What hardness tester to buy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

What hardness tester to buy

Post by pwl44m »

I'm in the market for a Lead Hardness Tester. Which one do U use/recommend ? I have looked at several-actually there aren't that many to choose from. They all seem pretty simple. There are Pros & Cons of using one in the first place. So what say You Levergunners ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What hardness tester to buy

Post by Ray Newman »

I have an older LBT Hardness Tester and find it reliable and easy to use. See:

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml

Even though I buy from a dealer with certified lead, I always check my lead for hardness. Just something that I started doing many years ago and have not stopped.

If you are a lead scrounger and have a developed an alloy of a certain and known brinel hardness number (BhN) -- AKA hardness -- that does not lead the bore, you can easily repeat the alloy content by mixing and then measuring the hardness. I know a more than a few cast bullet shooters and often times their leading problems originated from not knowing the hardness of the alloy.

It is one of those reloading tools, much like the dial caliper or a vernier caliper, that make reloading and casting more efficient and accurate on the target.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ray Newman wrote:I have an older LBT Hardness Tester and find it reliable and easy to use. See:

Even though I buy from a dealer with certified lead, I always check my lead for hardness. Just something that I started doing many years ago and have not stopped.

If you are a lead scrounger and have a developed an alloy of a certain and known brinel hardness number (BhN) -- AKA hardness -- that does not lead the bore, you can easily repeat the alloy content by mixing and then measuring the hardness. I know a more than a few cast bullet shooters and often times their leading problems originated from not knowing the hardness of the alloy.

It is one of those reloading tools, much like the dial caliper or a vernier caliper, that make reloading and casting more efficient and accurate on the target.
+1 on LBT.

Plus you're supporting the little guy that does great work.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rusty wrote:
Ray Newman wrote:I have an older LBT Hardness Tester and find it reliable and easy to use. See:
+1 on LBT.
Plus you're supporting the little guy that does great work.
+2
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have an older all-steel Saeco (the new ones are aluminum) which I like, but it will only test an actual bullet, not an ingot or other lead sample. Still, it gets me by just fine. If I were looking to buy a lead hardness tester now, I would go for the LBT.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I also have a Saeco. Mine has an aluminum body. It works just fine and is small and easy to store as it comes in a box about the size of a stick of bullet lube and has instructions included. :D
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx for the input Guys. There is an LBT on e-bay that I came across last nite. Pics are lousy so couldn't tell much about it and it has 6 days left. I'll watch it though and see where it goes. It is currently at $43 and I would venture to say it will go close to new or more. I will watch it for a day or 2 and if it gets ridiculous I will order one from LBT. It looks like the most simple to operate and I like the option to test ingots.
Perry
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Another vote for the LBT, mine is going on it's 24th year.

A lead thermometer is pretty handy as well.

Anything you can do to stop the guess work when casting is a big plus.

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

The tester on e-bay is currently at $65 with 5 days left. I printed out the order form for LBT and will send it out tomorrow. I ordered a Thermometer from Amazon plus the new "Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook". My bullets are getting cheaper & cheaper all the time with everything I buy. :lol:
Perry