Tula + Walmart = Giggles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Tula + Walmart = Giggles

Post by Panzercat »

Walmart has ammunition again. Yay! Even better, they had cheap(er) ammunition; specifically in 45acp. This ammunition happened to be Tula, which is apparently a problem for the gun counter cashier ringing it up. He warns the guy in front of me that it is steel cased. Said guy nods and happily pays for his three box limit of 223. I'm next. I recieve the same warning, but apparently being .45acp cuases additional consternation so he asks me what kind of gun. Of course, i answer my 1911.

The guy's eyes nearly bug out.

Now, anybody here probably already knows my 1911 is hardly heirloom quality. It's a Turkish build that I'm not horribly worried about running cheap steel cases through on occasion (in fact, the factor test round was steel cased). But i'll tell you, the guy's reaction was priceless. You could just see him imagining me running steel through my priceless $1,500 match 1911. And it it does break, it's a Davidson's brand. Good to go. That said, i appreciate the warning... Mostly. If I didn't already know about the evils of steel ammunition, and how steals souls, or something like that.

Still, the bug eyes were great.
Thank you, Walmart :)
Last edited by Panzercat on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tula + Walmart = Giggles

Post by Streetstar »

Retail counter quarterbacks
----- Doug
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Good thing he doesn't know I broke in a new Kimber CDP with Wolf ammo. My stainless slide was black within the hour!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At least the guy IS trying; a store I was at was selling the little 22 Colubri 'primer-only' gallery rounds for use in Ruger 10/22's and Mark-III's, telling customers that they were "subsonic, but otherwise will work in any 22 LR chambered gun". :?

Technically true, I suppose...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like the inexpensive steel-cased stuff for outdoor shooting when I don't want to chase brass. Don't feel bad about not digging around searching for all my brass after such a session. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I used a lot of the Wolf Ammo in my 1911 back when I could find it. I do watch for the steel bullets now. One of the gun ranges I go to checks all ammo with a magnet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's been maybe 20 years, but, I got to listen to a serious conversation between a WallyClerk, and customer about which 9mm would be best for bear hunting...... :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:It's been maybe 20 years, but, I got to listen to a serious conversation between a WallyClerk, and customer about which 9mm would be best for bear hunting...... :oops: :oops:
124 grain FMJ should be a fine load for a bear...you'll need the heavier bullet for penetration...:shock:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

or a 147 Speer Gold dot....if you paper patched it an put it in a .357 Maximum case and prayed
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

I always steered clear of steel and aluminum. Don't know why! Not usual I quess. But i bet some of you could tell me when to and not. would cut cost and I don't have any high end guns to ruin,
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I have tried the TulAmo .380ACP, steel-cased stuff, because it was all that I could find. I ran ONE magazineful (11 rounds) through my FIE Super Titan (made by Tanfoglio, circa, 1981), and it was flawless. Not only is the case steel, but a magnet sticks to the copper jacket. Either there is very little lead, surrounding a steel core (under that jacket), or the copper is concealing an all-steel bullet. Also, the Tula .380 feels hotter than Remington's does. The Tula ammo seemed to be fairly clean-burning, too. ...but that's just one magazineful...

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Pretty much all of this. I do know it's not as reliable in terms of manufactuing process, but even that's relative. I have brass and that's what's in the mag at home or when I carry, but a little steel for practice here and there never hurt anybody. Or maybe it did. This guy was pretty adamant. Maybe I shouldn't feed it after midnight or something. :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

BlaineG wrote:It's been maybe 20 years, but, I got to listen to a serious conversation between a WallyClerk, and customer about which 9mm would be best for bear hunting...... :oops: :oops:

Now THAT is one bear hunt I'd like to see on video. Especially if he shoots from a ground blind! :D :o I wonder if they would edit out when the bear attacked him? No more worries about someone hunting with a 9mm after that. It's called selective gene reduction.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

handirifle wrote:
Now THAT is one bear hunt I'd like to see on video. Especially if he shoots from a ground blind! :D :o I wonder if they would edit out when the bear attacked him? No more worries about someone hunting with a 9mm after that. It's called selective gene reduction.
you know Murphy's Law would kick in and that you-tube vid would show some bottom-feeder shooting a record black bear with a 9mm 115gr. FMJ...one-shot stop at 78 yards...it'll go viral...then he'll get written up in the gun mags and you'll see him and the stuffed bear at the Outdoor Shows for the next 15 years... :(