Wow! Seriously ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Wow! Seriously ???

Post by cshold »

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wow! Seriously ???

Post by RIHMFIRE »

if that was on private road...well...ok

but if he shot that buck on a public road...he should be toss in the pokey...

i would not use a 223 on deer......but it does do the job...if dead on accurate...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

That was pathetic.
Why somebody calls that a hunt is beyond me. Even worse is putting it on youtube.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That's just one step from driving through the zoo :roll:
Definitely not my style :?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The conversation sounds like he took a cull buck on someone's private property.

"That ain't huntin"?

Maybe he wasn't looking for a hunt. Not everybody enjoys the 'process' or feels a need to appease the holier-than-thou set. If he was assisting someone to manage their herd and got a pile of meat doing it, I don't see the problem.

Maybe this lazy non-huntin' road-sniper 'harvested' a management buck.

can't be man cause he doesn't smoke
the same cigarettes as me
I can't get no
I can't get no
satisfaction

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

You may very well be spot on right Wiedner...
Just not my style.
I would admittedly have a hard time doing that.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

What'll you bet, that the "hunter" was all rigged out in Camo.......?

Reckon those kids never heard of Fair Chase.. Cull "hunt" or not, this takes Pathetic to a new low..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I'm with Buck Elliot.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The thing that really bothered me is the disrespect in attitude for the animal.
I'm probably a strange bird, but this is how I roll.
When the 'Big Guy' upstairs blesses me with a kill, I look up
and thank Him first, then respectfully thank the animal for it's
life I just took.

If the day should ever come that I stop showing that respect and
doing the above, I will stop hunting.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

yes that's not the way to do it!!!
I hear way to many times, IF I cant drive up to it I aint gonna shoot it
as I get older I don't venture to far away from the pickup, but if I have to do that I quit

ollogger
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm not much of a hunter, but I ain't a "Bambi lover" either. I was thinking those guys had no appreciation for the animal, or being able to take an animal. Perhaps seeing a large deer is an everyday (or close to) thing for these guys and shooting one from a car is about like going to a drive-up coffee hut. Definitely not a story to tell the grandkids.

While I haven't hunted deer in a couple decades, I'd pass on shooting one like that...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I didn't watch the video, but from comments I would guess that my meat harvest style is out of style.

In Alaska I passed up rutty bucks because I can't eat antlers, or hormone swollen meat. I often waited for the snow to herd up the animals on the beaches, where a high percentage starve to death in heavy winters, and shot the best meat animals to hang for the family fare. I took forks and non pregnant does.

Sometimes I drove up to a herd in a boat and put 4 or 7 down at one time. They are a gift from our Creator and I thank Him for it.

Sometimes I climbed to alpine and found one to pack out, or often as not got skunked and just had a nice vertical walk.

It's all the same to me, I kill to make food, or to protect, that's it. There is no sport in it, it's a job of work. I make humane kill shots, head shots as often as possible. I've passed up many many more than I've killed.

I think there is a massive misunderstanding about herd animals, and those who prey on them. They live in abundance for the benefit of the people who eat them.

I don't condemn those to whom killing game is a sport. However, 'fair chase' and other 'sporting' terminology has no place in meat gathering for those who subsist on game. To make the point clearer, until the advent of horses in NA, paleo hunters ran herds off of cliffs. It's the work of supplying the people's needs.

To read some comments is to think that someone would arrive at a beach, or glen full of deer and start yelling "SHOO, SHOO, RUN AWAY you animals." Actually the way it works is we just put them down right where they stand. The ones we don't need might stand around while we pick up the ones we took. Might walk over and smell your hand.

I think I'll skip the video. :roll:
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Grizz wrote:I didn't watch the video, but from comments I would guess that my meat harvest style is out of style.

In Alaska I passed up rutty bucks because I can't eat antlers, or hormone swollen meat. I often waited for the snow to herd up the animals on the beaches, where a high percentage starve to death in heavy winters, and shot the best meat animals to hang for the family fare. I took forks and non pregnant does.

Sometimes I drove up to a herd in a boat and put 4 or 7 down at one time. They are a gift from our Creator and I thank Him for it.

Sometimes I climbed to alpine and found one to pack out, or often as not got skunked and just had a nice vertical walk.

It's all the same to me, I kill to make food, or to protect, that's it. There is no sport in it, it's a job of work. I make humane kill shots, head shots as often as possible. I've passed up many many more than I've killed.

I think there is a massive misunderstanding about herd animals, and those who prey on them. They live in abundance for the benefit of the people who eat them.

