHOS THE BOSS....
THEY HAVE KILLER NOSES, STAYS IN CLOSE, RESPONDS TO
COMMANDS WITH ONE CALL,
GREAT WATCH DOGS, PROTECTIVE, WONT EAT YOU OUT OF
HOUSE AND HOME, AND WILL BEHAVE WITH OTHER DOGS
I WAS VERY LUCKY...
I THINK SETTERS ARE A BIT MORE INTELLIGENT THAN ENGLISH POINTERS...
MOST OF MY NEIGHBORS HAVE LABS AND RETRIEVERS
OR LITTLE YAPPERS...NONE OF THEM LISTEN, OBEY COMMANDS
OR DO ANYTHING....THEY'RE JUST PETS....
HERES HARLEY
CHASING CRITTERS IN THE YARD
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

My preference for birds only and no ducks would be a mellow-bred English Setter.
Do NOT buy into a high-strung, field trial type bloodline. Instead, find a breeder of what we birdhunters call "meat dogs"...they might not be perfect in style and point, but they'll "bring home the meat" and be your best buddy while they're doing it.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

My mom, who grew up working in a kennel recommended a Gordon Setter, but I don't know much about them.
I looked a Gordon's about 20 yrs ago, but was given several dogs
from a family member and didn't get a Gordon. IIRC the breader
was north of San Fransisco, Petaluma I think. Do a search if you want
a Gordon and don't mind the distance. The Gordon was to be my choice
but I'm not really a gun dog person either.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

I have a WPG (Wire haired Pointing Griffon) that I got when she was 12 weeks old. Took her home and she began to play with the adult cat we had (yes had) but at about 16 weeks she again was "playing" with the cat and snapped its neck. I believe that all of the hunting breeds are just that,.. bred to hunt and have the internal drive to go after fur or feather.

I'm very happy with the WPG, great family dog and wonderful hunting companion but don't think we'll have any more cats around.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Thanks for the replies.

I was doing some research and it seems like all of the sporting breeds need a tremendous amount of exercise. I'm fine with that in theory, but with the way work schedules go, I might not be able to provide it with the activity it needs. That wouldn't really be fair to the dog, would it.

If only I could hunt every day.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Jason,

The active dogs will exercise themselves if you have enough fenced yard. My springer is free to escape along the beach but he almost never leaves the property. He's a 'velcro' dog, which I like a lot.

Hunting dogs like to have a job to do. Hiding a kibble of food in the house or in the yard and telling him to "FIND" is all the trigger he needs for the right kind of exercise. Once he's been rewarded for that job he will often take himself off around the grounds following all the scents made over night, then all the scents made yesterday, etc. The hunt thing is like a switch. Once it's "on" the dog will get exercise one way or another.

If I leave him in the house and then walk around the yard, places where he sees me and places where he can't, and then let him out, he will back-track every step I took, often at full speed. This also triggers his dna switch and he may run around for an hour just for the sheer joy of it.

Giving him healthy jobs to do goes a long way toward helping him work out and be happy. Working dogs get bored when they lay about too much, but they are happy house pets when they get some work and play in every day.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My dad loved his Springers. We also enjoyed English Setters and Golden Retreivers. Setters and Springers seem best suited. Never heard of a dog eating a cat with which it was raised.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Jason_W wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I was doing some research and it seems like all of the sporting breeds need a tremendous amount of exercise. I'm fine with that in theory, but with the way work schedules go, I might not be able to provide it with the activity it needs. That wouldn't really be fair to the dog, would it.

VERY thoughtful of you. You'll make a great owner. I had to get a smaller, non-sporting breed because I live in town. You can find a dog to use. Plenty of guys out there looking for an excuse to go out and hunt. My dad used to borrow dogs to hunt.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Tycer wrote:
Jason_W wrote:Thanks for the replies.

VERY thoughtful of you. You'll make a great owner. I had to get a smaller, non-sporting breed because I live in town. You can find a dog to use. Plenty of guys out there looking for an excuse to go out and hunt. My dad used to borrow dogs to hunt.
I've always liked Newfoundlands and it would be nice to have a wiling ice fishing buddy. Though I imagine the food bill would be a bit much.

Honestly though, I'd be pretty happy with a butt ugly mongrel as long as it was friendly and fun to be around.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hobie wrote:My dad loved his Springers. We also enjoyed English Setters and Golden Retreivers. Setters and Springers seem best suited. Never heard of a dog eating a cat with which it was raised.
Have any pictures? A Springer picture would be quite in context...

Grizz
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

One of these.

Will hunt and retrieve.

Their sadly deceased kennel mate went 120 lbs and would do the same with deer as well as birds.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grizz wrote:
Hobie wrote:My dad loved his Springers. We also enjoyed English Setters and Golden Retreivers. Setters and Springers seem best suited. Never heard of a dog eating a cat with which it was raised.
Have any pictures? A Springer picture would be quite in context...

Grizz
My dad had a portrait of his favorite, Toby, done (in 1945!). That is the ONLY picture I have. He was talking about that dog the day he died (and yes, he expected to die). Toby died while he was in Italy in 1946 and he never, ever forgot that dog. Dad died in 1999. I need to take a photo of that portrait but it is too late to get good light here.

PS It seems to me that having a good dog is a gift that God grants us to help us get through the day(s) here on earth. When you have a dog your whole life changes just as though you had a child. But the dog will be two years old all its 10-15 years and count on you every day of those 10-15 years.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Right on all counts Hobie,

I look forward to seeing your Dad's dog. Nothing like dog loyalty is there...