OT-Charlton Heston dead at 84

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Charlton Heston dead at 84

Post by Mich Hunter »

Don't know if anyone else posted on this yet.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080406/ap_ ... bit_heston
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

We have lost a great American. He will be missed by many.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Missed indeed. God speed
:cry: :cry:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great Guy!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My favorite actor overall, and a fine spokesman for the several civil rights he chose to represent and become activist in relation to.

A TRUE American.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

I'll miss him.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

A true gentleman. RIP...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

May he rest in peace, one of the very few Hollywood Greats that was left.
He WAS Moses to me when I was a kid. This is one of my favorite scenes of all time that he performed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUR-OdR3egU
You will be missed. My Dad always called him Sterling Histon for some reason.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Yes he will be missed. I am sad but from what I understand he was suffering from Alzheimers, thus he came to the end of a very good life. He was what I call a man's man.

Personally I never really liked most actors. I believed they are too full of hubris but I always liked him. He came from a different era .
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

God Speed Mr. Heston. You are one of the greats.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

He was certainly one of the GOOD GUYS.
RIP
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

Truly a man among men! Something we conservatives could use more of right about now!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

heston

Post by brucew44guns »

Heston probably would have been a very good president of the U.S.. He had common sense and vision, something lacking in most leadership today. I always appreciated his willingness to take on people who were just plain wrong. He took on politicians, and I loved the way he went to Britain a few years ago and scolded the Brits for letting govt. take their firearms freedoms. He actually encouraged them to get the freedom back as I recall. A brave and outstanding man indeed. Bruce
Last edited by brucew44guns on Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Re: heston

Post by mklwhite »

brucew44guns wrote:Heston probably would have been a very good president of the U.S.. He had common sense and vision, something lacking in most leadership today. I always appreciated his willingness to take on people who were just plain wrong. He took on politicians, and I loved the way he went to Britain a few years ago and scolded the Brits for letting govt. take their friearms freedoms. He actually encouraged them to get the freedom back as I recall. A brave and outstanding man indeed. Bruce
+1
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Now there was a man who lived a full life! We owe him many thanks for his contributions aside from his acting work.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If it weren't for Heston, Reagan, Sellick, Wayne, and a few others, I'd not watch any movies because so many actors are such pinheads; like so many things, you can often easily sort out the 'good' and 'bad' simply by taking a look at their opinion on gun ownership. A good litmus test issue for integrity, morality, and common sense.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Godspeed, Mr. Heston.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

He will be sorely missed, we can only hope more like him will come forward over time.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great actor, great man, great American.
ED
Yer never too old
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, Me and old Chuck go back a long ways. Wayne LaPierre is also a good friend of mine. :D
Now that the BS is over with, I did have the honor of meeting both of them back when Mr. Heston was the NRA President. I don't think I have ever felt more honored in shaking a mans hand than I was with those two defenders of our freedom. (other than my own father's hand)

I met Wayne in the hallway and asked to have my photo taken with him. Not only did he oblige, but he took a few minutes of his time to talk.

When we had a group photo taken, Mr. Heston did not stand out in front to be the "big deal". He took a place in the middle of us all. I am saddened by Mr. Heston's passing and I sure hope there are others like him.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

brucew44guns wrote:Heston probably would have been a very good president of the U.S.. He had common sense and vision, something lacking in most leadership today. I always appreciated his willingness to take on people who were just plain wrong. He took on politicians, and I loved the way he went to Britain a few years ago and scolded the Brits for letting govt. take their friearms freedoms. He actually encouraged them to get the freedom back as I recall. A brave and outstanding man indeed. Bruce
+2
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

As Shakespeare once said:

"I think his kind will not pass this way again".
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

A sad day for America. God Bless you Mr. Heston.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+1 C. Cash. A sad day for the world, as we could use leaders and men of his caliber everywhere. :(

AJMD429 - spot on regarding the "pinheads" comment! :D

Tom - thanks for the pictures - I've added those to my desktop!
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I just recently rented one of his movies, "The Omega Man." He and Steve McQueen and Sam Peckinpah are probably chatting right now. I wonder what Moses thought of his interpretation of himself...guess he'll be able to ask him now. God Rest His Soul.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

"I wonder what Moses thought of his interpretation of himself...guess he'll be able to ask him now."