I don't condemn those to whom killing game is a sport. However, 'fair chase' and other 'sporting' terminology has no place in meat gathering for those who subsist on game. To make the point clearer, until the advent of horses in NA, paleo hunters ran herds off of cliffs. It's the work of supplying the people's needs.

To read some comments is to think that someone would arrive at a beach, or glen full of deer and start yelling "SHOO, SHOO, RUN AWAY you animals." Actually the way it works is we just put them down right where they stand. The ones we don't need might stand around while we pick up the ones we took. Might walk over and smell your hand.

Griz,

You caused me to stop and think this whole discussion over for a while. I did watch part most of the video, and it does add a slightly different flavor to the mix, but as you aptly point out there is seldom a simple black and white.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I watched the video with the sound off... but, depending on the exact circumstances... I can see takin' a cull buck as the opportunity presents itself. Private road = no problems; public road = big problems. And taking a cull buck is different than "hunting", be it fair chase on open range or over feeders on a managed herd on private preserve behind high fence.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

What I saw was a complete lack of respect for the animal. Honking and yelling at the buck attempting to get it to stand up so he could shoot it was a real low point.
The only way I could understand this is if the hunter was disabled, but I highly doubt that is what happened here. I think there is a reason the comments were disabled on the video.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Can't see the video due to dial-up, but most of the "hunters" where I live shoot deer from their truck window. While decked out in camo, lol! The deer population here has really gone down hill in the last 20 years, with the big time hunters; "I don't shoot less than three points(snort)" When I was a kid three points were everywhere, smallest buck was a fork. After 20 years of people shooting the big bucks, the standard buck is a spike. Even some of the biggest bucks are only forks. Old dry does are everywhere. Back in Dad's day, the locals shot only for meat, and pretty much shot whatever was handy, spikes, forks, does, etc. The population stayed healthy. Sure not the case now, the average deer now is about the size of a dog. Lots of the "hunters" just slice off the hindquarters and leave the rest of the deer, too, I have found the carcasses quite often.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

ndcowboy wrote:What I saw was a complete lack of respect for the animal. Honking and yelling at the buck attempting to get it to stand up so he could shoot it was a real low point.
The only way I could understand this is if the hunter was disabled, but I highly doubt that is what happened here. I think there is a reason the comments were disabled on the video.
Dito, exactly what I saw.
Is it just my imagination or did it sound like the female next to the
shooter got beaned in the head with the ejected case?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I feel the same way about places where feeders are legal. Ring the bell and the deer come runnin'....No one seems to get upset about that, do they? I'd have to find out if what they were doing was legal. If they were not on a public road, I suspect that it was legal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What BlaineG, Buck and others said ++++
That guy could have his own TV hunting show. NOT!!
SAD! :(
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I finally listened to it... I found the most telling remark, "...it ain't a throphy, but it's one that (sounds like Mike), would want us to shoot." Sounds like a cull kill. If you're going to cull the herd... you have to do it. I don't see it as anything to get excited over.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Some hunter. Truly disgusting.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Hmmm....

Am I the only one that saw the cars driving down a highway directly behind the deer and in line with the direction of his shooting? That is the bigger violation in my opinion!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ignorant bastard---- i turned the video off before seeing this tool murder that animal

I am going to disagree with Grizz's opinion of the simple gathering of meat on this one. (that's a noble cause, but I doubt that is the driver's motivation)

America is a land of over stuffed overfed fat azzes as it is and most people anymore have no problem meeting their daily caloric intake needs on even a meager budget , --- If the person in the vid had to kill that animal to feed his family, I seriously doubt he would be brashly posting the outcome on YouFool.com with an expensive Iphone
Last edited by Streetstar on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta wrote:Hmmm....
Am I the only one that saw the cars driving down a highway directly behind the deer and in line with the direction of his shooting? That is the bigger violation in my opinion!
SHASTA
I guess so. I looked at it several times after you posted... as I'd have to agree with ya. Are you talking about 2:00-2.02? If so, I believe those are animals running, not cars.
I couldn't get a clear pic when stopped, but... they looked like three animals runnin' to me.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Lot's of assumptions being made about this kill.

Kevin
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mac in Mo wrote:Lot's of assumptions being made about this kill.

Kevin

Most of them correct .......... unless that was a rabid deer pent on destruction who had already taken the lives of 5 townies
----- Doug
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

If that had been a coyote or prairie dog, there would be no talk of him disrespecting the Creator's gift or being in a vehicle.

It's pretty clear to me, he is not on a road at all. He did a turn in reverse to get the shot and the deer ran in front of the vehicle...no asphalt, sand or gravel.

