Not lever, but bolt...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Not lever, but bolt...

Post by alnitak »

OK...what say the collective wisdom of the group here...

If you had $700 (or so) to spend on a starter LR bolt rifle in .308, would you go with some variation of the Remington 700, Savage 10, Tikka (T3 may be a little more) or Howa (maybe 1500)?

Opinions and justification are welcome. BTW, notice I am leaving Scout rifles (Ruger GSR, Mossberg MVP, Savage Scout, etc.) out of the conversation. Though I probably will never go to 1000 yards, I want the option...so no 16.5" barrels (though 18" are considered).

To further clarify, I expect over time to tune the rifle for max performance, however, funds will be limited to essential upgrades (e.g., stock, optics, etc.), and limited dollars will be available. For example, it is unlikely that I will spend money to blueprint and true an action; it's more likely that at some point I will sell my "starter" rifle and get a custom one (say a GAP or AI) if I find an affinity for the sport.

Initial thoughts are for an 18"-24" bull barrel (though a 26" could be cut down), threaded (again, could do it later if I cut a longer barrel), with a 1 in 10" twist for heavier bullets (however, the Rem 5R in 1 in 11.25" seems very highly regarded). I'm leaning towards the 18"-20" range for ease of handling and given the minimal impact on accuracy out to 1000 yards. I also want some kind of BDM configuration, though the exact make is unclear. Goal is sub-MOA potential out to 600-800 yards (or beyond, and in the hands of a skilled LR shooter...lol, not me!).

Thoughts?
Last edited by alnitak on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not lever, but bolt...

Post by Mescalero »

My personal long range rifle is a Rem 700 in 6.5-06.
It was built before the current crop of Savage bolt guns.
I have heard good things about them, but no real experience with them.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Check your local news website classifieds( in our case they quit listing guns but a link took you to a local website that does list guns for sale) and see what is for sale in your area in 308 caliber. I have a Savage 114 in 300 win mag that I've hit the 1000yd target with. The barrels are pretty good and I like the accutrigger, I've since upgraded to another Savage 111LRH that I just broke in and its shootin great!!. Save up for good optics!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd either get a Ruger or a Savage, personally; I've owned both, and from a durability, aesthetics, and accuracy standpoint, neither seemed possible to beat with any off-the-shelf competitor. I feel like the Rugers are stronger and to me what a bolt-gun should look like and feel like, and yet the Accu-trigger Savages are likely more accurate as a rule. I don't think the Remington or Winchester guns are bad, but I just never saw anything to like about them more than the Ruger or Savage.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Remington 700; I don't even like to be around them. Too many "accidental" firings in the hands of knowledgeable, responsible users who aren't pulling the triggers. I think Remington did a design change that "fixed the non-problem" but I'd want to check into that and know which 700 I was getting.

I'd look into buying a Savage if price was a driving consideration. I can only say I've heard certain models are extremely accurate for a price that doesn't cost a half semester of your kid's college tuition.

Since I don't have kids!.... I'd go online and find an excellent used Sako Model L579 (pre-72), the later Model 75, or latest (new or used) Model 85 in that order. The Sakos also come in a heavy barrel configuration, but they are hard to find in .308...at least an early L579 HB .308 is. I've been looking for a L579 HB .308 from 1960's for a long time. Sako is known the world over for accuracy. I can speak personally to that for the Sako L579 .308 with a sporter barrel, as well as in .243. The Sako also is a beautifully made rifle in every aspect of form and function, especially the pre-72 models imported by International Firearms.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on!

Good shooting!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

model71alaska,
In my shooting, using the safety; is not part of my standard operating procedure.
I am a shooter, not a hunter.
There is some REAL world consequence with the Rem. saftey mechanics.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Honestly, some variation of the 700 would be first choice. Savage's shoot, but I don't like the looks other than maybe their classic (I think that's what they call it).

Byron
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I would probably go with a savage. An 18'' or 20'' barrel may not be enough to get you the velocity for 1000yds to stay supersonic. 308's have been used for many years to 1000yds, but there are better choices these days especially when handloading. I would go with a 7mm-08 (always plenty of brass out there)or 284 winchester. The 7mm now have bullets with better bc's than either the 6.5mm or the 308's. The 6.5s are comfortable to shoot and dont wear you down nearly as quick as a 308 with 170+grain bullets, but you will see less barrel life. Sub MOA with handloaded ammo is not that difficult to achieve with almost any rifle unless its an absolute dog.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Winchester M70 featherweight.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

tman wrote:Winchester M70 featherweight.
+1
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If you can stand the green/black textured stock, the Savage Hog Hunter comes in 308, threaded, heavy barrel, 20 or 22" and the few I've used were MOA accurate. Smooth action and tang safety too.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

New, I would get a Savage with the Accu Trigger. If you could find a good used Remington from at least 10 years ago (before the current owners messed up the manufacturing), then a Timney trigger and a good stock should make it plenty accurate. Remington may have had a few issues with the triggers, and maybe they were from owners messing with the screws to set trigger weight and failing to adjust the other screws for creep and sear adjustment, or maybe they were just from poor design. However, the accuracy has never been in doubt. The longest serving sniper rifles in the Army and Marine Corps are based on the Remington 700. If you want to go up in price, there are many good rifles.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just home a new Ruger 77 on Monday. I wanted blue steel and walnut stock but couldn't find one anywhere. I settled for all weather stainless. It kind of grows on you. Mine is .223.
I had a Savage and HATE the Acutrigger, but to each his own.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

Have you looked at the CZ's?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, the best .308 starter rifle would be a Ruger American (under $400).

