My "bug out" transport!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

My "bug out" transport!

Post by GoatGuy »

"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
bdhold

Re: My bug out" transportation!

Post by bdhold »

assuming, of course, he wants to bug out, too
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My "bug out" transport!

Post by Mescalero »

If you get into the mountains, you will gain respect for the sure foot nature of the beast.
Can't beat it in rough country.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Very handsome looking outfit. How's the ride? How's the temperment?

That's a great foto. Makes me nostalgic.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Looks like he is listening to you ok :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
You look right well seated up there. Appears you have reached that mutual understanding of progressing together. That looks to me like a good plan.
If I had to choose which 4 footer to carry me and my gear for long extended period of hideout that is the beast I want.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

It will go everywhere that side-by-side in the background won't.

And it runs on 100% organic fuel. Definitely a "green" vehicle. Actually looks like a hybrid to me. You should be able to get some kind of tax incentive for that!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

never road a horse, mule, or donkey, just a camel when i was in the middle-east...but that is a vey cool ride... :)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Goatguy, that is a good looking rig and mule. When My dad was young he had saddle mule that was a fine singlefooter.I had one cow horse down in Florida that was a singlefooter.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

LOVE IT!!!

I have a Mule and love the ride, the companionship. he is so in my pocket and is like riding a couch!

Great photo!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

My ride isn't a mule, but they will do...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Halflingers?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Well I bet that "Mule" is also EMP proof. Probably the only bug out transportation that WILL work.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

rjohns94 wrote:Halflingers?
Give yourself a star and go to the head of the class. An "N" line and an "A" line.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BrentD wrote:My ride isn't a mule, but they will do...
BrentD -- that is a really nice photo, not sure about the old guy in the middle (only kidding)...like i said growing up in the urban sprawl of NY, we never had an opportunity to ride anything organic, just buses, cars, trains, and subways...thank you for sharing...you and "GoatGuy" made my day... :)
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

GoatGuy wrote:Image
It is hard to beat a good riding mule! But for a bug out mule you need to have a pack mule as well.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

30wcf wrote:...like i said growing up in the urban sprawl of NY, we never had an opportunity to ride anything organic, just buses, cars, trains, and subways... :)

Well... There was that Puerto Rican gal...

:o

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

You'd want to be well armed and quick on the trigger, cause lots of people would see you sitting on 500 lbs of good food.
Here in Oz I'd opt for a couple of camels and a cart.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

MAMMOTH DONKEY! I've never owned a MULE, ...have never ridden a MULE. No hybrid, no cross breeding, just an animal obviously not many of you folks have run across. Pure Donkey!

Mammoth donkeys have been in America for more than 2 centuries. They were imported into this country to help develop a larger, stronger mule critter that would be superior for use as dray and agricultural stock than mules of that time. George Washington and some business associates were involved in the business and had mammoth donkeys imported from Europe for that use.

The animal you see me on is "Rocky', a 14.5 hand MAMMOTH DONKEY! Rocky was one of two trail riding Mammoths we bought for our farm. Ours came from Garrett Mammoth Jackstock, a breeder in Stilwell, OK. Google is your friend.
Last edited by GoatGuy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

14.2 hands? Man, that is some donk for sure. My haflingers are 14.2 hands as well.

Impressive animal yours is. My sister raised mini donks, an animal for which I see no purpose other than to absorb ones retirement funds. But your big guy is a whole 'nother beast.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for donkeys - they just have a lot of personality, and they are smart.

Only seen pictures of the big ones, though.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Iam old school I ride horses and pack mules, I wont ride anything thats smarter than me :lol: . I have one buddy that use to ride a john mule hes back to horses again some packing, hunting & fishing pics. GG those longears are entertaining to watch when they come up against a hornet nest. danny
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0016-1.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0020-1.jpg
Brent nice looking stock. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I do believe that's taller than my quarter horse.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Rocky is 58 inches at the withers, ...if donkeys had withers. Largest Mammoth Donkey I've been on was 61 inches or 15.25 hands. Had to use a stool to reach the stirrup to mount. :oops: Have seen a couple taller than that though.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Goat guy, sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I have a friend in Tenn that breeds and sells mammoths. I didn't take time to process well sorry. Having troubles processing these days. My apologies
Mike Johnson,

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BrentD wrote:. My sister raised mini donks, an animal for which I see no purpose other than to absorb ones retirement funds. But your big guy is a whole 'nother beast.