I thought that was a good one and repeated it to my wife.....she figures Moses was pretty flattered that they cast such a good looking guy in the role!

Wm
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

This reminds me of a song by George Jones- Who's gonna fill their shoes. John Wayne, Heston, Mc Queen, and the likes. We don't have movie stars like them anymore. Sad sad day.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

He will be missed.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

:shock:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Charlton Heston -- Harvard University -- February 16, 1999

I remember my son when he was five, explaining to his kindergarten class what his father
did for a living. "My Daddy," he said, "pretends to be people."

There have been quite a few of them. Prophets from the Old and New Testaments, a couple
of Christian saints, generals of various nationalities and different centuries, several kings,
three American presidents, a French cardinal and two geniuses, including Michelangelo.

If you want the ceiling re-painted I'll do my best. There always seem to be a lot of different
fellows up here. I'm never sure which one of them gets to talk. Right now, I guess I'm the
guy.

As I pondered our visit tonight it struck me: If my Creator gave me the gift to connect you
with the hearts and minds of those great men, then I want to use that same gift now to re-
connect you with your own sense of liberty of your own freedom of thought ... your own
compass for what is right.

Dedicating the memorial at Gettysburg, Abraham Lincoln said of America,"We are now
engaged in a great Civil War, testing whether this nation or any nation so conceived and so
dedicated can long endure." Those words are true again. I believe that we are again engaged
in a great civil war, a cultural war that's about to hijack your birthright to think and say what
resides in your heart. I fear you no longer trust the pulsing lifeblood of liberty inside you ...
the stuff that made this country rise from wilderness into the miracle that it is.

Let me back up. About a year ago I became president of the National Rifle Association,
which protects the right to keep and bear arms. I ran for office, I was elected, and now I
serve ... I serve as a moving target for the media who've called me everything from
"ridiculous" and "duped" to a "brain-injured, senile, crazy old man." I know ... I'm pretty
old... but I sure as Lord ain't senile.

As I have stood in the crosshairs of those who target Second Amendment freedoms, I've
realized that firearms are not the only issue. No, it's much, much bigger than that. I've come
to understand that a cultural war is raging across our land, in which, with Orwellian fervor,
certain acceptable thoughts and speech are mandated. For example, I marched for civil rights
with Dr.King in 1963 - long before Hollywood found it fashionable. But when I told an
audience last year that white pride is just as valid as black pride or red pride or anyone else's
pride, they called me a racist. I've worked with brilliantly talented homosexuals all my life.
But when I told an audience that gay rights should extend no further than your rights or my
rights, I was called a homophobe. I served in World War II against the Axis powers. But
during a speech, when I drew an analogy between singling out innocent Jews and singling
out innocent gun owners, I was called an anti-Semite. Everyone I know knows I would
never raise a closed fist against my country. But when I asked an audience to oppose this
cultural persecution, I was compared to Timothy McVeigh.

From time to time ,friends and colleagues, they're essentially friends from Time Magazine,
say how dare you speak your mind. You are using language not authorized for public
consumption!" But I am not afraid. If Americans believed in political correctness, we'd still
be King George's boys - subjects bound to the British crown.

In his book, "The End of Sanity," Martin Gross writes that "blatantly irrational behavior is
rapidly being established as the norm in almost every area of human endeavor. There seem
to be new customs, new rules, new anti-intellectual theories regularly foisted on us from
every direction.Underneath, the nation is roiling. Americans know something without a
name is undermining the nation, turning the mind mushy when it comes to separating truth
from falsehood and right from wrong. And they don't like it."

Let me read a few examples. At Antioch college in Ohio, young men seeking intimacy with a
coed must get verbal permission at each step of the process from kissing to petting to final
copulation ... all clearly spelled out in a printed college directive.

In New Jersey, despite the death of several patients nationwide who had been infected by
dentists who had concealed their AIDs --- the state commissioned announced that health
providers who are HIV-positive need not..... need not..... tell their patients that they are
infected.

