Rear sight...9422?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Rear sight...9422?

Post by Nath »

Folks, hope your all ok friends.

My eyes are struggling with the short sight radius on my 9422 trapper, the front bead is blurring some. Some days worse than others. The 94 357 is longer so not so bad....yet!

Anyway I have removed the peep, don't have the cash for a tang sight, don't want to fit a scope (but will if......)and so want to try the standard rear again. The thinking is to try and line it all up and then focus in on the target!
I don't want gadgets on my glasses in the field, I hunt etc.

The question is, the dang rear sight can move right or left on the elevator wedge! Just a little and it is unacceptable to me! How do I fix it before my OCD kicks in :lol:

Nath
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rear sight...9422?

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sorry Nath but I really like tang sights, longer sight radius, sharpens the focus on the front sight. I have several of the Marbles and one Lyman which is cheaper but no windage adjustment. Still like it though. I prefer a Patridge type front sight, flat topped post or better yet the old Sourdough with the 45 degree face and gold insert. It just shines before sunrise and right after sunset. I use them on levers from 45-90 to 32-20 and leave the standard barrel sight on and use it for close shots but can flip up the tang and have it regulated for a longer distance when needed. I'm 74 and the close focus went away for me 35 years ago. Scopes are the surest cure but they make a trim levergun seem clumsy to handle. I do use the scopes on my BLRs but am thinking of putting a receiver sight on one just so it will be easier to handle and I can use it in the rain.
Sounds like the elevator on your back sight may be too thin for the slot it's in.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

M. M. Wright wrote:Sorry Nath but I really like tang sights, longer sight radius, sharpens the focus on the front sight. I have several of the Marbles and one Lyman which is cheaper but no windage adjustment. Still like it though. I prefer a Patridge type front sight, flat topped post or better yet the old Sourdough with the 45 degree face and gold insert. It just shines before sunrise and right after sunset. I use them on levers from 45-90 to 32-20 and leave the standard barrel sight on and use it for close shots but can flip up the tang and have it regulated for a longer distance when needed. I'm 74 and the close focus went away for me 35 years ago. Scopes are the surest cure but they make a trim levergun seem clumsy to handle. I do use the scopes on my BLRs but am thinking of putting a receiver sight on one just so it will be easier to handle and I can use it in the rain.
Sounds like the elevator on your back sight may be too thin for the slot it's in.
Yes I like tangs but they are expensive here!
The wedge is snug in the rear sight, it just can be pushed one way or the other and stay put!
I will test it (eye wise ) and if ok get a Lyman folding leaf!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I scoped my little 527 last night. First scoped gun in at least 30 years. My 9422 is next to deal with. I'm either going to drill and tap for a Lyman receiver, own it already, or scope it. After resisting scopes for years I have decided to scope it I think. Scoping such a nice leveraction seems so disrespectfulof the rifle and its heritage but not shooting it accurately is worse.

I can't speak to the elevator problem but I checked a couple of my rifles and if I try they do wobble a bit but seem quite stable without outside pressure. Some folks have reversed their barrel sight so the blade is farther forward. . It looks a bit silly but moving the sight forward makes a lot of difference. I learned this on my Weihrauch pellet rifle. The sight sits forward on the breechblock and is useable for my eyes. The barrel sight on my 9422 is useless for me. I can keep the front sight and targets in fairly good focus however.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nath - Y not put the peep sight back on, but replace the front with a fiber-optic bead of the same height ?

I went to FO front sights many years ago - and now all my sighted rifles have them.

Like bead front sights, FO's are available in the same 1/16" (fine) or 3/32" (cioarse) sizes - but also in several different colors (red, green, yellow, orange, etc) to accommodate various folk's color perception.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Nath - Y not put the peep sight back on, but replace the front with a fiber-optic bead of the same height ?

I went to FO front sights many years ago - and now all my sighted rifles have them.

Like bead front sights, FO's are available in the same 1/16" (fine) or 3/32" (cioarse) sizes - but also in several different colors (red, green, yellow, orange, etc) to accommodate various folk's color perception.

It won't help! The short trapper means the front is too close! It blurrs the moment I focus on the target and so would a glowing fiber optic, I am trying to resist trading!
Maybe a finer front would when blurred be a finer blurred thing :lol:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Hate to say it, but if that front sight is blurry when using a receiver mounted peep, odds are it's time for a scope. A tang mounted peep MIGHT help and, then again, it might not. Only so much a peep can do for us folks with old eyes. Going back to the factory open sights, though, is likely to make things worse, not better.

I've been fighting the battle for years and I feel your pain. I love iron sights, especially peep sights, but some of my lever guns now wear a scope for the sake of practicality. Some, though, I refuse to scope even though my shooting takes a big hit because of it. On a 9422, a trim rimfire scope like a Leupold or Weaver isn't all that bad in terms of overwhelming the gun at least. Have to say, a small red dot will also make a nice match on a 9422 and solve the focus issue, but I just can't abide electronics on my lever guns. Anyway, best of luck. I know what you're up against.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

North Country Gal wrote:Hate to say it, but if that front sight is blurry when using a receiver mounted peep, odds are it's time for a scope. A tang mounted peep MIGHT help and, then again, it might not. Only so much a peep can do for us folks with old eyes. Going back to the factory open sights, though, is likely to make things worse, not better.

I've been fighting the battle for years and I feel your pain. I love iron sights, especially peep sights, but some of my lever guns now wear a scope for the sake of practicality. Some, though, I refuse to scope even though my shooting takes a big hit because of it. On a 9422, a trim rimfire scope like a Leupold or Weaver isn't all that bad in terms of overwhelming the gun at least. Have to say, a small red dot will also make a nice match on a 9422 and solve the focus issue, but I just can't abide electronics on my lever guns. Anyway, best of luck. I know what you're up against.
Thankyou....we will see :D

I will endeavor.....

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

There may be hope!

The replacement Lyman front sight with an ivory bead I cut the bead off! Now there is a real tiny white bead! It is looking, pending field test, there is alot less to get fuzzy!

So fingers crossed it may be an improvement!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Patiently awaiting a full report with pictures... :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

UPDATE;
The front sight (a Lyman) with the bead chopped off is much better :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It looks like you've converted 3/32" (coarse) bead to a 1/16" (fine) bead - it looks like yer good to go ~

Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

.[/quote]
It won't help! The short trapper means the front is too close! It blurrs the moment I focus on the target and so would a glowing fiber optic, I am trying to resist trading!

N.[/quote]

Do what the pistol shooters do...don't focus on the target, focus on the front sight.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Washita wrote:.

N.[/quote]

Do what the pistol shooters do...don't focus on the target, focus on the front sight.[/quote]

Yeah but then the brown rabbit in the brown grass disapears and that then makes for a pointless situation :|

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nath wrote:
Yeah but then the brown rabbit in the brown grass disapears and that then makes for a pointless situation :|

N.

FWIW, that used to occur, with me, on deer................

The cure that worked for me (YMMV) was a fibre-optic front sight bead, which allowed me to forcus on the game (deer), yet still make me aware of the front sight.

It doesn't matter, to me, whether the FO bead's in focus or not - since it's bright enough to overcome my eyesight deficiencies.

An individual might have to experiment, as to whether a 1/16" (fine) or a 3/32" (coarse) FO bead is best for their own particular eyesight/situation.

(I use the 1/16" (fine) size, with NP.)