Ain't nothing fancy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Ain't nothing fancy

Post by TedH »

Nope, it's not new or fancy. It's not the latest rip roaring self defense caliber, and it's only got 5 shots on board. But for some reason, I have found myself carrying this recently acquired Taurus 38 Special for my CCW. I traded into it from a friend at work, with the intention of giving it to my wife. I shot it a few times and liked how easy it carried and how well I could shoot it. Now it's in my pocket or on my hip every day while my other carry guns, G36 and a PPK stay home. Not sure why I like this little gun so much? But I don't feel under armed with just 5 rounds of +P 158 gr. SWC, maybe I should?
20131213_200739.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ain't nothing fancy

Post by Blaine »

Nope....IMO, you're in good shape....I like those.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

BlaineG wrote:Nope....IMO, you're in good shape....I like those.
+1.... yep

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For almost 20 years I carried a .38Spl with a 158gr JSP or JHP and never felt undergunned. It's a capable cartridge if the user does their job. And a light wheelgun that you carry beats the heck out of a bunch of alternatives... :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

TedH--you did good with your choice...I have carried S&W 649, 638's, 642, and recently Ruger LCR's in .38spl. for a very long time as my BUG or EDC...but as much as I like the snub 5-shot 38spl, I have switched over to my Baby Glock 27 (.40s&w) or Glock 26 (9mm) exclusively...

this change is due mostly to the LE Agency that I serve, the real-world effectiveness that I have personally witnessed with the .40s&w, and that many attacks seem to come from 2-3 individuals (at least in my part of the world)--as I stated I really like the 5-shot snub, but I like the idea of having 9 or 11 shots...just my lousy back-east cranky opinion... :)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That's the same Gun My I picked up for the Wife to take The CCW class with. I used My Mom's old Charter arms .38. didn't take long for the Wife after watching people fumble with clips and not being able to work the semi auto's to appreciate the revolver.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

If we could carry I would be happy with that :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

excellent for social work!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice gun Ted, I almost bought a Taurus 38 recently but a buddy got a good deal on a hammerless Charter arms Off Duty and I bought it instead. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had a Stainless Taurus 85 with the hammer bobbed that I carried for my CCW. I never felt it was a handicap. My oldest daughter took a liking to it, so once she graduated college and got a place of her own, she asked if she could have it. I guess that is how a dad knows he raised his girls right when they ask for a gun.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've had lots of options over the years, but keep coming back to a Charter Arms Bulldog, which is nearly the same gun; 5 shot snubbie, only in 44 Special. I put a pair of Crimson Trace grips on it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

AJMD429 wrote:I've had lots of options over the years, but keep coming back to a Charter Arms Bulldog, which is nearly the same gun; 5 shot snubbie, only in 44 Special. I put a pair of Crimson Trace grips on it.
Several of us had those old model 44`s and loved them, but sold them years ago, great guns and accurate wish I still had it.
Light yet powerful. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, good to hear that. I've been hearing for so long, how my Taurus 85 is barely better than a sharp stick (it's not a wonder nine or a miraculous 40). I liked mine when I got it 15 years ago and still like it...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I mostly carry a wheel gun, Colt Agent, (Dick special with aluminum frame), bobbed hammer, Tyler T grip adapter. For some reason I feel more comfortable with that 6th shot. I use a 125 grain XTP +P. It has a very good record in past recorded shootings.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

If Ted don`t mind here`s my Off Duty Charter, it has a aluminum frame and is light.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like that Pitchy.

That's the only thing I could change on my gun would be to have a bobbed hammer, but really it hasn't been an issue as it is, so far.
NRA Life Member
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

This is the first hammerless gun I`ve had and it seems to be good if carrying in a tight pocket, otherwise I`m kind of fond of sitting and cocking a revolver especially if its real smooth. :roll: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

.38 Special in a wheel gun is absolutely adequate for self defense - I really don't know why they made anything else - well maybe if grizzly bears are really a threat to ya...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Had a little Taurus 445 -- very similar to yours but in 44 Special ---

One of the few guns I've sold over the years that I wish I had back

Mine was typical Taurus regarding a QC issue when it was new, but I had my gunsmith rectify a forcing cone interference issue with it rather than sending it back to Taurus ----

The thing was perfect after that
----- Doug
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I carried both revolvers and then auto pistols for duty and off duty carry. Been out of that business for a while now and the only auto pistol I own anymore is my Ruger MKII. I am at heart a revolver guy. I don't have anything against automatics, they work. I just can't find a small pistol that will fit my hand well enough to be able to shoot as accurately as a revolver. I'll keep searching, but in the meantime, I recently added a Ruger LCR to my collection. It is a very nice carry piece and shoots great. I bought the .357 version and just as claimed, the felt recoil with full magnum loads is less than traditional revolvers. No more of that baseball bat type smack to the palm. Using the magnum loads, it is still not a revolver for beginners though. I am actually thinking I may opt for another and carry two. They are light enough and very concealable. I am a firm believer in the "concealed" aspect of carrying for self protection.

Kevin
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Streetstar,
funny you should mention that.
I just got the parts for my .32 Long builder, and the barrel has NO forcing cone.
I will rectify that before assembly.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Streetstar,
funny you should mention that.
I just got the parts for my .32 Long builder, and the barrel has NO forcing cone.
I will rectify that before assembly.
My sorrow over getting rid of my old one may be over in 5-7 days

I hope this one will be good --- Ted's thread just motivated me to get another --- price is not too crazy for a big bore wheel gun --- not all Taurus's need work, but if this one needed 50-80$ worth of cleanup, still wouldn't be a bad deal

I don't need any new guns --- EXCEPT- for revolvers --- I am really getting sick of chasing my brass all over the place since I have been going to indoor ranges too much lately - - I also have 3-4 boxes of .44 Spl left over from the last little snub I had -- at the rate I shoot, that might be a decade's worth :oops:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =382177645
----- Doug
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

Have always carried 38 Jframe sized revolvers for CCW.
Bought a ruger LCR in 38 and love it.
So light some times I forget about it.
Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If the Truth were to be known, it would be that the people who carry wheelguns in today's world are typically the ones who can shoot better than average and are more reliable in any situation. The shooter being more reliable makes a difference. At the gun range I see a lot of people who think that hitting the target half the time is good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

"When I looked at the two gorillas standing behind the tall blonde smiling at me I was glad I was carrying the 38, and more glad she was carrying two of them. It was going to be an interesting evening."