At William and Mary, students tried to change the name of the school team "The Tribe"
because it was supposedly insulting to local Indians, only to learn that authentic Virginia
chiefs truly like the name.

In San Francisco, city fathers passed an ordinance protecting the rights of transvestites to
cross-dress on the job, and for transsexuals to have separate toilet facilities while undergoing
sex change surgery.

In New York City, kids who don't speak a word of Spanish have been placed in bilingual
classes to learn their three R's in Spanish solely because their last names sound Hispanic.

At the University of Pennsylvania, in a state where thousands died at Gettysburg opposing
slavery, the president of that college officially set up segregated dormitory space for black
students. Yeah, I know ... that's out of bounds now. Dr. King said "Negroes." Jimmy
Baldwin and most of us on the March said "black." But it's a no-no now.

For me, hyphenated identities are awkward ... particularly "Native-American." I'm a Native
American, for God's sake. I also happen to be a blood-initiated brother of the Miniconjou
Sioux. On my wife's side, my grandson is a thirteenth generation native American... with a
capital letter on "American."

Finally, just last month ... David Howard, head of the Washington D.C. Office of Public
Advocate, used the word "niggardly" while talking to colleagues about budgetary matters. Of
course, "niggardly" means stingy or scanty. But within days Howard was forced to publicly
apologize and resign. As columnist Tony Snow wrote: "David Howard got fired because
some people in public employ were morons who (a) didn't know the meaning of
niggardly,(b) didn't know how to use a dictionary to discover the meaning, and (c) actually
demanded that he apologize for their ignorance."

What does all of this mean? It means that telling us what to think has evolved into telling us
what to say , so telling us what to do can't be far behind. Before you claim to be a champion
of free thought, tell me: Why did political correctness originate on America's campuses? And
why do you continue to tolerate it? Why do you, who're supposed to debate ideas, surrender
to their suppression? Let's be honest. Who here thinks your professors can say what they
really believe? It scares me to death, and should scare you too, that the superstition of
political correctness rules the halls of reason. You are the best and the brightist. You, here in
the fertile cradle of American academia, here in the castle of learning on the Charles River,
you are the cream. But I submit that you, and your counterparts across the land, are the most
socially conformed and politically silenced generation since Concord Bridge. And as long as
you validate that and abide it ... you are - by your grandfathers' standards - cowards.

Here's another example. Right now at more than one major university, Second Amendment
scholars and researchers are being told to shut up about their findings or they'll lose their
jobs. Why? Because their research findings would undermine big-city mayor's pending
lawsuits that seek to extort hundreds of millions of dollars from firearm manufacturers. I
don't care what you think about guns. But if you are not shocked at that, I am shocked at
you. Who will guard the raw material of unfettered ideas, if not you?

Who will defend the core value of academia, if you supposed soldiers of free thought and
expression lay down your arms and plead, "Don't shoot me." If you talk about race, it does
not make you a racist. If you see distinctions between the genders, it does not make you a
sexist. If you think critically about a denomination, it does not make you anti-religion.

If you accept but don't celebrate homosexuality, it does not make you a homophobe. Don't
let America's universities continue to serve as incubators for this rampant epidemic of new
McCarthyism.

But what can you do? How can anyone prevail against such pervasive social subjugation?
The answer's been here all along. I learned it 36 years ago, on the steps of the Lincoln
Memorial in Washington D.C., standing with Dr. Martin Luther King and two hundred
thousand people. You simply ... disobey. Peaceably, yes. Respectfully, of course.
Nonviolently, absolutely. But when told how to think or what to say or how to behave, we
don't. We disobey social protocol that stifles and stigmatizes personal freedom. I learned the
awesome power of disobedience from Dr. King ...who learned it from Gandhi, and Thoreau,
and Jesus, and every other great man who led those in the right against those with the might.

Disobedience is in our DNA. We feel innate kinship with that disobedient spirit that tossed
tea into Boston Harbor, that sent Thoreau to jail, that refused to sit in the back of the bus,
that protested a war in Vietnam. In that same spirit, I am asking you to disavow cultural
correctness with massive disobedience of rogue authority, social directives and onerous laws
that weaken personal freedom.

