Marlin Cowboys Back?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Marlin Cowboys Back?

Post by Griff »

From the MarlinOwners forum: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/1 ... tshow.html

Fixed link.
Last edited by Griff on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin Cowboys Back?

Post by Mescalero »

problem with the link guy.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I couldn't untangle the link but did find this Chiappa video with their version of the model 39.

It starts about 3 minutes in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaqih-nfFWY#t=219
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Blockhead doesn't even know what he's talking about... A "10 shot, .22 .17HMR, 'single shot...'" etc..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Buck Elliott wrote:Blockhead doesn't even know what he's talking about... A "10 shot, .22 .17HMR, 'single shot...'" etc..

Did you also hear him say that "Marlin didn't make that many 39a's". :roll: I guess 80 years of production didn't create that many. :D

Pretty "mini carbine", but I have no use for a pretty 18.5" barrel rimfire lever.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Griff, your link didn't work so I am reposting this link that I think is to the same article your referencing.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/1 ... tshow.html

Below are the posters original comments. Personally I hope they are accurate. Marlin definitely needs to take drastic measures to increase new rifle sales. Reintroducing the COWBOY models would certainly do that in spades provided they have corrected their quality assurance issues.

Thought I'd post this here for the 336 Fans Also!

Here is the scoop for today’s jaunt to the ShotShow and the Marlin Booth.
According to my sales rep (John Cason) several models will be making a reappearance.
Additional production efforts will now heavily focus on the 1894 and 39A product lines.
The fit and finish on the models on display are MILES ABOVE what was here last year.
-------------------------
1894C and 1894CB (20” octagon) and 1894S models should be in production about the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year.
(That probably means to start looking for them at your LGS the following quarter)
The 1895 CB in 45 Colt is in production now.
1894 Cowboy 45 Colt –- Manufacturers Suggested retail price (MSRP)= $1,041
1894 (44mag/44 spl) MSRP=$729
1894C (357mag/38 spl) MSRP=$729
1895 should be available in several different models.
1895 MSRP=$696
1895G MSRP=$701
1895GS MSRP=$837
1895GBL MSRP=$734
1895CB MSRP=$840
1895SBL MSRP=$1,070
444 should also be in production in the 3rd or 4th qtr of 2014
MSRP=$669
336 should be available in the following

336Y MSRP=$515
336C MSRP=$610
336C Limited Edition MSRP=$850 -- (features the Marlin Horse and Rider logo engraved on the left side of the receiver in 24 caret gold,w/ scrollwork on the right side. The trigger is Gold Plated also and the Stock is Grade B Walnut. the words "Limited Edition" is roll stamped into the barrel.)
336W MSRP=$515 (w/ Factory Scope MSRP=$565)
336SS MSRP=$749
336XLR MSRP=$932
336BL MSRP=$649
Some other related items……
308MX MSRP=$686
308MXLR MSRP=$905
338MX MSRP=$683
338MXLR MSRP=$900
X7 Bolt Action Repeater (Long or short action) MSRP=$403
X7Y (Short action) MSRP=$403
X7VH MSRP=$409
39A MSRP=$709
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Lesson: Never put the new guy from the mail room on camera..

If he really is the best Chiappa has to offer, little wonder they've had problems !
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I watched the Chiappa guy long enough to see him put the "13 clips" back into the .380 pistol, BACKWARDS! WOW, he must have been drunk or something!

It will be nice if the quality of the new Marlins is back to standards.

Kevin
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I don't know if it's just me but I wouldn't touch a new Marlin unless I stripped it down to the last nut and bolt to inspect it.

They were a good gun once, but having bought one of the late ones and needing someone to put a leg rope on me to stop me grabbing the P.O.S by the barrel and slinging it down range it will take years to restore my confidence.

There are a million of the old/good Marlins out there, lets wear them out first, by then RemLin should've got their manure together.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sorry 'bout the link. Horsesoldier, yeah, that looks llike the same info.

I thought interesting that they were announced, possibly back in production. I'll wait til I can coon-fingrer 'em before I pass judgment
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I think he said Marling didn't make many 39's, not 39A's.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

InTheWoods wrote:I think he said Marling didn't make many 39's, not 39A's.
I don't think he really knew what he was talking about. Too many people use the generic term "39" when they talk about the 39A. I'm sure he is one of them.

Just an fyi......it's Marlin. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

It is encouraging they might breathe some life into the 444 again. It would shore up component supplies.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Looked at about six Marlin leverguns at their SHOT booth.
Fore-end loose on one.
Daylight visible through gap between stock & frame on one.
Bubblegum filler material in that same gap between wood & frame on another.
Machining looked a shade better overall.

Inspect carefully before you hand over cash.
Denis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's just sad.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Agreed.
The company says they're putting huge money into upgrading production, and they are taking the brand seriously.
Two things were major contributors to the QC problem: Most of the people who knew how to make the leverguns did not move to the new plant, and the equipment was old & worn. Previous owners hadn't made much capital investment in keeping up.

Another problem that rose from the first was apparently there were no detailed parts drawings.
They've been going back through & developing those drawings & specs.

I still have hope, but in the meantime just inspect carefully on a prospective buy.
Denis
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

"Two things were major contributors to the QC problem: Most of the people who knew how to make the leverguns did not move to the new plant"....................... from what I have learned over at Marlin Owners they took NO One from Marlin....I guess they thought You just click Your heels together and Say there's no place like Home. :shock: .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45colt wrote:"Two things were major contributors to the QC problem: Most of the people who knew how to make the leverguns did not move to the new plant"....................... from what I have learned over at Marlin Owners they took NO One from Marlin....I guess they thought You just click Your heels together and Say there's no place like Home. :shock: .
Sounds like 'health care' of today... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

From what I've gathered, it's not that employees weren't asked to join Remington and come work at the plant in SC, it's that the employees didn't want to move. It's understandable, but don't blame Remington responsible for former Marlin employee's decisions. Ye, they own the blame for puttin' shoddy product on the street, and I'm sure they justified it in the manner of all "bean-counters"; they needed the income to stem the hemorraging of cash from the purchase AND the start up of the "new" plant!

Same thing happens all the time across all industries.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Well, I had it happen to me in the mid 80's. I went from a person who was paying 1/3rd of my income in taxes to paying very little or no taxes in the last 30 yrs. Yah it is great when this stuff happens, only makes the rich richer.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

.45colt wrote:"Two things were major contributors to the QC problem: Most of the people who knew how to make the leverguns did not move to the new plant"....................... from what I have learned over at Marlin Owners they took NO One from Marlin....I guess they thought You just click Your heels together and Say there's no place like Home. :shock: .
Maybe we need to take some things with a grain of salt. Did Remington offer to move folks to the new plant, and folks decided that they did not want to move, or was the offer never made? Usually two sides to every story.

I have owned many of the old Marlins, and other than the Century Limited 1894, none of them were what I would consider a high quality lever gun. All were good value for the dollar, but high quality....no. If and when the M94 returns, I hope it is a whole bunch better than the old one, and I expect to pay more for it....
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Video fair to middlin'. The feller talking was obviously just a salesman; "10 shot .17 HMR that is a single shot" and of course the reference to Marlin's limited production of the 39A. I worked a lot of trade shows for a theatrical and motion picture lighting equipment manufacturing company. I was a "technical advisor" to the sales staff/agents. The salesmen knew lots about numbers; prices, discounts, and commissions, but knew little about how the products worked and that's where I came in. Many times I had to, very politely, correct a salesman on a technical (or sometimes simple) aspect of the products (no, sorry, you can't plug this light in at home you need 220 volts @ 20 amps or so...). This guy fits the "semi-informed" sales type...

I saw the 3 barrel shotguns last year in SHOT show reports, but never heard of them again. Never saw one in any gun store, magazine or TV, but he said they were very popular and hunters requested more variations...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...