Browning 53 32-20 loading Advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Browning 53 32-20 loading Advice

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Need some help fellows. I just bought a new in box Browning 53 as my own personal Christmas present.
I have the RCBS 32-20 3 die set and a Lee FCD in 32-20
A friend of mine has a Magma mold for a 115 gr RNFP bullet flat base. No gas check. I am thinking of getting these sized at .314 as in my 45 colt I have had good luck at running .002 oversize with cast. I was told the Browning 53's slug at.312
I got some starline brass coming and I have WSR primers on hand
In the powder department I have Red Dot, Unique, SR4756; Re 7; and several other still slower on hand
Can anyone perhaps suggest some good fairly clean accurate loads that will stay under 1400fps due to my lack of gas checks?
Kind regards
Doc.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 53 32-20 loading Advice

Post by JerryB »

You can start out with your 115 grain cast bullet using 4.5 grains of Unique and go up to 5.5 grains and see how they do in your rifle. I don't know how a .314 bullet with the 5.5 grains will do, it make give you some high pressure signs. I have a 1892 Winchester rifle 32wcf made in 1917, barrel slugged .312 and that is what I load. I really like the Hornady XTP HP bullets in 85 and 100 grain with 5744 and 2400 powders. A lot of 32-20 shooters here.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

OK, all the standard disclaimers here. These loads were safe in my rifle, may not be safe in yours, etc., etc.

I'm using the 115 gr. Lyman 311004 plain base sized .314".
For 1,400 fps I use 10.0 gr. IMR 4227, or 12.0 gr. IMR 4198, or 5.5 gr. Unique, or 8.0 gr. 2400.

My best .32-20 accuracy is with 14.0 gr Reloader 7 which gives 1,500 fps and minimal leading. Using my Cimarron 1873 rifle, this load got me into Master class in NRA Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Rifle silhouette shooting.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I shoot mostly 2400 in mine under a Lyman 115 gr. bullet.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I tried a bunch of different bullets in my 32-20's and the Magma bullet was the most accurate. .002 oversize in the 32-20 might be a thou too much. I would prefer .313 if your groove diameter slugs to .312. I have an original Model 53 32-20 and its groove diameter is .312 as well.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You can always buy a Lee .313" and shrink them if you need to. 5.5 Unique.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My Browning 53 slugs to .312, so I'm guessing that was indeed their standard. I haven't shot any low velocity plain base yet so don't have any advice for you, but I'd bet the Unique and RL7 loads from the crew here wouldn't do you wrong.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Thank-you very much Gentlemen for all your helpful advice. This is a new caliber for me and I went over my pension budget on the Browning so I always look to learned friends for advice to keep things safe and accurate.
Earl if you don't mind my asking what diameter of boolits are you shooting thru your Browning 53?
It was many years ago that an old friend long gone suggested .002 over to seal the bore when shooting cast without Gas checks at mid levels.
Thank you again fellas.

Doc
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Doc.Holliday wrote:Earl if you don't mind my asking what diameter of boolits are you shooting thru your Browning 53?
I'm using .313 but plan on trying .314 because my danged Ranch Dog bullet is casting up .316+ and the .313 size doesn't look quite perfect to me, like there may be some damage being done squeezing down to .313. So I hope these Brownings like .314!

I lied a little bit -- I did try a plain-based bullet. It was a 150 grain Lyman round-nose bullet and it didn't stabilize. I have some commercial 120 gr .313's I've shot in the Savage bolt gun I got from jdad and they shoot pretty decent with 8.8 grains of 2400 (that is the smallest charge my Redding meters out -- jdad had advised 8 grains). I just haven't tried them yet in the Browning. Maybe I have too many guns?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I size my bullets to .314 for both the Browning 53 and my Uberti 1873.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Thank-you both Earl and Chuck. I am going to start with the .314 also and see how I fare out.
I use Reloader 7 in my 32 special with good results so it would be real nice if I could develop some nice loads for my NEW 32 with the same powder.
The unique loads are surely the most economical by a longshot in these days of powder shortages and I will work with that powder for sure.
Kind regards
Doc.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I load 4 gr of Unique under a Lyman 311008 and it yields 1170 through my Marlin 1894 CL sized .313. I have to admit I love the looks of the Browning 53 and looked for one for awhile but never found one that was in my price range when cash was at hand.
You will love it and small game up to coyotes will not.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Thank-you EdinCT;
I too fell in love with this gun and against all reason blew the pension. Looks like the rest of the gifts this Christmas are going to be kinda sparse. Grand Pa isn't going to be overly popular for awhile. But heck I worked for it and my treats are getting fewer each year.
Kind regards
Doc.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

You won't regret getting that Browning. It is a beautiful little rifle. I just checked what I recorded for the groove diameter on my original Model 53 ... .3105", so it is a wee tad tighter than your Browning. I also mic'd the Magma bullets I have and see that they are bevel base, not plain base. The weight is 115 grains, are hard cast, and factory sized to .312. With that in mind, .314 might work alright in your Browning. I suspect that there is a slight wobble to my bullets at 100 yards, at least with the 2400 powder. The Blue Dot is faster and produces a higher pressure spike which may be bumping up the hard cast bullet just enough to eliminate or reduce the wobble. I would like to size them at .313 to see if the wobble goes away. Here are the results for two loads, both at 100 yards.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Much appreciated Kirk. Thank-you for the encouragement and those fine pictures.

Kind Regards
Doc
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

I forgot to add that I don't know if it's me, my rifles or my technique but I cannot seem to reload with 2400 powder without leaving a barrel full of old maid kernels left behind no matter the caliber I reload for.
It seems a powder of choice for many yet I get less residue with Unique and many call that dirty but its just soot .
I guess the way to eliminate the kernels going in the action is to use a bore snake.

Kind Regards
Doc
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

2400 does leave behind some old maids UNLESS it is loaded as it was intended and that is in MAGNUM loads.. It wont burn clean in reduced loadings. Is that a problem??? Many people seem to think so but that is just something to complain about. I use 2400 in .38 special cast loads and in the .30-30 and .38-55 and others with cast bullets at reduced velocity for target shooting with great results.