savage 99e trigger pull

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
30hrrtt
Levergunner

savage 99e trigger pull

Post by 30hrrtt »

I have a Savage 99E in 308 that I really like. I have a Bushnell 1 x 4 with circle recticle on it and I can follow a rabbit running in the woods with it. It has become my favorite woods gun. Took a nice ten pointer with it this last year.

I would really like to do something with the trigger though. It has quite a bit of movement and is pretty heavy.

Is there something I can do EASILY or something a smith could do to make it better?
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

One of my Savages likewise had a very heavy trigger. If you pull the rear stock off...you can easily see how the surfaces of trigger and bolt engage with one another.

The correction then involves reducing the amount of surface area of engaging surfaces.

Let a gunsmith do this.

Even still.....upon completion of the work, and before leaving the gunsmith, check to ensure that; when sliding the safety off the gun will NOT fire. Do it several times.

Mine did this....because the trigger was so wonderfully light and crisp.

We corrected this...and its still a great, and SAFE trigger for hunting purposes.

Good luck with your Savage!!!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I just checked my 99C . It has zero trigger movement and no creep at all and around a 4 1/2 pound trigger.

I've never had one apart. But mine has no trigger creep or movement at all when cocked. So I don't know if you have a weak trigger spring.

Sorry not much help.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've got a 1970 Model 99E in .308,which I have written about some here. I won't bore the membership with a re-hash but if you want to read it click the blog link in my Sig line. I had another one in the 80's, that I got dirt cheap because it needed a stock. Neither of them had what I would classify as 'good' triggers and I am not someone who has to have a 2# trigger to to shoot a rifle. I can shoot a 5.5# pull just fine but 'creep' is a nuisance and was/is present in both 99's I have owned.

Some 99's have it and as mentioned above, some don't. When it occurs it is caused by a combination of excessive sear/striker engagement, and/or corrosion present on relevant contact surfaces. The individual rifles' trigger and striker springs will of course effect the pull weight.

I am just beginning to explore the 99's trigger/sear engagement idiosyncrasies so I am not about to make recommendations on modifications. My best advice is to remove the stock and examine the sear/striker contact surfaces. If they aren't corroded, clean them well, apply some heavy oil and try the trigger again. If corrosion is present remove it with th finest stone you have, taking great care to remove no metal and change no engagement angles. Or better yet- just take it to a gunsmith.

Anyone fiddling around the insides of old, 'out-of-print' firearms should always remember that if parts are ruined- they can be difficult or impossible to replace. This is doubly frustrating if you screw up a nice gun, that worked in the first place, trying to 'perfect' it. Or so I am told...;)

An excellent source of good photos ,of Savage 99 parts over the years, is located at http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... Post395008

If you are a 99 buff it is well worth your effort to register and participate at

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /40/page/1

I hope this is of some help. Enjoy your 99C.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.