New Custom Mould for the 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

New Custom Mould for the 45-70

Post by KirkD »

Having been frustrated in the past after purchasing moulds that dropped the bullets too small, or had other problems, I now get all my moulds from Accuracy Molds, where I can stipulate what diameter I want to size my bullets to. I especially had a frustrating experience finding a 500 grain mould with a large enough diameter to use in an original Springfield 45-70 as well as in an original Winchester 1886 45-70. I found a mold offered by Accuracy Molds and then emailed Tom to see if he could make a change or two such that the O.A.L. would be just shy of the 45-90 and feed through my original Model 1886 (I wanted the bullet to sit as far out of the case as possible to keep the internal peak pressure spike down to closer to original BP pressures). He emailed me back with a modified design 46-500F and I ordered it. I have been extremely pleased with his brass moulds and got this one in brass as well. Just in case anyone else is looking for a nice 500 grain plain base bullet that will feed through an original Winchester 1886 45-70 and also be useful in an original Springfield, here it is. The forward driving band just forward of the crimping groove is for those like myself that load smokeless. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 500F-D.png
Last edited by KirkD on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Custom Mould for the 45-70

Post by Chas. »

I'm confused - is that a .45-70 mold? It says 112gr cast in wheel weight alloy.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

112 gr. Must be .32 cal ??? :? :? :?

OH! I see, KirkD has two posts, he must have posted the wrong picture on this one.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think he posted same link to his 32-20 new mould. Sure he will be along and correct this.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I "had" a 550 grain GC mold that I got from BallistiCast a few years back and recently traded or sold off .The 550 grainer I had worked nicely in a circa 1972 Marlin "New Model 1895" . Was usually capable of three shots in 1 1/2" at 100 yards from the bench .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !