Blackhawk or super Blackhawk for custom hunting gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Blackhawk or super Blackhawk for custom hunting gun

Post by rjohns94 »

Which would you use and why? Reeder is going to do a Night Hunter conversion in 475 Linebaugh. Will be a 5 shot with 5 1/2 inch barrel. He does just about everything including changing the grip frame to his gun fighter bisley grip. He is making a 6 inch predator knife to match the revolver. So which one should I use? The super?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blackhawk or super Blackhawk for custom hunting gun

Post by Pete44ru »

It's a moot point, Mike, with New Model Ruger SA's - both frames are the same size, with only some of the gripframes having a different contour.

(The New Vaquero's, & recent .357 & .44 Special BH's, have a small frame like the older 3-screw Old Models)

If using an Old Model 3-screw, however, the BH's frames were smaller than the SBH's, which would indicate using an SBH frame for that chambering.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RE; the OM Ruger Blackhawks. ONLY the .357 was built on the smaller frame. ALL the others; 41s, 44s, 45s, 30 Carbine, were built on the large frame.

If you use the large frame. it is as Pete said, a mute point. They are all the same.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks, so what makes the super, well, SUPER?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

The Super Blackhawk designation, from my understanding, is used solely for the .44 magnum. In all of the other Blackhawk models they came with an aluminum grip frame unless you got one in stainless. The Super Blackhawks in .44 came with a steel grip frame whether stainless or blue. Some of the Super Blackhawks also came with a slightly different "dragoon" style grip frame, which had a squared trigger guard in the back and a longer grip.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You know what you want my friend.

Find an Old Model SBH and send it off to Mr. Bowen. Then you can be as cool as Me! :lol:

Action job, new sights and 7 1/2" barrel shortened to 4 5/8.

3/4" groups at 25yds. 10 grn. Unique under a 240 grn SWC.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

rjohns94 wrote:Thanks, so what makes the super, well, SUPER?
Because, the original BlackHawks were small-framed .357's, then larger-framed .44Mags with fluted cylinders (Flat Tops) - which made them light for their power.

In 1959 (remember, this was the Elmer Keith era), the SUPER Blackhawk improved on the previous editions by having a longer bbl, frame ears that protected the adj rear sight, a stronger / unfluted cylinder, and a square-backed Dragoon-style triggerguard with a gripframe that was also a bit longer than the BH grip.

The SBH was markedly bigger & stronger than anything that had previously been available.

It was only much later, in the New Model era, that SBH's became available with shorter barrels ( I had a factory 4-5/8" version), round triggerguards, and fluted cylinders.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jason, you may be right. The one that he is going to make looks like the one in my avatar but longer barrel and bigger hole. Love yours, waiting for you to get in a weak moment and sell it to me. LOL
Mike Johnson,

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd go with the Super, but I'd have the triggerguard reshaped to round if it still comes squared.....never cared for those, they eat knuckles in my experience with them.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Like others have said, I don't think it matters. The only difference would be the grip frame, and it's going to be a Bisley-style custom one.

I prefer a Bisley grip on anything over 44 caliber.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

MrMurphy wrote:I'd go with the Super, but I'd have the triggerguard reshaped to round if it still comes squared.....never cared for those, they eat knuckles in my experience with them.

That's my biggest issue with the Super --- and an issue that would have me choosing a regular frame if it will take the pounding as well
----- Doug
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The SBH hammer is superior, I believe for positive/fast re-cocking of the revolver. But I have never tried it with the Bisley grip.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Super Blackhawk or maybe old Vaquero ???
Or just say screw it and get Gary's custom (new version full featured Ultimate 500 with all the goodies)for $2595 Mike?? :lol:

Good golly that is nice :mrgreen:
Custom everything from Gary----frame on up! :mrgreen:

http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/ul500-1.jpg

http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/ULT500.htm

Where is that blasted drool rag???

Very informative article on his stuff and how it has been used--------
http://www.reedercustomguns.com/gunnotes/gunnotes94.htm
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Super is Super just because it is stamped right on the side. Otherwise it is the same as the NM BlackHawk large frame.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

The supers all had unfluted cylinders also as far as I know.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'd go with a Freedom Arms revolver !

http://www.freedomarms.com/
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !