Favorite gun quotes (long)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Favorite gun quotes (long)

Post by alnitak »

After seeing ScottT's thread, and the question on whether Steinbeck actually said those quotes attributed to him, and reading people's signature lines for a few years, I thought this might be a worthwhile thread.

Here are some gun quotes I've put together. I've tried to stay away from just political quotes, although I let some slip by if I thought they were particularly relevant to guns. I also did not (knowingly) include quotes from movie characters, as I figured that was a whole 'nother thread (there are just so many good ones, from John Wayne, to Clint Eastwood, to Han Solo, etc.).

The primary focus is on political, literary and historical figues, and their support for gun ownership. I've tried to keep standard adages and Anonymous quotes out, though there are a few (looking for help to identify some of the unkowns).

What others do I need to add to my library?

Gun Quotes

“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." --Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

“If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws.â€
Last edited by alnitak on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 am, edited 16 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

A good bunch from Jeff Cooper in there. Nice ... love the older ones from the time of our nation's birth.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

GREAT POST.....
how am I gonna remember all that!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This should be a sticky!!! :D
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Copied and pasted to Word - 9 pages.....

Thanks
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Harry Callahan :lol: :wink:
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

A government that does not trust its people to be armed is a government not to be trusted - author unknown
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Great truths, quotes and comments. Thanks for posting !!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

Excellent post!

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Excellent post
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Great Post!!! saved for future use and reference :D
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Great stuff! Very inspiring, thanks for the post! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Excelent post. That should be manditory reading for the elected morons.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Thanks all. I added some new ones (and deleted the unconfirmed Hitler quote), with more from the founding fathers, throughout the original post.

Let me know what others I need to add.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Very good ones in there.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Excellent post.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I WILL...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. WE WILL...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY LIFE.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

USMC Rifle Creed
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"There are things that gnaw at a man worst than dying".
Charlie in Broken Trail
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

"DYING AIN'T MUCH OF A LIVING"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

+1 to meanc
that always gives me goose bumps.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Terrific post!

There are some real gems in there.

I'm sure it took awhile to put it together, and you
have my thanks and admiration.

May I add one attributable to Chairman Mao?

"Diplomacy ends at the barrel of a gun."
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Thanks all; made most of the additions you suggested. I'll save the movie quotes for another thread...too many good ones!

I've heard the tactics quote before...who said it? Weren't there a couple more like that from the same person?
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Have we been told for so long that violence isn't the answer to everything that we now believe it's the answer to nothing? - Unknown

Some of my faves from Ayn Rand

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. - Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), Source: Dr. Floyd Ferris, in Atlas Shrugged, 1957

A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims. - Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), Source: 1963

So long as men desire to live together, no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. . . . When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him by force. It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own. - Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982)

(not gun related but good none the less)

It is said that [Robin Hood] fought against the looting rulers and returned the loot to those who had been robbed, but that is not the meaning of the legend which has survived. He is remembered, not as a champion of property, but as a champion of need, not as a defender of the robbed, but as a provider of the poor. He is held to be the first man who assumed a halo of virtue by practicing charity with wealth which he did not own, by giving away goods which he had not produced, by making others pay for the luxury of his pity. He is the man who became the symbol of the idea that need, not achievement, is the source of rights, that we don't have to produce, only to want, that the earned does not belong to us, but the unearned does. He became a justification for every mediocrity who, unable to make his own living, had demanded the power to dispose of the property of his betters, by proclaiming his willingness to devote his life to his inferiors at the price of robbing his superiors. - Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), Source: (Atlas 534)

Absolutely right! I would underscore that Robin Hood didn't steal from the rich and give to the poor, he returned to the people what the government had no right to take
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I WILL...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. WE WILL...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY LIFE.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!" -- USMC Rifle Creed

Semper Fi
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Thanks Ohwin94. I added the rifle creed after Meanc suggested it.

No more quotes to add (can't believe I have them all)?