article ... the .45 Colt Levergun as a Hunting Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

article ... the .45 Colt Levergun as a Hunting Rifle

Post by new pig hunter »

while looking for something else, I ran across this article from 2012 .....
http://gunsmagazine.com/the-45-colt-lever-action/

Cheers,

Carl
1894c

Re: article ... the .45 Colt Levergun as a Hunting Rifle

Post by 1894c »

that's a good article...gives good insight, especially to those who want to hunt with the .45Colt... :)
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Thank you for that link. Interesting reading.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good article. It fully confirms my suspicions that the .45 Colt is a very capable cartridge. I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45, and am saving to get a leveraction in .45 to match it with. I have a pistol/rifle combo in .480, and a pistol/rifle combo in .44 Mag, and would like one in .45 just for the fun of it. As far as the .45 being enough gun, I think this article pretty well settles the question.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Teddy Roosevelt said the 45-90 was big medicine for the big bears a 45-90 with a 300 gr bullet leaving the barrel at 1500 fps so a 45 colt pushing a 300 gr bullet traveling that fast is a equal, especially with the improvement of bullets the WFN HCGC & jacketed bullets of today. danny
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Shooting my .45 Colt with a 255 grain hard cast swc over 9.0 grains of Unique will handle anything I can find here in north Arkansaw.
Do any of ya'll remember the Canadian that went by "45 Stomp"? He had many post of all the BIG game that he shot with a 92 in .45 Colt.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

The guy on the horse (Johnny Walker) is a friend of mine and lives on a farm nearby here. He is an A number 1 exceptional person and a crack shot with anything. He has a rifling machine he made and uses that is patterned after one that his ancestor left who was a person named "Carper" and made the Carper rifles. I've rode that horse in the picture ( or tried to LOL) He has some big ear plugs the size of golf balls he sticks in the horse's ears. Any of you westerners need a horse broke from gunfire he is the one to see for sure.

By the way I load the 250 grain XTP over a stiff load of H-110 (around 25 grains) and if you put the blade of the 92 Rossi on a standard 100 yard rifle target it will place all of them in a 3 inch group if you do your part. Gets about 1650 fps. Hitting a sideways placed and water filled 5 quart plastic oil bottle at 150 yards is easy but there is too much hold over at 200 to do it regularly.

Bob
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

BigSky56 wrote:Teddy Roosevelt said the 45-90 was big medicine for the big bears a 45-90 with a 300 gr bullet leaving the barrel at 1500 fps so a 45 colt pushing a 300 gr bullet traveling that fast is a equal, especially with the improvement of bullets the WFN HCGC & jacketed bullets of today. danny
Todays Big bears are a LOT tougher and bulletproof than in the 1880's. They grew armor plating in the 1960"s because of sales for the .338WCF. were sagging. A statement like yours will get the flying bats out of the caves. Look out :lol:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Tman If you listen to the gun writers you need a RPG for the big bears. My Dad started out with a savage 22 HP on deer and elk finally when ammo got tight changed to a 250 then when we started hunting north of yellowstone he used my 300 savage incase he had a encounter with big bear after we tagged out he said Iam back to my 250 bears or not your 300 kicks to much and doesnt kill elk any better. Its not the gun its the shooter :o . danny
RLSapp
Levergunner

Post by RLSapp »

What Big Sky said.