His conversation indicating he was culling. My guess is he spotted and evaluated the buck at distance then drove up. The deer had every opportunity to escape but was too stupid.

What was he supposed to do? Run it off and stalk it? Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's unbelievably difficult.

I hunt in camo clothes because they are my hunting clothes. If they get ripped, bloodied or dirty, no big deal. And they come in wonderful fabrics that protect me from the elements.

IMO he has nothing to brag about and he wasn't. He has nothing to be ashamed of either.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Streetstar wrote:
Mac in Mo wrote:Lot's of assumptions being made about this kill.

Kevin

Most of them correct .......... unless that was a rabid deer pent on destruction who had already taken the lives of 5 townies
We still don't know if what they were doing, at that time & place, was legal, or not....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

That clown should be horse whipped !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That deer was not hit very good and should have been put down with another shot.I love to hunt but I do not like to see an animal suffer. Road hunters are the worst kind IMHO. I think the .223 is to small for a reliable deer round........
That vid left a really bad taste in my mouth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Griff wrote:
Shasta wrote:Hmmm....
SHASTA
I guess so. I looked at it several times after you posted... as I'd have to agree with ya. Are you talking about 2:00-2.02? If so, I believe those are animals running, not cars.
I couldn't get a clear pic when stopped, but... they looked like three animals runnin' to me.

That sure could be, Griff. Perhaps the telephone pole is throwing me off, as they are normally along roads, but whatever is moving back there is maintaining an even spacing.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Boreman,

How was the deer not "hit very good"? It went down 20 yards from where it was shot. Was the guy supposed to pump a full mag into it and ruin all the meat? That would be "disrespectful". I did not see a road anywhere, so why are they "road hunters".
If this was a legal kill, then I don't have a problem with it. I use tree stands at times, and have been bashed for that, so I'll hold off judgement on this kill until someone can prove it is an illegal kill.
I also don't get the anti-camo thing among some of us here. I hunt the Missouri Ozarks and our Whitetails are the best at busting hunters, especially the mature does. Camo helps, especially when the deer are within spitting distance. Rutted up bucks, chasing does, you could kill while wearing a flashing red light on your head.

Kevin
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Not enough info to say much about this video. I have just two comments.

.223 is a fine deer cartridge with the right bullet.

I'm with Grizz on subsistence hunting. When you depend on hunting to live, you take every advantage you can legally take. Sometimes it's hard, and sometimes it's easy. Sometimes it's a hard pack and sometimes it's in bare feet and long underwear from your front porch. Antlers aren't such a big deal.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Absolutely pitiful!

My guess never had an adult teaching proper hunting and respect for the animal being hunted. :roll:

Those that think the way he disrespected the animal and wacking it from inside the vehicle, is fine.

Guess I will just stop here cause, we will never agree.

Kid sounded like an immature fool!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

If you hunt within 1/2 mile of a planted food plot or feeder your just the same as this guy in my book.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

C'mon Harry....You cannot be serious about food plots....can you? What about regular ag fields? I guess most Missouri hunters are "as bad as this guy". You can't go too far here without something growing that was planted.

Madman, I'm not sure how he "dissed" the deer. It was mentioned earlier that yelling and honking was "dissing". I guess when I am in the woods and I need to stop a deer that's moving, I whistle or yell "hey deer" I'm "dissing" it? Should I worry his homies might pull out there gats and pop rounds at me? I'm being facetious here, of course, but the way some guys act with deer is bordering on silly. I never hear anyone worry about how small game or fish is treated or respected.

The way I honor the game I kill is to give a little thanks, take good care of the carcass, butcher it and enjoy it at the supper table. It gets a place of great honor, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

I know we all look at these things differently, but to disparage a bunch of people who hunt differently than is normal in your area , even though they are doing it legally for their area, is wrong.

There was a video posted here a few years back with a guy blasting hogs from a helicopter. I don't recall ANYONE having problem with that, but then again my memory is questionable at times.

Good day, Kevin
LeverDud
Levergunner

Post by LeverDud »

Grizz wrote:I didn't watch the video, but from comments I would guess that my meat harvest style is out of style.

AMEN.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've hunted both "fair chase" and over food plots and feeders... There is a difference, in one case you may or may not see any game.

Oh! Which one, you ask? Why, any of them.

Just because there's a food plot or feeder doesn't mean that the deer will decide to choose that place to be when you're there! It ain't like anyone ropes a deer and ties it up the feeder for ya!

I'll talk TX and CA, as that's where I've hunted most, tho' I have hunted CO, UT, & AZ as well.