My 2rd place choice would go to either Marlin XS-7, a Mossberg ATR, or a Savage Axis. (same price range).

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Lassiter wrote:
tman wrote:Winchester M70 featherweight.
+1
+2 :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Plain Jane savage and use the left over cash for good glass.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Any you listed will work well. Savage is probably the most accurate out-of-the box factory rifle today. If you understand the construction of the rifle, you know why. They are not as pretty as the others.

Remington 700s are very popular for long-range rifles. A lot of this popularity is because they have a round action and are therefor easier to bed than other rifles, resulting in a preference by gunsmiths. The result is that there is a lot of gunsmith knowledge and a lot of parts for them.

I like the Howa rifles, they are not expensive, look and feel very nice, and are very accurate, getting close to or matching the accuracy you can get from a Savage. They have the Sako-type extractors that a lot of people want in their 700 bolts, which are not zoo good to add to a 700, but are fine in a rifle that was designed to use them.

I have always liked Tikkas. The really hie thing about the Tikkas is that they are the budget Sakos, but the quality is still Sako quality everywhere it counts, quite different from what most manufacturers do (think Rem 700 vs. Rem 770).

I have always liked Winchesters (prefer them to a Rem 700), and Ruger makes stout rifles, but Winchesters are more expensive and Rugers have design issues that make consistent accuracy more difficult to obtain, which is why you don't see long range rifles built on them, so despite the recommendations in this thread, I think you are on the right track with the rifles you are looking at.

Make sure you consider stock design and save enough money for quality glass, base, and rings. Don't go cheap there.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

What JREED said . Savage has some good package deals with fair glass.Howa does have package deals not sure of their optics.It is said to be the same action as the Weatherby Vanguard.Later on should you choose Savage you could do DIY barrel changes.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Not impressed with the scopes in most package deals - better off to choose exactly what you want. I always consider package deal to mean I would have a scope and rings I would need to upgrade.
Awsomepossum
Levergunner

Post by Awsomepossum »

Tikka t3, very lightweight, smoothest action, great quality. Also I would look for a savage or Remington 700(one of the older ones)
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

model55 wrote:What JREED said . Savage has some good package deals with fair glass.Howa does have package deals not sure of their optics.It is said to be the same action as the Weatherby Vanguard.Later on should you choose Savage you could do DIY barrel changes.
The Vanguard was a Howa 1500 marked Weatherby. Now Weatherby builds them in the US, but it is the same rifle. Howas or Howa/Weatherbys tend to be more accurate than the US-made Vanguards, unless you pay extra for the accuracy guarantee from Weatherby.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Lots of interesting rifles from CZ. I have a CZ 550 American that I just adore. What is unusual about the CZ rifles is the set trigger. Very nice triggers and excellent for target shooting. Check out this one as an example. Guaranteed MOA to 600 yards.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz- ... ing-rifle/

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Here's some interesting reading on the subject. The answers may not be exactly to what question you are asking, but the more info to base decisions on the better I believe. He does touch on basic entry level guns though. I enjoyed the entire series of articles and re-read it now and then.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practica ... equipment/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Malamute wrote:Here's some interesting reading on the subject. The answers may not be exactly to what question you are asking, but the more info to base decisions on the better I believe. He does touch on basic entry level guns though. I enjoyed the entire series of articles and re-read it now and then.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practica ... equipment/
Good article Malamute!

Thanks all for the good advice. I can see this new venture will take some time, learning ...and cash to do it right!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

I have owned both the Savage w/accutrigger and the Howa 1500. Both are accurate enough. The Howa balanced and handled better IMO than the Savage. The howa has a much smoother action. I replaced the trigger on the Howa with a unit from Timney. Once that was done along with some stock work both rifles were just about equily accurate. I have relativly cheap glass on both. Burris Fullfield II 3X9. Not bad for what I paid though. The Howa is in .308 and the Savage is an '06. I would choose a Tikka T-3 over both if I had to do it again.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I bought a badly bubbaed up Argentine '09 and am rebarreling it to 308 NATO and looking to stock it as a poor mans version of the Parker Hale M-825 Sniper rifle the Canadians used (referred to as the C3A1).

But of the rifles you mentioned.......the Savage or the Remington would be my choice. Remington offers several match ready rifle models so they might be the easiest and in the long run the least expensive option. At least that was what my research showed before I embarked on this project. I just decided I want the experience of building up my own rifle from scratch.

Wm
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

CowboyTutt wrote:Lots of interesting rifles from CZ. I have a CZ 550 American that I just adore. What is unusual about the CZ rifles is the set trigger. Very nice triggers and excellent for target shooting. Check out this one as an example. Guaranteed MOA to 600 yards.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz- ... ing-rifle/

-Tutt
Absolutely agree...CZ 550 FS, personally I would chamber it in 6.5 X 55

:http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Here's my CZ choice: The 550 Varmint .308 heavy barrel with a walnut stock. There is no special order high grade wood available for the 550 Varmint. Turns out the standard walnut on these rifles ranges from average to exceptional...the luck of the draw.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-varmint/ (Note the review at the bottom.)

I'm looking for one of these right now. :D Please PM me if your LGS has one with nice wood.