Interesting way to remove Marlin trigger-flop...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Interesting way to remove Marlin trigger-flop...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Interesting way to remove Marlin trigger-flop...

Post by piller »

I have never taken one of my Marlins that far apart, but I think I will have to try it. The person who did that is a better and more creative machinist than I am, but I can follow in the footsteps of others. Thanks AJ.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I won't even get up and count how many Marlins I own, suffice to say more than I can count on one hand, but I will state with confidence that this supposed 'trigger-flop' malady has never been even a slight problem for me.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

FWiedner wrote:I won't even get up and count how many Marlins I own, suffice to say more than I can count on one hand, but I will state with confidence that this supposed 'trigger-flop' malady has never been even a slight problem for me.

:)
+1
NRA Life Member
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I gotta try that. I've got the happy trigger installed now but it's too light for me and I don't know how to add pull weight.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a 336W that is a RemLin and it has the trigger flop. The well made ones from Marlin didn't have it as far as my limited knowledge shows.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Drill a shallow (approx. ¼" deep x the diameter of a ballpoint pen spring), hole in the top of the trigger, where it mates with the sear... start trimmin' a ball-point pen spring to take up the slack, yet allows the trigger to push the sear rather than the spring. Or go shopping at your local, well-equipped hardware store (ours is an ACE Hardware) for a good selection of springs... find on that fits in your hole, and wants to remain in it... and is about 3/8" long, then reassemble the rifle... spring keeps the trigger forward, rather than back... but... the "flop" is gone.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

piller wrote:I have a 336W that is a RemLin and it has the trigger flop. The well made ones from Marlin didn't have it as far as my limited knowledge shows.
My four Marlins have it, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

37 years and I never noticed it on my Marlin, I guess it never bothered me. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

Griff wrote: Or go shopping at your local, well-equipped hardware store (ours is an ACE Hardware) for a good selection of springs... find on that fits in your hole, and wants to remain in it... and is about 3/8" long, then reassemble the rifle... spring keeps the trigger forward, rather than back... but... the "flop" is gone.
I have found the springs in Bic disposable lighters to be the perfect diameter and length for trigger springs in several guns. I got tired of searching for that "one" brand pen that had a smaller diameter spring when I found the Bic lighter spring solution. It has good resistance without being too heavy. Look for a used/dead lighter, micro or standard size that is not one of the piezoelectric types. The lighters have two springs in them, one for the flint and one for the gas, it will be obvious which one to use.
John

No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn't know it.

Paulo Coelho
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

First it was the trigger flop in post 64 94 Winchesters. Now that those are mostly gone they're picking on the Marlins.

Oh brother ..... :roll:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Before I buy any gun, I check it out real good and if there is any issues that would be cause for concern, I would hand it back. Never did have any issues with the older Marlins.

About 2 months ago I was talking to a Remington rep down at my buds gunshop and I really busted his "stones" on the quality of the new Marlins. He was a young guy, maybe 40, so I strongly suggested the high command should address these issues or he may have to move to Italy or Brazil if he wants to stay in the gun business.---------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

What is trigger flop? I don't think my 444S has it.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Flop! All of my marlins have flop (play) to some extent. It has never been a concern to me as they shoot just fine and if you cant or wont learn to live with as I have than don`t complain about it,just fix it. It was designed and built that way and millions of them are in use without complaint.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

One of the major issues I've always had with Marlin's design package is the positioning and presentation of the trigger.. I have always found them awkward and uncomfortable, and prefer the angle and placement of the Henry/Winchester/Browning (not BLR) triggers.. I find the latter group to be much more user-friendly. My 'solution' has been, and will continue to be, to avoid Marlins.. Problem solved.

(WARNING !! Hundreds of animals were killed in the process of gathering the experience behind the formulation of this opinion..!)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Flop! All of my marlins have flop (play) to some extent. It has never been a concern to me as they shoot just fine and if you cant or wont learn to live with as I have than don`t complain about it,just fix it. It was designed and built that way and millions of them are in use without complaint.

yes. marlin triggers never bothered me. just jerk it back, it'll go....
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Grizz wrote:yes. marlin triggers never bothered me. just jerk it back, it'll go....
That must be where I made my mistake.. I've always tried to shoot Marlins as if they were more 'civilized' rifles, albeit with varying degrees of only mediocre success..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

I just checked all four of mine, made from 1969 to 2008, and, yes, they all have trigger flop. It bothers me absolutely none at all. But if it bothers you, it's good to have a way to fix it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:...(WARNING !! Hundreds of animals were killed in the process of gathering the experience behind the formulation of this opinion..!)
I hadn't read this back when... Buck, you nailed it right there! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I always heard most of the problem was the jerk on the trigger anyway.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Buck Elliott wrote:One of the major issues I've always had with Marlin's design package is the positioning and presentation of the trigger.. I have always found them awkward and uncomfortable, and prefer the angle and placement of the Henry/Winchester/Browning (not BLR) triggers.. I find the latter group to be much more user-friendly. My 'solution' has been, and will continue to be, to avoid Marlins.. Problem solved.
Now there's a good solution (though I have been known to appreciate a Marlin or two that were at least a century old, I also prefer Winchesters).
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

piller wrote:I have a 336W that is a RemLin and it has the trigger flop. The well made ones from Marlin didn't have it as far as my limited knowledge shows.

At one time I owned an even dozen Marlins of 1950s vintage. Trust me -- they all had it. And for most folks who grew up with it, like me, the flop was never a problem. But with the resurgence in popularity of the design many folks whose only previous experience was with designs that had "flop-less" triggers, the flop became a big deal. It's sort of like the thousands of Yankees who visited our area of the South, fell in love with the rural setting and laid-back lifestyle, decided to move down here -- and promptly began to convert it in to a Southern version of the crowded, hectic suburban areas of New York and New Jersey they had fled. :wink:
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

It is indeed interesting but I've been fortunate in that all the Marlins I've owned have failed to flop.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

After 4 decades of using my 444S I didn't realize my gun has a floppy trigger!!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Eventually the floppy trigger drive will be replaced with a CD trigger drive.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I don't mind the flop has long has the trigger is crisp once take up has started. My Marlins are. Compared to a two stage military trigger the Marlin flop is the berries!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Canuck Bob wrote:After 4 decades of using my 444S I didn't realize my gun has a floppy trigger!!

I know, right? when I hear about floppy triggers I figure there are other issues and the trigger gets the blame.

I don't even think a light trigger pull is necessary on a hunting firearm. I just check to see if the weight of the rifle will discharge the gun. if it does I can manage to do the same. :wink:
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I had never heard of "trigger flop" before visiting these forums, never even noticed that it could be a "problem".

I just shoot the thing at deer, and a huge pile of them later, it still works just fine, :D

Never shot a Winchester, but if you can stick your finger through the guard and squeeze gently, i'm sure it'll work too. :lol:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Non issue .... IMHO. :wink:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Trigger flop is a real problem. It causes people to spend money on unnecessary upgrades.