In CA, back in the 1980's we had drawings for zones... I'd buy my deer and bear tag then enter which were my 1st, 2nd, & 3rd choices for zone... sometimes I'd get drawn, sometimes not. So, for my $46 deer tag I'd be told what days and where I could hunt... God willin', the weather and other factors would coincide and I'd have a great hunt. If all that came together and I did both my homework and fieldwork properly, I'd be doubly blessed with a deer to see, possibly shoot. Under those circumstances over a 10 year period I think I killed 7 deer and passed up shooting a few hundred... because they were the wrong sex, ill-fed or otherwise didn't appear healthy... and a few occasions, just didn't have enough "points". Total expenses over what I'd have probably spent camping or just fishing, cost of the tag.

Move to TX, buy deer tag(s), varys by county from 1 up to 5 deer. For my $25 I can then look for either a state draw hunt in order to be a lucky participant in a public lands hunt. The last one I participated in you were assigned a small plot and checked in every nite with the game warden for the 3 days of the hunt. Strict fair chase rules applied. 1st year, I bagged a small forked horn... second time, I didn't see hide, track, scant nor hair of a deer in the 3 weeks scouting prior to the 3 day hunt, let alone during the hunt.

Or, you can search for a "deer lease". Usually from an outfitter or if you're lucky enough a farmer or rancher you may have the acquaintance of that for a fee will lease you his land to hunt on. I've done this on a "day-lease" and annual lease basis. Farmer/rancher sets the rules for how many guns, feeders or any of a myriad of other factors that may need clarifying as in any other contractual relationship. I've paid as little as $50/day to $2,500/year for said hunting rights. For the $50/day, you get taken out to a stand, over a claimed game trail, no feeder in sight... as well as no deer. That was s one buck county... I'd have been happy to see a few does... ok, at least ONE!

For one annual lease I was allowed to scout the land as much as I wanted, taking any non-game & predators as I wished, (namely pigs & coyotes) and choose any location from which I could take a legal shot at deer. Since both my leases were on So. Texas ranches, there weren't any food plots, nor were these "high fence" places; so, if you know that the neighboring ranches had feeders to attract deer, yet you'd just shelled out $1,800 for the exclusive use of a thousand acres, (actually it was a bit more as there were 14 of us on 25,000 acres), and all 13 of your new huntin' buddies had feeders up... what would you do?

I hunted the first place for 5 years, took about 8 deer (5 deer county per year allowed), and maybe 15-20 coyotes and nary a havelina! Someone else always came thru with camp meat, never went down during turkey season, and between the 14 of us only one mountain lion. Prices went up to $2,500/year and then the owner decided his other lease holder's offer for the entire place was better...

Next place was closer, but far stricter rules... could only hunt every-other weekend, starting the weekend after opening, (reserved for family), no pre-season scouting, no game other than deer, and they had to be 8-point or better. Could only use their pre-existing stands and feeders... set on their schedule, and this was for the same $2,500 we'd been paying. After one season of that, I quit. The guys have moved a couple times in the years since, been invited along once as a guest, (actually they said they like my breakfast cookin')...

And although I haven't hunted for the past 5+ years, to hear the method trashed is a bit dis-heartening. Something like 99% of Texas is privately owned. And while deer are plentiful, the competition for them and the hunting dollars they represent is fierce. When ranchers realized that deer hunting can equal or exceed their other profit centers... and folks from back east and the big cities that have deep pockets can have trophy deer available, the whole system can be skewed. That place that I used to hunt for $1,800/year is now over $5,000.

It's one thing to sit back over your keyboard and criticize the guy hunting over a feeder, it's quite another to sit over one's keyboard know that one can't afford to go hunting... whether it's over a feeder, out of state or whatever.

Now, I guess I'll have to suffer some slings and arrows because I use a "wounded rabbit" call on coyotes! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Well stated Griff.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I believe that is a Texas tag on his windshield, and scrub looks right. I bet if you e-mail the link to TPWD operation game thief, they will find out the circumstances.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

So much for ever considering a move to Texas....These days, even the gasoline is limiting factor for hunting....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Food plots and feeders are like obama phones for deer hunters. :lol:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Appears to me the "hunter" is on private land, with permission of the owner/manager, culling a marginal buck. Not at all unusual on Texas ranches. Paying hunters generally want big, fine bucks and the ranchers are more than willing to oblige by taking out older bucks, or those possessing less than primo genetics. Didn't note any road or highway in the area, just looks like a lot of west Texas range land. Must say those deer are not unusually concerned by the presence of a vehicle. :o Most likely they are quite accustomed to seeing ranch workers tooling around the place putting out feed or hay for cattle.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.