I see many folks thinning the EBR herd and getting leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I see many folks thinning the EBR herd and getting leverguns

Post by AJMD429 »

[b]A Fellow Levergunner[/b] wrote:I have a Noveske AR chambered in 300 blackout. 1×8 twist. Free float barrel. Quad rail. Magpul AFG. 2-30 rd mags. Flat top. Under 50 rds thru it. Over 1500 invested

wanted:
JM Marlin GBL or similar 45-70
Revolvers in 357 or 44
I liken this to selling a contemporary high-performance, computerized 2013 Mustang, and picking up a 1970 Ford F-250. Less to go wrong, less finicky about fuel, more varied uses.

I see it a lot. I'm doing the same, though fortunate enough to keep an EBR or two as well.

By the way - I really like the 300 AAC Blackout - http://300aacblackout.com/ round out of the AR platform; it seems like what the gun should have been chambered for in the first place. Add a LibertyCans 'Mystic' suppressor - http://libertycans.net/mystic/ (357 caliber actually) and you're ready to have reasonably-quiet fun. It seems to do enough of what the various 6.x mm AR chamberings can do to make it pretty useful, without the additional special bolt-faces, magazines, etc.

You can always turn a 300 Blk back into a 223/5.56 in about 5 minutes with ONLY a new barrel, since the bolt and everything else are identical. If you choose, you can even make your own 300 Blk brass from 223, but it isn't all that scarce.

OTOH - I really LOVE the 44 Magnum out of a Marlin 1894 and a Ruger revolver of either DA or SA type. :wink: Toss in a 444 Marlin for 'the big stuff', and a 44 Special for CCW, and you have a stable of tools for most any need.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: I see many folks thinning the EBR herd and getting lever

Post by JB »

The local shows here are full of folks trying to unload AR's. Many bought during the AR scare during the last year and are now trying to unload the rifles without taking a hug loss. I see them carrying around what's now a $600 to $700 rifle, but wanting $1,000 or more since that's what they shelled out during the panic.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JB wrote:The local shows here are full of folks trying to unload AR's. Many bought during the AR scare during the last year and are now trying to unload the rifles without taking a hug loss. I see them carrying around what's now a $600 to $700 rifle, but wanting $1,000 or more since that's what they shelled out during the panic.
and when the next (inevetible) panic occurs (or the shooting starts), they will be the first to whine about the price gouging/panic and or not having an appropriate gun...

Morons.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

No doubt showing my age, here, but have never done the black gun thing, at all. Have had lever guns all my life, from rim fires right on up to the 444, though, and never had any regrets. May be considered old fashioned and outdated by some, but not much I couldn't do with on of my Marlin or Winchester 30-30s. Each to their own, as always, though.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
[b]A Fellow Levergunner[/b] wrote:I have a Noveske AR chambered in 300 blackout. 1×8 twist. Free float barrel. Quad rail. Magpul AFG. 2-30 rd mags. Flat top. Under 50 rds thru it. Over 1500 invested

wanted:
JM Marlin GBL or similar 45-70
Revolvers in 357 or 44
By the way - I really like the 300 AAC Blackout - http://300aacblackout.com/ round out of the AR platform; it seems like what the gun should have been chambered for in the first place.
You're not far off, the AR10 preceded the M16 by several years... competed for the Army battle rifle contract against the M14. IMO, shoulda won!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I would have to acquire a few EBR's in order to thin them out :P I noticed on Bud's Guns they have pretty good prices on Windham, Del-Ton, Daniel Defense and Stag AR's. Have I mentioned that I really like the look of the Viet Nam era look of AR's.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I only have two, I think I will keep both of them.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I only have two, I think I will keep both of them.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Best part about it is that all throughout the panic, i could normally find 30-30 on the shelf. Stock was hit or miss, but there was certainly more hit than the other, more popular 'tactical' rounds. And I get about the same ballistics of 300blk, if not the capacity :D

(but I would like a .300blk upper eventially)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

My thoughts about the EBR are many, but let me only list one. To me the ideal caliber/cartridge for them would have been the (now) 6.8 SPC, EXCEPT with a proper 6.5 bullet, seated long enough to maximize powder capacity. Then build the rifle around that.

Had Stoner done that I think he would have won first time around. The 6.5 is popular with our allies, and the long range ballistics are proven. The round would have out performed the 308 (NATO 7.62 x 51) by a long shot, and would have held way more rounds than the NATO round as well. They would not weigh much more than the current 5.56 offering.

With all that said, since 72 I stil don't like the AR platforms.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

handirifle wrote:...With all that said, since 72 I stil don't like the AR platforms.
Luke....

Join the HK side... Our Rifles are not Black, nor are they plastic... or "gas" operated..

Oir rifles operate by the power of the Force...

Join us... Our magazines cost less than $10 ea (often less than $5/ea...)

:twisted: :twisted: :idea:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Doc,
I like the picture of the parents with their children:)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of the Ugly Black Rifles, and my son has one. I don't see a need to get rid of them. I put a scope on mine, and it will make very small groups as long as I do my part. For the deer and pigs in Texas, it will work just fine in most cases. I have a .30-30 and a few others for other things. Due to aging eyes, I am going to put a scope on my .30-30 soon. With the UBR and the .30-30, I probably don't need anything more. Want??? Why, yes, of course, yes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

handirifle wrote:To me the ideal caliber/cartridge for them would have been the (now) 6.8 SPC, EXCEPT with a proper 6.5 bullet, seated long enough to maximize powder capacity. Then build the rifle around that.
Very good point. Although I like the 300 Blk, it seems like the 'ideal' would be just a bit longer round, so you could use high-b.c. bullets. Even up to 338 caliber, perhaps. A gun that could handle a cartridge capable of propelling a 300 grain 0.338" bullet at 950 fps, would hopefully handle a 'penetrator' type long/light bullet around half that weight at a mid-2,000 fps velocity, and be compatible with a 'necked-down' cartridge able to get in the mid/upper-3,000's with a 22 caliber projectile.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The 6.8 spc does seem to be a pretty good idea, and I agree that bringing it down to 6.5 might be a better idea. I am toying with the idea of getting an AR 10 platform so that I can use .308, 6.5 Grendel, and even .243 Winchester. The .50 Beowulf is also a good idea. No, I am not getting rid of my UBR, and I might add to it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

UncleBuck wrote:I like the picture of the parents with their children:)
Well, with just those four same-bullet-diameter firearms, one could cover quite a few needs and situations. One of the things I like about '44' caliber vs. the '45' caliber is that the 'rifle' rounds and 'handgun' ones use the same bullet diameter instead of different ones, although there are 'wildcat' 45-70's made to shoot 0.452" bullets.

Same setup could be made using 35 caliber firearms, for sure... :mrgreen:

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

IMHO it is just the return to common sense for some folks. Give me anything other than an AR style rifle. Of course they are restricted here but my levers or Lee Enfield will do anything I need to do.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have on of the Romanian SKS's with the milled rec. and the screw in barrel.
I bought it for the express purpose of rebarreling it to 6.5 Grendal.
BuckRimfire
Levergunner

Post by BuckRimfire »

AJ, that .35 Rem is sweet! I'm jealous.