Anyone have a Remington Model 76 .22 lever action rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Anyone have a Remington Model 76 .22 lever action rifle?

Post by MacEntyre »

This week I met Pat, of Pat & Duke's gun store in Oxford, NC. On the shelf was a Remington Nylon 66, and while I was looking at it Pat mentioned that she has a lever action version. I did not know that such a thing existed! "The only lever action Remington ever made" is the Model 76, made for a couple of years in the early 60s.

What are they like? Must be the lightest levergun ever made. Anyone have one of these?

- MacEntyre
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone have a Remington Model 76 .22 lever action rifle?

Post by hfcable »

MacEntyre wrote:This week I met Pat, of Pat & Duke's gun store in Oxford, NC. On the shelf was a Remington Nylon 66, and while I was looking at it Pat mentioned that she has a lever action version. I did not know that such a thing existed! "The only lever action Remington ever made" is the Model 76, made for a couple of years in the early 60s.

What are they like? Must be the lightest levergun ever made. Anyone have one of these?

- MacEntyre
i have a couple . they are very lightweight, but still point well, and the action is a very short throw quick action.

they are odd but neat. will try to round up my photo.
cable
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I have one. Not the prettiest levergun I own, but a good shooter and way easy to carry all day.

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I remember seeing a few at gunshows in the 70's and early 80's for $50 to $75. Along with Bolt Action Nylon stock 22's. Money was to thin back then. BUT always wished I had bought one of them.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I was with my Dad when he bought one, Im thinking 50 years ago?
The gun was used by 4 boys for bout 20 yrs. & thousands of rounds later it looks
real good, Dad wouldn't tolerate a dirty gun or a scratch on it
Im shocked at recent prices on them, so I told Dad what he had in the little Lever
and he seemed very happy bout buying the gun all them years ago

ollogger
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

MacEntyre,

Here are a couple of short videos of them:

www.youtube.com/embed/mIVaHtYhZdE

www.youtube.com/embed/k2rIsbtgrSw

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Nice vids... I like a short action .22 lever. They seem kinda expensive, but I hope I run across one someday!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

The nylon stocked Remingtons were the first rifle I ever saw that did not have wood stocks. I always thought they looked pretty cheap! We called them "Matty Mattel" rifles. :lol: Now they are collectables - go figure. :roll:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For a Remington Nylon collector they are the "Holy Grail".

My Brother bought one many Years ago at a local gun show in his area. He was showing it off to his Family members. His SIL remarked that his Father had one when he was a kid.
The Father sold the piece when he was Drafted for Vietnam. The piece had a very memorable Serial number and when my Brother showed the piece to his SIL's Father, he teared up. This was his childhood Remington 22 Lever Rifle he so many Years ago had sold.
My Brother gave it to him on the spot, and thanked him for his Military Service.

True Story !
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Hate to knock a Remington but be gentle with them, there's a lot of plastic in there, little rough and your break the gears ;)
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

I had one, liked it too, a good shooting, fun .22. However someone liked it more than I, and it disappeared from my police station locker in 1974. I think I know who, just could never prove it. If it was who I thought it was, I have the last laugh..I out lived the bugger!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Today someone asked me what my favorite .22 rifle is... I could not decide between my 9422 and my 39 Century Ltd. I told him that both would be shooting 100 years from now. I wonder if we'll see any Remington model 76s still working 100 years from now?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

MacEntyre wrote:Today someone asked me what my favorite .22 rifle is... I could not decide between my 9422 and my 39 Century Ltd. I told him that both would be shooting 100 years from now. I wonder if we'll see any Remington model 76s still working 100 years from now?
doubtful, seem pretty frail compared to those two of yours. i have a marlin 1891 first model [ side loader ] 22, and a marlin 1897 with 28" oct barrel.....both work just great, and are very accurate after more than a 100 hundred years.

one day i am going to count up all the 22 and 22 magnum lever guns that i have, and take pictures. it is hard to have too many, but with duplicates of some, i might be getting close. my son and step children, and hopefully their children someday will all have one to enjoy !
cable
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Lefty Dude wrote:For a Remington Nylon collector they are the "Holy Grail".

My Brother bought one many Years ago at a local gun show in his area. He was showing it off to his Family members. His SIL remarked that his Father had one when he was a kid.
The Father sold the piece when he was Drafted for Vietnam. The piece had a very memorable Serial number and when my Brother showed the piece to his SIL's Father, he teared up. This was his childhood Remington 22 Lever Rifle he so many Years ago had sold.
My Brother gave it to him on the spot, and thanked him for his Military Service.

True Story !

What a small world. Thank you for your kindness. 8)
Merle from PA