POLITICS - I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

POLITICS - I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry

Post by Old Ironsights »

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4545561&page=1

Is That a Gun in Your Wastebasket, or Are You Just Happy to See Me?
DEA Agents Lose Their Weapons Faster Than Ever, According to a New DOJ Report

March 28, 2008

How do Drug Enforcement Administration special agents lose their guns?

Faster than ever, according to a new report from the Department of Justice inspector general. From 2002 to 2007, DEA lost 91 weapons, the audit found. The DEA isn't always reporting the losses of weapons or laptop computers to the proper authorities, and when it does, it often comes weeks -- even years -- after the fact.

Gun, Computer Losses Plague DEABut just how do the guns disappear? Let us count the ways.

"Special agent left weapon on roof of car and drove off," reads one incident description. In his report released today, Inspector General Glenn A. Fine included descriptions of how each weapon was said to have been lost.

"May have fallen into trash basket at work," read another. "Left weapon in supermarket." "Left weapon on airplane." One report sounded like it was filed by an agent on Larry Craig patrol, "Left weapon in airport restroom."

The thieves were often brazen. "Stolen from hotel room -- Special Agent out on balcony," one report stated. "Weapon stolen [from] purse while at social function at bar in Jamaica." "It was believed a carpet installer stole it." At least once, the alleged culprit was a family member, "Weapon stolen by Special Agent's son."

But the most common incident, by far, were guns stolen from agents' official or personal vehicles while they were otherwise engaged -- despite DEA regulations which prohibit leaving weapons unattended in autos.

"Stolen from an official government vehicle parked at restaurant while Special Agent had lunch." "Stolen from official government vehicle while agent was exercising." Stolen "while agent was shopping," from a car parked "at a summer rental house," "from official government vehicle parked at convenience store while Special Agent was buying coffee." One was even reportedly stolen from an agent's car while he was at a middle school football game.

Asked about the reported losses, DEA spokesman Garrison Courtney said the investigations would have been handled by DEA itself. "Any of those instances would be referred to our internal investigating arm," Courtney said. "We would take the appropriate actions to make sure the agents are educated on how to handle their weapons appropriately."

The inspector general rapped the DEA for losing guns at more than twice the rate his office found in 2002 and for failing to report many of the losses quickly or to the right authorities, just as auditors noted in their 2002 report.

The DEA also loses laptop computers, Fine's auditors found, though they had cut the rate of lost laptops in half since 2002.

--------------------------------------------------------

And they think CCWs are irresponsible with their guns?

Meh. This is why I NEVER take off my CCW unless there is a metal detector. Concealed means concealed... and unlikely to be "lost" or stolen.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I have a sore neck now from shaking my head throughout the reading of that.

Seems the "war on drugs" can't stop drugs but certainly can put illegal weapons
into society.

With all the registration hounds and others who LOVE to put serial numbers on
things. It would be a real treat to have EVERY WEAPON used by authorities
marked deeply on the receiver the organization (DEA,FBI) by the manufacturers by law. The taxpayers have a right to know where the equipment
we buy ends up.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jeeps wrote:...With all the registration hounds and others who LOVE to put serial numbers on things. It would be a real treat to have EVERY WEAPON used by authorities marked deeply on the receiver the organization (DEA,FBI) by the manufacturers by law. The taxpayers have a right to know where the equipment we buy ends up.
What? And hold the GOvernment responsible for the use of guns stolen from them?

Why, that would be absurd. We only write laws like that for "civilians". :roll:

(No, I'm not advocating it. CRIMINALS are responsible for the theft ans subsequest illigitimate use. The person who "lost" an unsecured gun is only terminally irresponsible, not culpable.)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Why should the DEA agents have guns, or even have jobs...?

The DEA mostly exists to provide 'price support' for drug dealers. All they do is encourage a violent sub-culture of dealers providing substances to not-very-bright people who STILL GET THE DRUGS ANYWAY. So the only net effect is higher prices, poorer druggies, more crime, more families torn apart, plus an infrastructure of regulations and court cases establishing that the federal government can literally do ANYTHING as long as it's 'for a good cause.'

But those of us who don't personally use drugs get the warm fuzzies and sense of superiority that we're 'controlling' the problem, by locking up those who lack our superior judgement.

I wonder how many of the non-drinkers on our society would have been gung-ho for alcohol prohibition, despite the organized crime it furthered?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Jeeps wrote:...With all the registration hounds and others who LOVE to put serial numbers on things. It would be a real treat to have EVERY WEAPON used by authorities marked deeply on the receiver the organization (DEA,FBI) by the manufacturers by law. The taxpayers have a right to know where the equipment we buy ends up.
What? And hold the GOvernment responsible for the use of guns stolen from them?

Why, that would be absurd. We only write laws like that for "civilians". :roll:

(No, I'm not advocating it. CRIMINALS are responsible for the theft ans subsequest illigitimate use. The person who "lost" an unsecured gun is only terminally irresponsible, not culpable.)
They are OUR guns bought and paid for. :wink:

We are supposed to regulate the govt. not the other way around like they
keep trying to do, and get away with often.

Ya gotta admit, its quite the ironic subject from the start. Govt. not wanting
to take responsibility for their mistakes the way they wish to make us responsible
for ours.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Seattle Chief of Police had his stolen when he left it unattended on the front seat of his off duty vechicle.....Get this, had to take it off to go into a resturant that didnt' allow carry......Morons......I can't stand it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I think more of it happens then you will ever hear about. Now I know it sounds impossible to some of you that hasnt carried on the job because if you pack a gun just once in a great while you are more obvisely aware of the novelty of it or whatever. I wore a gun over 35 years on my various unromantic jobs. Once someone found a revolver of a coworker of mine where he hung it up in a restroom and turned it in to our chief!
Another time they had a investigation looking for a lost gun that a captain had picked up from a post to take to another area. I think I know what happened, I belive he forgot to take the gun out of the car, and the next day the car was taken in to the upholstery shop for new seat covers. (I checked on my own) Not many are going to admit to this stuff, but how many times have you guys misplaced your wallet in the last 40 years? A lot of this stuff happened when we worked 80 hours a week. Once after pulling a double shift I found myself driveing home in my patrol car, had to go back and get my truck!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have carried a gun almost daily for the last 19 years... sometimes "professionally" and Open, most of the time concealed.

It's not a novelty to me.

I have NEVER misplaced my sidearm. For that matter, because my Permit is in it, I have NEVER mispalced my wallet. The two items are always together.

It's mindboggling to me that anyone can treat a firearm so casually as to just "leave it on the roof of the car" like a Latte. :?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mtnfolk75
Levergunner

Post by Mtnfolk75 »

OI,
I agree 100 %. I have carried daily since 1978 and have never misplaced my pistol or wallet. When I retired from doing the " Protect and Serve " gig in 2001, we were starting to call the new guys the " Pepsi Generation ". They were in it for the money only and to them it was an 8-5 job. Sad state of affairs for sure.
Dusty (Mtnfolk75)
Retired CA LEO / NRA Lifer

" Where my friend Roscoe is not welcome ..., neither am I ... "
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

In CT your culpable if your gun gets stolen & used in a crime "After a reasonable person would have reported it stolen" Theoretically to stop straw purchasers. Straw purchasers who now have a legal protection. Buy a dozen guns, sell them on the street & report them stolen. Your covered. Nice of the state to protect gun trafficking eh?
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Remember that video of the DEA agent shooting himself during a safety presentation to kids?

What's next?
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Texican wrote:Remember that video of the DEA agent shooting himself during a safety presentation to kids?

What's next?
Scary,real Scary :evil: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."