savage 420 o/u shotgun help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SMP
Levergunner

savage 420 o/u shotgun help

Post by SMP »

Hi.i just had my father give me his savage 420 o/u.The gun is is great shape.When i took it apart to clean it I found a piece of flat spring in the bottom of the forearm that had been broken off. I researched it and found it was the forend spring.It is a flat spring with a tab with a hole in it.I ordered a new one through Numrich,but still can't figure out how it would attach.Any help would be appreciated.Thank You.
Original Leverguns forum member since 11/09/2003
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: savage 420 o/u shotgun help

Post by Pete44ru »

The spring bears on the hook which latches into the barrel hook/stud, locking the FE to the barrels - it's attached to the underside of the forend iron, so the FE iron needs to be removed to access it.

Remove the forend, and then remove the screws that attach the iron to the wood, from the inside of the bbl channel.
After the iron's lifted clear of the FE wood, the remains of the old spring base should be easily accessible on the FE iron's underside.

The pivoting hook, in the FE iron, hasn't gone walkabout, has it ?

SMP
Levergunner

Re: savage 420 o/u shotgun help

Post by SMP »

The hook is still fine.When i took the forend screws off and removed the forend the piece of the flat spring was broken laying in the bottom of the forearm and I couldn't figure out where the new one would go.Thanks.
Original Leverguns forum member since 11/09/2003