Took the boys on a hunting adventure

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Took the boys on a hunting adventure

Post by 86er »

We pulled out Sat. afternoon with several destinations in mind. First we headed south in Texas to try some whitetails. The south zone is easier for the boys since there are no antler restrictions and a lot more deer. We got rained out Sat afternoon and Sun so the boys spent time riding their 4-wheelers in the mud. Monday we drove 3 hours to hunt out past the Nueces River but the water level blocked our access. We turned around and drove 3 hours East and arrived at 4PM. Brandon wanted to deer hunt and this was his first time doing it all by himself. He picked out a blind based on the sun and Justin and I climbed in with him. He loaded his rifle, put the safety on and started glassing with binoculars. Justin fell asleep first and for a little while Brandon did too. I noticed a buck coming along a treeline about 150 yards out but I bit my tongue and did not say anything. When the buck came away from the trees at about 120 yards Brandon saw it. He tapped on my arm and held his finger to his lips and said "Shh" and pointed to the buck. He then woke Justin and whispered "put your ear mops on' (that's what they call them). I asked if he was going to shoot and he said, "I passed on two does over by the big tree and two smaller bucks by the pond. That's a bigger buck than I ever shot and it's free range so I think I want to try for him". This made me proud because he is no longer just wanting to shoot stuff, he is thinking it through and hunting. At 107 yards the deer started feeding. Brandon eased the gun onto the ledge of the blind and cocked the hammer. He aimed in for a few seconds and then gave his brother and I a thumbs up. The deer lifted his head from eating and looked away from us, making his spine a straight line from tail to head. At the shot the deer dropped straight down. There was no movement. I asked if he wanted to wait and Brandon said "I'm pretty sure he aint going nowhere". We walked out to the buck. I noticed the entrance hole right behind the shoulder. Then I saw the exit. That 180 grain XTP from the 360DW punctured the on-side lung, went under the spine and travelled along the spine in the neck causing the hair on the neck to make a bristled up stripe. It then went under the chin and exited the top of the head next to the antler. It is crazy what that little rifle can do. Later, Brandon spoke to the taxidermist in private and made his deal, even signing his own invoice. He chose a european mount because it "was a nice buck but one day he'll get a giant".
The next day we got a call that we were waiting on from a friend of a friend. The ranch he works on would give us a special zone tag that was good for a bull elk with an unbranched antler at least 15". He had seen 3 or 4 such bulls in a particular area. We spent the whole day travelling with as much stuff as we felt we needed for the 24 degree temperatures in the mountains. After an early wake-up at 4AM and a long climb that started at 7AM and took an hour, we were on a hillside overlooking a water-hole and within a few hundred yards of an alfalpha field. The ranch hand started calling with squeaks and I asked him "why" since the elk rut was long over. He said the young, curious elk would still come to check it out and this group he had been watching was usually bedded in a heavily brushed area. Apparently it worked because soon the boys saw some antlers moving through the trees. First, a huge 6X6 bull and 6 cows came by within 100 yards. We moved further up the hill and called again. This time within 15 minutes a group of young elk showed up. The first was a fork-horned bull, followed by 8 cows. Then there was a spike with about 10" sticks. The last one was a spike that would make the 15" mark. Our "guide" popped open a decoy and set it just in front of us when the elk were looking away. He called again and they all started coming to us on a narrow trail. When the last elk, the one we wanted came around the trees he was about 30 yards away. I whispered to Justin to take his time and squeeze the trigger. My whisper must have been a little too loud as it stopped the elk. Justin aimed in and as I was about to say "wait" he fired. The elk scattered and this one went 25 yard and fell over. He got up and came back to us and fell over again. Then he got up and ran downhill where he fell yet again. The rest of the elk grouped up and headed uphill. This elk got up one last time and tried to climb the trail to follow his buddies. He made it about another 20 yards and went down for good. We could see the hit in the lungs. Later we found the 180 grain XTP. It took both lungs and broke the shoulder palate where it was stuck in the meat. At home it weighted 139.6 grains and is .486 diameter with a nice mushroom shape.

We travelled most of the night and arrived in Camp Wood, TX early in the morning. We were going to try to hunt whitetail or free-range exotics by spot and stalk. In Camp Wood we saw axis deer, blackbuck and whitetail, but none that the boys wanted to shoot as most were does and far away at that. We hunted 4 other places including one of the ranches were Anna Nicole Smith lived with her husband (the ranch was sold to the husband's brother and was just sold again). We saw an aoudad, axis deer and whitetails but again nothing big or close. We then travelled southwest to Bracketville. Me met Efran there and he took us out on a ranch that was a mere 16,400 acres. Efran said there were usually axis or blackbuck on a flat, so we climbed up and looked down over the flat that was about 100 yards away. Brandon saw the axis deer first but they ran past us as close as 40 yards. About 20 minutes later Justin saw some "deer" up on a bluff and quite a ways out. I looked with binos and saw a group of about 20 blackbuck does. Efran had to leave to pick up his kids from school (early out) in 15 minutes, so I told the boys "go to the truck and get me my rifle". About 10 minutes they came back with my rifle still in the case. I loaded it, looked through the rangefinder and saw a red 267 in the lens. This custom 7mm-08 is my most accurate rifle, regularly shooting half inch hundred yard groups and sighted in 2.5" high at 100 yds. The 150 grain Swift Scirroco at 2700 fps hits right on at 270 yards. I got comfortable and put the crosshairs right on a fat doe. Just as they started to move I squeezed the trigger. While the other does ran across a trail on the bluff, the one I shot fell about 50 yards down off the bluff. The shot was right on the money and the small antelope was no challenge for the cartridge.

After a long ride home pulling the trailer and stopping for coffee and restroom breaks every 2 hours we arrived back this Thanksgiving Day at about 7AM. We are extra thankful for this wonderful time we spent together.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Last edited by 86er on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Took the boys on a hunting adventure

Post by FWiedner »

Well done, Brandon. Likewise Justin and Joe!

Sounds like it was a great trip and a good hunt!

You guys are a hunting enterprise.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great job! :D
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats to y'all!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Way to go guys! My memories of hunting with my Dad and brothers are some of my most precious.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Joe, it looks like everybody had a good time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Super cool. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

86er -- love reading your reports, especially with your boys...you're a great Dad, taking the time with them is huge...I still have great memories hanging, camping, and hunting with my Dad...its days like this I miss him the most...HAPPY THANKSGIVING... :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Success for all, quite a trip, congrats to all. These boys have quite an opportunity and experience thanks to your efforts.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Elk with a 360DW? Amazing! Great shooting. Congrats to all.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Raising children (boys or girls) to maximize their potential in all aspects of life, is what being human is all about. You exemplify this very well; good job, and be proud...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8) You guys are so good, you don't hunt, you go fetch 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic Joe and family. Quality time together.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Makes me happy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Tycer, looks like that little carbine sure likes to make meat, you put it in good hands.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

JerryB wrote:Tycer, looks like that little carbine sure likes to make meat, you put it in good hands.
Yep! Makes me tear up.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Busy hunting week ,great results! :D :D
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Hope those boys realize how lucky they are to grow up like that.

All my family hunted when I was a kid, they just didn't do it with me and my brother. After Vietnam dad didn't want to hunt anymore for nearly 40 years.

Your boys have gotten more game than I have in one third as much lifetime. :) They'll have awesome stories to tell their own kids one day.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

You are a lucky man Joe, lucky that Brandon & Justin let you have a shot. Great report as always.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

peter richards wrote:You are a lucky man Joe, lucky that Brandon & Justin let you have a shot. Great report as always.
+1 :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Well done sir.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Neat hunt! That 360DW is some cartridge. Much more performance than you'd expect by paper ballistics.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

sounds about perfect for father and sons quality time. Congratulations Joe!!!