Lever addiction

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Lever addiction

Post by Goat »

I really do not know how this all began. It seems like such a short time ago that my favorite show was "Gunsmoke" and I wanted to be Matt Dillon. My early memories confirm a love of firearms because I always wore a cap pistol or was busy making my own wooden guns. Then I graduated to the "soldier" phase and all my guns needed to be full auto. Along comes deer hunting in the deep south and shotguns with buckshot and "big" rifles steal my attentions. I remember checking every book out of the local library that was about hunting or guns. Then one summer I cut grass for the whole season to buy my first deer rifle. Gunsmoke was forgotten and I thought that the 30/06 would do until I could get something "bigger and more powerful." Then, about three years later I found a Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum. I guess that was when the trouble really began. It was followed by other 1894s and a 336 in 35 Remington a couple of BLRs and more 1894s. Now it seems that I am not so concerned about "bigger and more powerful," but what works and feels good in my hands. Yes, I own a stainless steel synthetic stocked rifle that I have killed a lot of deer with -and have made memories with to boot -but any more the lever guns see most of the action when I head to the woods of Louisiana. It may be to hunt or just to be in God's Creation but the lever-action has stolen my heart. I am a blessed man with several levers to my name so why is it that they just keep on calling for me to get more? It really looks as if my first "customised" gun is going to be my 1894 .41 magnum that turns into a trapper length gun. Is ther any hope for me once I start down the slippery path of "lever-itis?"
Goat
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Goat,
There's no cure! I watched "Gunsmoke" and "Have Gun Will Travel",etc. and started out with a Pre-64 Model 94 Carbine. I worked on a cattle ranch and always packed my 30-30. My next lever was a gift from my Father, a 1970 Belgium BLR .243 when I came home on leave from the Corps.....and then he gave me his Belgium BLR .308 so I would have a matched set... and then I fell in love with the Model 71's..... and then I picked up a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70/457WW Mag. I keep telling myself I have enough rifles, but there's always that fella on my left shoulder telling me to get another. I may have to go get some counseling/treatment soon... :) I feel your pain Brother!
Last edited by Jarhead on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fi
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Why would anyone want a cure? :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Get used to it and accept the fact. I've had this disease since I was about 6. (47 years ago) It gets much worse as you no longer are satisfied with $500 guns. If it don't cost 2 or 3 K, its not worth lookin' at. Broke all the time. Drive old Jeeps. Same clothes year in and out. No vacations. (except huntin') -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's funny. I never watched "westerns", preferring the Japanese originals. :wink:

My folks aren't "gun people" so I never hat one of my own at home.

I did have a Bolt .22 issued to me in HS, but always considered it a target gun (well, it is...)

To me, "hunting rifle" has always meant "Lever" or Break Action - so that's all I've ever wanted to carry in the woods.

So the first gun I ever carried into the woods was a Savage 99E in .308.

Why change now? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Like everybody else said, there is no cure. And in fact, it can sometimes get worse. As a kid, I have always owned guns but mostly mausers because I couldn't afford a winchester. I used to earn money by mowing lawns and raking leaves for a dollar a day or job. When I went into the Army, that was the most money I have ever earned so the guns became more expensive. But finally, when I became a teacher, would you believe that I would buy a pre-64 winchester or 2 every payday. My excuse was that I needed an investment in case of an emergency. :twisted:

Only thing is that I would rather sell all of my bolt guns over a levergun.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, the disease struck me again today. I haven't had time to take pictures, but I will. This site simple excelerates the effects of the disease. :shock:
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

3 Win. 94's in 30-30
1 Win. 94BB in 444
1 Win. 94BB in 375
1 Win. 94 in 357
1 Win 94 in 44 Mag
1 336 in 30-30
3 336 in 35 Rem.
1 336 in 375
1 1895 in 45/70
1 Interarms Model 53 in 44 Mag
1 Puma in 454

Thats 16...help......
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Buckeye wrote:3 Win. 94's in 30-30
1 Win. 94BB in 444
1 Win. 94BB in 375
1 Win. 94 in 357
1 Win 94 in 44 Mag
1 336 in 30-30
3 336 in 35 Rem.
1 336 in 375
1 1895 in 45/70
1 Interarms Model 53 in 44 Mag
1 Puma in 454

Thats 16...help......
Dial 911 LEVER! :D
Semper Fi
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lever addiction

Post by claybob86 »