I picked up 2 of them a couple of months ago to keep my horse, Petey company in the pasture -------- so far, they have been cheap -- they use 1/3 the grain a horse does and love round bale hay

Inquisitive little critters ---- i'd like to find a job for 'em to do -- But not much bigger than a great dane, -- but I suppose they could pull around a cart full of leverguns !
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

streetstar,
I bet they could haul wood for you.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:streetstar,

That is an awesome idea !
----- Doug
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

rjohns94 wrote:Goat guy, sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I have a friend in Tenn that breeds and sells mammoths. I didn't take time to process well sorry. Having troubles processing these days. My apologies
Mike, don't pay me no nevermind, I wasn't really offended. Just playing with you all, as if I was insulted in having those big boys labeled as mules or burros. Hope you will forgive me. In retrospect, I was a little over the top with that post. :oops:
To tell you the truth I'd never heard of mammoth donkeys until a couple of years or so ago, when my then wife decided we needed a couple. We went to see them in Stilwell, OK and my first impression was they were just really ugly horses. :lol: Changed my mind after riding several, and buying a couple out of the bunch. They really are something else. I think very highly of them now, obviously. And I'm real glad we bought from the Garrett's. Wonderful people, the Garretts and their crew (we think of them as friends now) and highly trained trail riding Mammoths. What a deal.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Beautiful animal, Personally I'd rather own a large donkey than a horse (or a mule). Do we have to start calling you DonkeyGuy now? :wink:

This guy's donkey was a tad too small for the load. :lol:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I should have reckognized that it was a Mammoth Jack and not a Mule. I have a friend that has a mammoth that he breeds to Draft Horse mares, other than that I have little knowledge so I did me a google search.

I found this article about a woman with the worlds largest A.S.S!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-butt.html
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Beautiful animal, Personally I'd rather own a large donkey than a horse (or a mule). Do we have to start calling you DonkeyGuy now? :wink:

This guy's donkey was a tad too small for the load. :lol:

just has the parking brake on.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

pokey!
How are you?
Have not heard from you in a while!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hey GoatGuy great picture of you on your ride. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Mescalero wrote:streetstar,
In my experience, all they do is step on my darn toes and at about 300#, mini is a relative thing. Heck I don't know what they weigh but I do know my toes hurt.

I'm must a dog guy anyway....
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/P ... 0small.jpg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Mescalero wrote:pokey!
How are you?
Have not heard from you in a while!
fine as frogs hair. thanks for asking.
i can listen[read] and have people think i'm a fool,
or talk[type] and prove it. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

GoatGuy wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:Goat guy, sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I have a friend in Tenn that breeds and sells mammoths. I didn't take time to process well sorry. Having troubles processing these days. My apologies
Mike, don't pay me no nevermind, I wasn't really offended. Just playing with you all, as if I was insulted in having those big boys labeled as mules or burros. Hope you will forgive me. In retrospect, I was a little over the top with that post. :oops:
To tell you the truth I'd never heard of mammoth donkeys until a couple of years or so ago, when my then wife decided we needed a couple. We went to see them in Stilwell, OK and my first impression was they were just really ugly horses. :lol: Changed my mind after riding several, and buying a couple out of the bunch. They really are something else. I think very highly of them now, obviously. And I'm real glad we bought from the Garrett's. Wonderful people, the Garretts and their crew (we think of them as friends now) and highly trained trail riding Mammoths. What a deal.
GoatGuy,
Do you have to keep shoes on the donkey if you ride him much? Or does he go barefoot? Is that a Mule saddle or a horse saddle that you use?
NRA Life Member, Patron
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Lastmohecken wrote:
GoatGuy wrote:
GoatGuy,
Do you have to keep shoes on the donkey if you ride him much? Or does he go barefoot? Is that a Mule saddle or a horse saddle that you use?
Barefoot. It's a horse saddle, price was right is the reason. Donkeys are tricky as they are pretty straight backed. No withers to speak of.