French Grey

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

French Grey

Post by kimwcook »

I like the looks of French Grey. I've wondered for years what it actually was. Googling it I just end up more confused. Some spray a coating to make it look grey, some acid etch..etc...Can someone tell me what the real French Grey process is. Looking at the Shiloh Sharps with French Greying and engraving really whet's my whistle. I'd like to know if it's a feasible finish on a using rifle.
Old Law Dawg
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I have a 18 yr. old Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle with a French Grey receiver and lever. I haven't noticed it thinning or wearing. It has darkened in a fine mottled pattern.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
copen
Levergunner

Post by copen »

Try e-mailing Shiloh.They'er good about answering your questions.
jp
Levergunner

Post by jp »

I had my 1894c completely French Greyed, except for the sights, at Eabco. I don't really know what this finish is but it is hard as can be. I had it done about 3 yrs. ago and use it hard. Still looks like it did when I first got it back. I'm sold on it. :lol:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Already emailed Shiloh. Just thought with all the knowledge on this forum I'd tap into it.
Old Law Dawg
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

This is what Eabco says about their French Grey finish:

"A soft looking, hard gray-metal finish which is superior to stainless steel in its corrosion resistance, wearability, and operational "slickness". We prepare the exterior metal surface by blasting with a blend of very fine aluminum oxide and glass bead media. This base surface preparation is actually what causes the deep "French Gray" look after plating is complete. The actual French Gray surface is a two-part metal plating process that bonds to steel at the molecular level. The result is a hermetic seal that protects against corrosion while beautifying the firearm it’s applied to. We’ve done our French Gray Finish on all types of firearms from handguns to long guns."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bruce there in lies the rub. Eabco state it's "our French Grey finish". As I said looking on the web there's a number of different ways of applying a French Grey finish. Another source of information states that the original way of getting a French Grey finish was to Case Color Harden the part and then polish it to it's grey color. That's why I posed the question. Thanks for your reply.
Old Law Dawg
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

French Gray finish.

Post by CaptainFinn »

Dixie Gun Works has a chemical called 'Logwood' that is supposed to be used to apply a 'French' or 'Coin Finish'. I don't have their catalogue handy at the moment, but if memory serves me, you boil the part in the chemical to achieve the muted grey finish.

The process you described sounded more like a modern approximation of a French Gray finish, only (possibly) a plating process instead of a chemical treatment.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Yeah, most references I found mention French Grey 'type' finishes. I understand there is a cyanide method of case hardening that imparts a grey finish. Whether this is true French Grey remains open to question.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Bruce Scott wrote:This is what Eabco says about their French Grey finish:

"A soft looking, hard gray-metal finish which is superior to stainless steel in its corrosion resistance, wearability, and operational "slickness". We prepare the exterior metal surface by blasting with a blend of very fine aluminum oxide and glass bead media. This base surface preparation is actually what causes the deep "French Gray" look after plating is complete. The actual French Gray surface is a two-part metal plating process that bonds to steel at the molecular level. The result is a hermetic seal that protects against corrosion while beautifying the firearm it’s applied to. We’ve done our French Gray Finish on all types of firearms from handguns to long guns."
That sounds like hard chrome.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Shiloh Sharps has it's own forum on a link from their web site. You'll probably get a faster answer there.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Rusty, already sent an email to Shiloh.

Craig, I think your on to at least one process for produrcing a French Grey finish. I think a matte grey hard chrome would produce a "French Grey" finish look. I'd like to know what an original finish was.
Old Law Dawg
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I'm interested too, always wondered about that. I believe the receiver of my Fabarm double is advertised as a french gray finish but it looks like hard chrome. Though it seems like french gray has been around far longer than industrial hard chrome finishes. I'm sure there are several ways to do it. What interested me specifically is the finish on several different Winchester commemorative M94's.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pictures anyone? I can't get the thought of moldy cheese out of my head when you say "French Grey"... :shock:
BoarHunter
Levergunner

Post by BoarHunter »

Bruce Scott wrote:Yeah, most references I found mention French Grey 'type' finishes. I understand there is a cyanide method of case hardening that imparts a grey finish. Whether this is true French Grey remains open to question.
You are right !

French side by side shotguns had their receiver usually made of soft iron, case hardened using cyanide bath and the process produced a uniform grey finish, not the usual colored one.

Currently it is made using chrome plating on a finely blasted surface.
Verney Caron uses this process.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well guys here's the skinny on French Grey. Got a reply to my email to Shiloh.

From Heather at Shiloh:

The French grey finish goes through the same case hardening process as the others, then it is quenched differently so that the color is washed out. It is more prone to rust, you would need to baby it quite a bit and keep in very well oiled. Also, this finish does not look good unless it is engraved. It sort of looks like you forgot to finish the rifle.

Thank you Shiloh!
Old Law Dawg
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Last edited by cas on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slow is just slow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Isn't that a fancy term for "in the white"? I know Shiloh said it is finished (while a truly "in the white" gun is not), but heck, it doesn't look like it is (probably explains why it is "more prone to rust")! :?
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Shiloh's reply goes along with a quote from Venturino I find in my notebook:
A French gray finish is accomplished by giving the receivers (and buttplates) their hardening process and then literally erasing the colors. French gray is popular with buyers when the rifle receivers are engraved, as it shows up better with the light-colored metal surface.
I recall reading a post on some forum (no notes, sorry) that indicated what little protection there is results from the surface being polished and hardened. The resulting surface is very smooth, and this somehow delays the onset of corrosion, but it will corrode eventually; the metal is basically bare.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I have to say that I like the way it looks but not the way it keeps.