Put a "PORT" in your Bullet Puller!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Put a "PORT" in your Bullet Puller!

Post by rbertalotto »

I use a Quinetics "impact" hammer type bullet puller and I hate having to screw the cap off every time I want to empty the powder and removed bullet.

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Once the bullet comes out of the case, don't you have to unscrew it to retrieve the brass anyway?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Put a "PORT" in your Bullet Puller!

Post by Griff »

Great idea Roy!

I usually end up pulling just more'n ONE tho'! I bought my knietic puller more'n 35 years ago... I expect it to break almost every time I have to use it! I finally ordered a collet type puller for the press, just in case...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I have the same type that is blue. Midway brand,I think. I too expect it to break, but that plastic is tough. How do you keep the powder from flying everywhere, or do you?

Kevin
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Okay, I have broken 3 of those in less than 5 years. What am I doing wrong? I'm not trying to drive the bullet to china and I am hitting them on a scrap of 2x4. How are you guys making them last?

Chris
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Chris83716 wrote:Okay, I have broken 3 of those in less than 5 years. What am I doing wrong? I'm not trying to drive the bullet to china and I am hitting them on a scrap of 2x4. How are you guys making them last?

Chris
I have broke at least 5.......I think it all comes down to how much you use it. I use it a lot saving components from crappy loads, factory ammo to get the brass.....that's OLD factory ammo and will usually split on the first firing.....I do this to anneal.......

Yea, cut the port and put a piece of duct tape over it. You can pull it off about 100 times before it needs to be replaced.

ALWAYS put a few pieces of cotton down in the hole so the bullet will not be damaged.

I have found the best thing to whack it on is some weak minded liberal's head.....eeeerrrrrrr. A short piece of a 6x6 about 6" high. I guess a 4x4 will work also but the 6x tends to stay in place because of the weight.--------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I have smacked my puller thousands of times on the anvil on the back of my vise. Never had a Quinetics break. I used it a few years ago pulling apart military ammo to sell the components. The handle does bend after a while and needs to be straightened out, but that is some hard plastic!

I think hitting a softer than steel piece of wood might be some cause. Maybe the wood springs back and causes some weird harmonic?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Just thinking here Roy, might be a right handy idea but don't you still have to remove the screw top and aluminum collet to remove the brass and "reload" it? Seems like you have to and then wouldn't you loose some powder on the whack that dislodged the bullet? Haven't used one modified in such a way so these are just my question/concerns. Maybe a video?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I use either the concrete floor or my vise. Not broken one yet. I like the port idea but usually just dump the bullet and powder into a sieve when I remove the brass and shell holder.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Double post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I did the same thing with my Lee Hand Press, which I use mostly for de-priming, so I didn't have to keep shaking out the old primers through the shell-holder hole.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I whack mine against the face of an old Estwing hammer. Never could get it to work on wood, it seemed to absorb the blow too much. I doubt if I have used mine as much as some of the other guys. I usually use it when I am taking down reloads that I occasionally get from other people. I've got some .221 Fireball right now that will not pull. I guess the bullets are crimped too much and are too light.

Kevin
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I have a press mounted to a steel plate welded to a length of pipe which is welded to a axle flange which is bolted to a brake drum by the lug bolts. Several years ago I pulled the bullets from 1,000 S & W 45 ACP by hitting on the brake drum. It is a very solid platform and the RCBS ? green puller has a port that can be cut out if you want to. It looks about the size of the port posted by rbertalotto. My puller has taken quite a lot of hits over the years & still going strong.

hayabusa
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

smack it on the flat anvil of a ball peen hammer, held in the other hand. I've done 2-3 K though they years with no damage to the k puller.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chris83716 wrote:Okay, I have broken 3 of those in less than 5 years. What am I doing wrong? I'm not trying to drive the bullet to china and I am hitting them on a scrap of 2x4. How are you guys making them last?
Chris
Yep, I've probably pulled slightly more than a couple thousand bullets with my RCBS kinetic puller also... I always use the concrete floor as the surface to whack it on... Maybe you're using too soft a surface to bang 'em on!

And if you question the number of rounds pulled... I bought it to pull down 4 cans of WWII .30-06 I bought in a garage sale. Between me and my partner on that deal... we pulled down 2,000 rounds. Both of us bought bullet pullers the same day and pulled the bullets and powder over the next week. Neither puller broke... I figure we each did half... and over the past 36 years since then... Yep, I've probably had to pull another thousand... but none in that large a quantity at once!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Chris
I have only used mine 8 or 10 times in the last 5 years. Perhaps an improvement in the quality control of your ammo? I have a lead ingot about 1"x4"x6" that I pound on (does not soften blow), mebbe that's easier on the tool, and it's much quieter.

BTW, OP. Nice modification, but don't you still have to take the cap off to remove the case?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mine is an RCBS and I use a log of black walnut that I have sitting in my garage to hit the bullet puller against. I have not broken it yet. I have had to replace the O-ring that holds the 3 sections of the collet together.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Griff wrote:
Chris
Yep, I've probably pulled slightly more than a couple thousand bullets with my RCBS kinetic puller also... I always use the concrete floor as the surface to whack it on... Maybe you're using too soft a surface to bang 'em on!

And if you question the number of rounds pulled... I bought it to pull down 4 cans of WWII .30-06 I bought in a garage sale. Between me and my partner on that deal... we pulled down 2,000 rounds. Both of us bought bullet pullers the same day and pulled the bullets and powder over the next week. Neither puller broke... I figure we each did half... and over the past 36 years since then... Yep, I've probably had to pull another thousand... but none in that large a quantity at once!
I've pulled thousands of bullets with the same RCBS puller, so much that I wore out two collets. I put up a post some time ago about it and Professor Joe suggested replacing the collet with the appropriate shell holder. Brilliant!!
Still using the same one. I hit mine against the great big Hollywood Gun Shop Press (30# chunk of steel) that I inherited from my Grandfather along with a couple thousand hand loads that would be 40-50 years old now. The powder and brass were corroded on many of them but the bullets were fine after running them through the tumbler.
My puller has some cracks but it's still whacking away! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"