truck kit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

truck kit

Post by Mescalero »

As many of you know, I have a fondness for bows.
I have for years carried a take down recurve in my truck kit.
It is a Bear 76'er some of you know this bow.
I want to stay with the concept so I am looking for a quality, in good shape; take down recurve.
I know this is an outdated concept, but I am stubborn :lol: (imagine that ).
So does anyone have an old take down recurve laying around that they would part with or have any leads?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: truck kit

Post by Rusty »

There is a guy near me in Lakeland, Fl that has a business and a website. http://www.traditionalarcherysales.com/root/

You might also try tradgang.com
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks, Rusty;
Saw some good stuff there.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

What pound bow do you wish? The problem with a bow in your climb is that enclosed vehicles in hot climates are lethal to laminated or natural bows. A carbon bow can tolerate the temps.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I can live with 45 to 60 # @ 28" draw,
And tell me about it.
I am going to get the snot kicked out of me for ruining a beautiful Shakespeare 48 " 45# 28" draw bow I left stung in my truck in El Paso,
Texas when I worked at W.R.Weaver Co.
When I take the journey.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a takedown longbow, same custom buyer as the one I sent to you, but it does not stay in the truck. It's a 64# bow. My truck bow is a Hoyt buffalo, carbon limbs and a quiver of 2 dozen arrows, blunts, field and broad heads , along with my finger glove. 55# Sorry for the loss of the bow. I highly recommend the Hoyt if you can find a used one at a good price. I couldn't so bought it new at Lancaster Archery. They have an on line store
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks for the tip.
Must be why I have gotten away with the 76'er, all glass limbs.
Glad to hear I am not the only one with a bow for " the hard times "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Glass limbs are laminates. Given the wrong circumstances, they will fail in heat as the resin delaminates.
Mike Johnson,

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Not confidence inspiring :?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sorry :(
Mike Johnson,

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I still have my 76 er. I also have a fiberglass bow of my fathers that he bought after Korea. It looks like a typical long bow but separates at the handle.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I had a nice Bear takedown recurve back in the 70's. A "buddy" sold it (along with some other things of mine)before leaving town. I should have tried to replace it back then, I was shocked when I saw what they go for now.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

These guys have a MARTIN JAGUAR Take-Down Recurve for 149.00
http://www.archerywarehouse.com/martinrec.htm

Some really good prices here
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bows/tr ... -bows.html
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

I started out with a 76 back in 80. I now have a VPA Archery takedow with two sets of limbs, 42lb and 53lb. Guess I am going to sound ignorant, but I have no idea if the limbs can stand heat or not. Rayzor of VPA can answer that question. I really like the bow. It is a long bow with aluminum riser. Later, moodyholler
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/compa ... val-bow-1/

I've been looking at this one for a "truck kit" bow, or for a bug out bag. It looks pretty sturdy and folds down to only 23", which is perfect for stashing in the truck. It comes in 40, 50, or 55 pound draw weights, and costs $150. There are numerous videos of people shooting one out there on the net, and it looks to be decently accurate. Just a suggestion if you're looking for something that won't be as adversely affected by the heat of a truck, and won't break the bank. Here's where you can purchase one:

http://www.goprimalnow.com/Compact_Fold ... s/1826.htm
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

You might try looking on the Three Rivers Archery website. They have several takedown recurves to choose from as well as all kinds of nifty traditional archery gear. I had a Bear 76 that I was told once belonged to James Dickey, had no proof of that though. Gave it to a young family who had 3 boys who loved shooting it 10 years ago. Hope at least one is still using it.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

shooter, Thanks.
Did not know about that one.................... pretty nifty.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My bear recurve is in Alaska, I haven't shot it for about 40 years. I couldn't shoot it now. I can lift 45# OK but I can't hold the bow to aim it. I think.

I could shoot a crossbow though, and I could build one with metal limbs that won't degrade in sunlight...... so maybe I will while I can

Sorry about your bow.

edit to say, the bow is way more techno than my spear, so maybe I'll just stay with the paleo theme, or build a spear-chucker like Jorge's.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Mescalero wrote:shooter, Thanks.
Did not know about that one.................... pretty nifty.
No problem. I thought it was pretty nifty as well. The limbs are fiberglass, which means they will degrade in the sunlight and heat, but you can buy replacement limbs from that company.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams