case lube

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

case lube

Post by pokey »

i am just about out of the rcbs case lube i've been using, so am
looking at my options.

any recommendations?

tried the search, but no happiness there.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: case lube

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pokey, I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I apply it with my fingers and use it very sparingly. Usually it only has to be put on every third or fifth case to work just fine.
I have a new can that I have not opened yet so if you want to try it I will send my old one home with Dev.It still has enough lube in it for a bunch of sizing.
It wipes off with a paper towel and if left on does not effect the powder.
Let me know if you want it. Chuck
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Pokey, I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I apply it with my fingers and use it very sparingly. Usually it only has to be put on every third or fifth case to work just fine.
I have a new can that I have not opened yet so if you want to try it I will send my old one home with Dev.It still has enough lube in it for a bunch of sizing.
thanks chuck, send it.

i may have a tin of that rattling around in the shop.
have to go into search mode. never thought to use it for regular sizing.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Ive had the best luck w/ Lee's case lube, its a water aced wax in a tube. Very small amounts applied w/ the fingers and swabbed in the neck w/ a q-tip, low sizing drag both ways. Reduced case streching when used in the necks. You can mass lube too, by mixing it w/ isopropyl and shaking in a plastic bag. On the cheap, Kiwi mink oil shoe treatment works as well as anything else, just harder to get off.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I use the Lee Lube, its as easy as it gets, and as said good for inside the neck

ollogger
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Imperial -- a light application is all it takes.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I like the Hornady Unique case lube.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I use straight STP. I drain the used bottle into a glass, wide mouthed Mason jar. I tip the jar over enough to leave a film on the inside and just touch a finger to it and wipe this on the case. Best there is and costs nothing. For my 44-40s I buy whatever is on sale in the spray can and spread about a hundred out on a 5 gallon plastic bucket lid and spray them not long before loading on the Dillon 550. Hey, works for me.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

M. M. Wright wrote:I use straight STP. I drain the used bottle into a glass, wide mouthed Mason jar. I tip the jar over enough to leave a film on the inside and just touch a finger to it and wipe this on the case. Best there is and costs nothing. For my 44-40s I buy whatever is on sale in the spray can and spread about a hundred out on a 5 gallon plastic bucket lid and spray them not long before loading on the Dillon 550. Hey, works for me.

My high school shop teacher gave me my first true lesson in reloading. STP is what he had me use. Buy a plain ink pad from an office supply house that has never had ink on it and "ink it" with the STP.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I just use cable pulling lube, like electricians use. Looks the same as the Lee stuff, but heaps cheaper.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
44-40
Levergunner

Post by 44-40 »

I've been using old fashioned castor oil for a couple of years now. Works great, and a 16 oz. bottle is about a buck at Family Dollar and will last forever. Did I mention I'm cheap? :mrgreen: Works just as good as the Hornady stuff.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Pokey, I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I apply it with my fingers and use it very sparingly. Usually it only has to be put on every third or fifth case to work just fine.
i use this exclusively too...works great... :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

peter richards wrote:I just use cable pulling lube, like electricians use. Looks the same as the Lee stuff, but heaps cheaper.
I am going to try to find some of that. I use the Lee or the Hornady case lube just whichever I can find when I need more. If I can find a source of something much cheaper that is the same, then I will use it. Cheap is not always a bad thing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

STP will save you LOTS of money ??? I paid $7.00 for a tin of Imperial that will last a life time.
Case lube is the least expansive item used in hand loading. I save money in other ways like using reclaimed shot and range lead. Don`t use reclaimed powder or primers though! :lol: :lol: :lol:
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I use the spray Hornady and love it also have Imperial for case forming and guess now I will have the give it a try.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've been using Imperial Sizing Die Wax for about 20 years now !

I am on my second can now for about 6 months !

I would say I load a fair amount more rifle cartridges then most folks and one can lasted me about 20 years !

I think when I bought that can it was $5 !

I bought the second can about 6 years ago as a back up in case the other got misplaced and I think the second one was $5 but a hair smaller in size . I suspect two to three more cans of this stuff will last my lifetime or until I decide to stop reloading !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

got the package, thanks.
give it a go tomorrow.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

peter richards wrote:I just use cable pulling lube, like electricians use. Looks the same as the Lee stuff, but heaps cheaper.
Never thought of that. Do you put it on a pad or just wipe it on?
I used to like the Ideal cable lube, it dried to a powder that brushed off my clothes.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

I like the Imperial sizing die wax, too. While sizing, I toss the newly-sized cases back in the hopper of my vibratory case cleaner (they were clean when I sized 'em) with the corn cob media, run it for half an hour or so & the cases come out clean & dry. Saves having to wipe 'em clean of the lubricant.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

44-40 wrote:I've been using old fashioned castor oil for a couple of years now. Works great, and a 16 oz. bottle is about a buck at Family Dollar and will last forever. Did I mention I'm cheap? :mrgreen: Works just as good as the Hornady stuff.
Welcome to the Forumn. Have you noticed any buildup on your dies? I used a lanolin sizing lube from the Dollar Store and it left nasty green "gunk" build up in my dies. It was also water based, I didn't stick to my cleaning and inspecting of my stuff and didn't catch it til a couple years later til my seating dies weren't adjusting as precisely as they used too. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Washita wrote:I like the Imperial sizing die wax, too. While sizing, I toss the newly-sized cases back in the hopper of my vibratory case cleaner (they were clean when I sized 'em) with the corn cob media, run it for half an hour or so & the cases come out clean & dry. Saves having to wipe 'em clean of the lubricant.

I don't always worry about wiping the wax off !

Sometimes I resize load and shoot as is .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !