KirkD how did you weather the ice storm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

KirkD how did you weather the ice storm

Post by samb »

Kirk,
How did you weather the ice storm? I saw the pictures looked like Western Toronto between downtown and the airport was dark last night. How where things up your way? Have safe drive if your still headed to NY.
Sam
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Re: KirkD how did you weather the ice storm

Post by pdentrem »

I don't know how he did, but we, in the lower section of the Niagara Peninsula got only a light coating. As you moved north it got worst until one got closer to Owen Sound. It was snow there mostly.
My sister flew out of Buffalo NY, after the funeral for Mom, on Sunday, it was already changed to rain by 8am.
Maybe Rob Ford will apologize for the weather as well!
Pierre
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hope it wasn't too bad up there Kirk. We got it pretty good here. What a mess.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

OldWin,
Hope things get back to normal for Maine soon. It was quite rough in the area's hardest hit. Stay warm and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you sir. Its not too bad. It doesn't have the effect here that it does in some places. We didn't even lose our power but I know others did. We had one in 98 that was incredible. You could drive a fullsize truck on 3ft. of snow and not even break through. Some went weeks without power.

You and yours have a great Christmas also!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

We had a lot of ice where we live and lost power for about 40 hours. No problem, we just enjoyed camping out. It was a lot more luxurious than remote wilderness camping, so I suppose you could say we lived in luxury .... in a camping sort of way. About every 45 seconds to a minute, you could hear a gigantic crack as some tree down in the valley gave up trying to hold its burden of ice. I hate to see the trees take a beating like this, but there isn't much a fellow can do.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

We got nailed really good on Monday. Power came back on yesterday evening just in time for our Christmas dinner. Still have friends around the area without power until tomorrow. I have friends on the cost "Down East" won't get power back on until next week :( . This is the worst I've seen it since 98.

Mainehunter :wink:
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Good news! Figured you would hunker down and stay warm.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Our power just came back after five days!!
Will try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Bit like a war zone!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Had soup and beans for Christmas dinner, good though!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Was thinking how many woodstoves are fired up around Toronto. I have been watching the news looks pretty rough. Glad to hear yah made the best of it.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommuni ... dians.html

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommuni ... hotos.html
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Kirk, Borregos,

Glad you guys made out ok. I know it's a pain to deal with but if your with your family and suffer no big damage it's all good. Gives you something to talk about and keeps Christmas this year from blending in with the others.

Mainehunter,

Glad the lights are back on at your place. Hope Old No. 7 is ok too. We got a fair amount of ice but it seems like it's been snowing ever since. Glad cause the crust trashed the snowshoeing haha. We didn't lose power here in but it seems we're always lucky like that. I never lost it in 98 and that was the worst I've ever seen.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thank you OldWin.
It sure was different not having all the kids here and having a Christmas Dinner of soup and beans!! :D
Pete