But be careful ... it hurts. Disobedience demands that you put yourself at risk. Dr. King
stood on lots of balconies. You must be willing to be humiliated ... to endure the modern-
day equivalent of the police dogs at Montgomery and the water cannons at Selma. You must
be willing to experience discomfort. I'm not complaining, but my own decades of social
activism have taken their toll on me.

Let me tell you a story. A few years back I heard about a rapper named Ice-T who was
selling a CD called "Cop Killer" celebrating ambushing and murdering police officers. It was
being marketed by none other than Time/Warner, the biggest entertainment conglomerate
in the world. Police across the country were outraged. Rightfully so-at least one had been
murdered. But Time/Warner was stonewalling because the CD was a cash cow for them,
and the media were tiptoeing around it because the rapper was black. I heard Time/Warner
had a stockholders meeting scheduled in Beverly Hills. I owned some shares at the time, so I
decided to attend. What I did there was against the advice of my family and colleagues. I
asked for the floor. To a hushed room of a thousand average American stockholders, I
simply read the full lyrics of "Cop Killer"- every vicious, vulgar, instructional word.

"I GOT MY 12 GAUGE SAWED OFF
I GOT MY HEADLIGHTS TURNED OFF
I'M ABOUT TO BUST SOME SHOTS OFF
I'M ABOUT TO DUST SOME COPS OFF..."

It got worse, a lot worse. I won't read the rest of it to you. But trust me, the room was a sea
of shocked, frozen, blanched faces. The Time/Warner executives squirmed in their chairs
and stared at their shoes. They hated me for that. Then I delivered another volley of sick
lyric brimming with racist filth, where Ice-T fantasizes about sodomizing two 12-year old
nieces of Al and Tipper Gore.

"SHE PUSHED HER BUTT AGAINST MY ...."

Well, I won't do to you here what I did to them. Let's just say I left the room in echoing
silence. When I read the lyrics to the waiting press corps, one of them said "We can't print
that."

"I know," I replied, "but Time/Warner's selling it."

Two months later, Time/Warner terminated Ice-T's contract. I'll never be offered another
film by Warner's, or get a good review from Time magazine. But disobedience means you
must be willing to act, not just talk. When a mugger sues his elderly victim for defending
herself ... jam the switchboard of the district attorney's office. When your university is
pressured to lower standards until 80% of the students graduate with honors... choke the
halls of the board of regents. When an 8-year-old boy pecks a girl's cheek on the playground
and gets hauled into court for sexual harassment ... march on that school and block its
doorways. When someone you elected is seduced by political power and betrays
you...petition them, oust them, banish them. When Time magazine's cover portrays
millennium nuts as deranged, crazy Christians holding a cross as it did last month ...boycott
their magazine and the products it advertises.

So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to follow in the hallowed footsteps of the
great disobedience's of history that freed exiles, founded religions, defeated tyrants, and yes,
in the hands of an aroused rabble in arms and a few great men, by God's grace, built this
country. If Dr. King were here, I think he would agree.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I MAN that was true to his convictions and one to stand against tyranny of violations of civil liberties in various forms.A renaissance man of the 20th century born of humble beginnings.A lifetime legacy of character and whit that will be hardpressed to press into a stereotype title of liberal or conservative.But a MAN that by action and speech exemplar Liberty.Yes he will be missed by many and dismissed by a few pinheads.Godbless his family and Godspeed CH. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by Jaguarundi on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

BTW Tycer a most excellent post. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

A sad sad sad day a great and honourable man, would have made a great president, loved him in Will Penny and Major Dundee, God speed Mr Heston I will miss you. Winchester 1886.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

brucew44guns wrote:Heston probably would have been a very good president of the U.S.. He had common sense and vision, something lacking in most leadership today. I always appreciated his willingness to take on people who were just plain wrong. He took on politicians, and I loved the way he went to Britain a few years ago and scolded the Brits for letting govt. take their firearms freedoms. He actually encouraged them to get the freedom back as I recall. A brave and outstanding man indeed. Bruce
+1 R.I.P.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.