Goat wrote:I really do not know how this all began. It seems like such a short time ago that my favorite show was "Gunsmoke" and I wanted to be Matt Dillon. My early memories confirm a love of firearms because I always wore a cap pistol or was busy making my own wooden guns. Then I graduated to the "soldier" phase and all my guns needed to be full auto. Along comes deer hunting in the deep south and shotguns with buckshot and "big" rifles steal my attentions. I remember checking every book out of the local library that was about hunting or guns. Then one summer I cut grass for the whole season to buy my first deer rifle. Gunsmoke was forgotten and I thought that the 30/06 would do until I could get something "bigger and more powerful." Then, about three years later I found a Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum. I guess that was when the trouble really began. It was followed by other 1894s and a 336 in 35 Remington a couple of BLRs and more 1894s. Now it seems that I am not so concerned about "bigger and more powerful," but what works and feels good in my hands. Yes, I own a stainless steel synthetic stocked rifle that I have killed a lot of deer with -and have made memories with to boot -but any more the lever guns see most of the action when I head to the woods of Louisiana. It may be to hunt or just to be in God's Creation but the lever-action has stolen my heart. I am a blessed man with several levers to my name so why is it that they just keep on calling for me to get more? It really looks as if my first "customised" gun is going to be my 1894 .41 magnum that turns into a trapper length gun. Is ther any hope for me once I start down the slippery path of "lever-itis?"
Goat
You're sunk. Accept it. Get used to it. It's a disease many of us just have to live with. That's why we have this support group here. :oops:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

I had a couple cals. for years, 30-30 & 22, then decided maybe I'd like a 45, thats when I found Leverguns.
I felt 3 or four levers would be enough.

These guys showed me the error of my ways. :shock:

I now have 13 :roll: :roll:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

When i was 12 years old I got to try my Uncles Model 1892 Winchester in 32-20. Loved it. Now have 40 lever guns and still going.
It's not a disease - it's a way of life.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sounds normal, to me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I wonder if any drug company is working on a "pill", that when you're about to go in the gun store you quick pop the pill, then the urge to go spend on a gun leaves you. But imagine the side affects later when the pill wore off, you would need 2 new levers to balance things out.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Why would anyone want a cure? :D
+1 :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Pete44ru wrote:Sounds normal, to me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
+1 :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

As you know this is a support group for those who are leverholics. In light of that...

What leverguns do you not yet have? I'm sure we can find a good one for a good price for you... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Sorry pardner, you haven't hit rock bottom yet. As people have told you, there is no cure either. Hope your family can deal with it.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Resistance is futile...

:wink:
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

This is not a support group ,we're all enablers here. There is no 12 step program to "cure" this addiction. :lol:
An enabler in most definitions is a person who through his or her actions allows someone else to achieve something
The term enabler is also part of the larger definition of codependency.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

nemhed wrote:This is not a support group ,we're all enablers here. There is no 12 step program to "cure" this addiction. :lol:
An enabler in most definitions is a person who through his or her actions allows someone else to achieve something
Well Hands off!Just back away from the Levergun! :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I don't have a problem! I can stop anytime I want! It's no big deal, everyone on leverguns.com is doing it! Leave me alone, don't touch my guns! ( Sounds of sobbing in the background)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

nemhed wrote:This is not a support group ,we're all enablers here. There is no 12 step program to "cure" this addiction. :lol:
enablers! Ha!!!! :D Thats what it is, we are enablers to each other so we don't feel guilty when spending a thou. for a nice gun just to look at or occasionally shoot instead of that transmission the WIFE'S car needs! Not our car! oh no sir! That car or Jeep or truck needs to transport us to the next gunshow, huntin' spot, or gunclub. I think I know why we are called "chovenistic pigs" (or how ever you spell that stupid word) :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Enablers is right! I only had 2 lever guns and a lot more money when I found this place and y'all kept posting pictures of all your lever guns and I'm weak and easily influenced. :cry:
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Yeah, that's right, two weeks ago I picked up a Ruger Blackhawk. I didn't even know I needed a sixgun to go with my leverguns until I got on this forum :shock: :? :lol: .
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I love getting on this forum so I can see what REAL LEVER ADDICTS are like. With my very small problem I can come here and feel better that "at least i'm not that bad" :lol: Really though, I hope there is no cure cause I got a FEW more to get. Some one once said to Nelson Rockafeller "How much money is enough" Nelson said "Just one more dollar" To that i say "Just one more Levergun" :lol: :lol: