Scopes are the best !!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Scopes are the best !!!!!!!!

Post by Old Savage »

Because - you can see the target better.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's a pretty profound statement Old Savage. I don't think I've heard that one before. :D
Old Law Dawg
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

TARZAN SAY This Man Smart!!!! :) .Jim.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That's what the nephew said about the scope on his M14 in Iraq.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

...and if your friend has a spotting scope he can watch you miss.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If you aren't blind or optically challenged aperture sights are best.
Scopes are a crutch.

I have one rifle with a scope on it, no iron sights. As soon as I get the irons on it the scope may go bye bye permanently.

Joe
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Perhaps, if all you do is "target" shoot.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

No question about it, telescopic sights are easier to use.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I own exactly 4 scoped rifles, a Browning .22 Auto, a Browning B-78, a Remington 700 and a Winchester 94 AE. All the rest have either receiver sights or original barrel type. :)
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

If you are shooting at a prairie dog at 450 yards iron sights are of little value, an elk or deer at 200 they work just fine. It all depends on the type of shooting you do. To make bold statements one way or the other is ridiculous. IMHO
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

You guys are all silly :roll: , I don't even use sights. 8)

That gives the "squills" a sporting chance. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What's a "scpoe"? :wink:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I love shooting with metallic sights & prefer it, but sighting is easiest with a scope,( a no brainer actually) and especially in low light, even with a crappy little 3/4 inch diameter scope ...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

To make bold statements one way or the other is ridiculous. IMHO
and to make ridiculous statements one way or the other is bold. :twisted:
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

sobenk wrote:
To make bold statements one way or the other is ridiculous. IMHO
and to make ridiculous statements one way or the other is bold. :twisted:
ridiculous statements are just ridiculouse statements, nothing more.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

OS,

You sure are getting alot of mileage out of this one......... :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Must be talkin bout those new fangled "lookin pipes" I see on guns folks from the city carry. :lol:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I started hunting about 44 years ago, and I have tried them all. I have used lots of open irons of various styles, lots of peep/ receiver sights, and scopes.

And I would feel fairly safe to say that if you want the best chance of bagging game, under most conditions, then a Low powered variable, but not too low, is the best sight of all. In this day and age, I think most hunters mount too big a scope. I have always preferred the 2x7 variable, usually a Leupold. And I always keep it on 2 power for a close fast shot, if it is a longer shot, I almost always have time to turn it up. Even in fairly thick brush a low powered scope is usually better, because quite often the shot is at the outer edge of clarity, through the brush, and a scope helps identify the target, and find a hole in the brush to slip a bullet through, and that goes double, when the shadows start getting long in the low light of evening.

However, there are times when a scope is not the best. I have seen the time when it was snowing, and a scope was almost useless, even a low powered one. Dangerous game at very close range is another time when I would prefer a receiver sight with a big hole in it, or better yet, a good shallow V open sight. If is is raining, I would about as soon have an iron sighted gun.

Some people will be quick to tell stories of how they have shot pretty small targets at very long range with ironsights in good light. I have my own stories, where I have done the same. If you set a small but bright target up in good light at long range, I just might surprise you on how good a shot, I might make on it. But that is not the usual shot you get, under hunting conditions.

Now, all of that aside, I love iron sighted rifles and own many, but if I really want to kill anything that presents itself, under hunting conditions, I will usually choose my Browning BLR with a 2x7 Leupold.

However, nothing carries better then an open sighted pre-64 Winchester 30/30 leveraction, and for close range fast shooting at moving game, it's hard to beat. But when I say close, I mean close, 30 yards or less, much farther then that, and I am probably just as fast and more accurate with my BLR and Scope.

So, lets get real, I don't carry ironsighted rifles for hunting, because I think they are best, I carry them because I love to carry a scopeless leveraction, at times, just for the sheer pleasure of it. For the handiness, and for the nastalgia of it, for the pleasure I receive from maybe taking a step back in time, to when an ironsighted leveraction really was about the best choice going. And it's still a good choice, maybe even the best choice at times. But then who says we have to always make the best choice anyway. Hunt with what you want to, know the limitations of your choice and hunt within them.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well lastmo, on the handiness issue, I have carried scoped bolts for the most part so any lever seems handy. I'll have to try your way and pick the spots I hunt. Thing is out here it can be close or far. I agree with you on the rain etc
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

old savage,

you got that mostly right .... it ain't because I can see the target better, it's because I can see the target at all !!

I put your wise advice to use this past Thursday out near China Lake during a day's shooting .....

Cheers,

Carl
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

New Pig, what did you do at China Lake - had one day of hunting up there where we got Chukar, Quail, and duck in the same day. Glad to see you made the leap over,

Actually for me:

unscoped, .22, 357, 45 Colt, 30-30, 444 - pretty much covers the range.

scoped, 25-35, .243, .250, .300 Sav, .308, 30-30, 35 Rem, 375, 45-70 - pretty much covers that range.

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Old Savage,

I was adjacent to Freemont Peak, there's a nice area to do some target shooting, nice and quiet, with a safe downrange area.

Cheers,

Carl
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I'll look up Fremont peak.

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

find Kramer Junction (intersection of Hwy's 58 & 395).
from Kramer Junction: go 13.4 miles north along 395.
turn east, go 7.5 miles on the dirt road.
thereabouts is Freemont Peak.

Cheers,

Carl
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

History shows us that....since the age of gunpowder this world has been ruled with iron sights. We live in interesting times.
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

PaperPatch wrote:History shows us that....since the age of gunpowder this world has been ruled with iron sights. We live in interesting times.
Hmmmm, then I wonder what that thing is sitting atop of the weapons used by US forces is, iron sight in a tube?
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

win40-82 wrote:
PaperPatch wrote:History shows us that....since the age of gunpowder this world has been ruled with iron sights. We live in interesting times.
Hmmmm, then I wonder what that thing is sitting atop of the weapons used by US forces is, iron sight in a tube?

Relax....I've got more scopes than you do.