My Rio Grande 45-70 just came in :-)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

My Rio Grande 45-70 just came in :-)

Post by wll »

Yep, just filled out all the paper work, and now she is in10 day jail till I can bail her out :-)

Wood is a light tan, I will stain her darker . The screws look nice, and no scratches on receiver
, so it's ok :-)

I will add a sling (already have) and will keep this gun simple .... I'm adding Skinner sights and a Skinner plug for the rear sight that has a hole for another aperture.

When I get through she we be tough.

I don't plan on loading her real hot, I'll stick with 405gr jacketed Remingtons in the 1550 - 1600fps range, enough to down anything within 100 yds, yet not dislocate my shoulder like my hot Marlin loads do.

I have a smile on my face :-)

wll
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: My Rio Grande 45-70 just came in :-)

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
joec
Levergunner

Post by joec »

The Smith Shop have metal magazine followers to replace the plastic ones at http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html. Wild West Guns has the ejector springs (1 piece) for Marlin 336 and they do work in the Rio Grand perfectly at http://www.wildwestguns.com/. The main problem with Rossi Rifles is their policy of few parts available to buy. You can also find a hammer extension using the Uncle Mikes extension for Winchester 94 or Henry rifles. I have 2 a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt and Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70 and love both but have been forced to look for common parts else where.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:Image
Probably won't be able to do so, given CA's idiotic 10-day waiting period!
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Did you read my post and see that I have a 10 day waiting period

wll
Last edited by wll on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wll wrote:If you want to apologize I will except it !
It might make more sense to accept it... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

AJMD429 wrote:
wll wrote:If you want to apologize I will except it !
It might make more sense to accept it... :wink:
Yes I will accept it !

I have had a tough night talking to Obama voters so I have not patience.

wll
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

wll wrote:
Did you read my post and see that I have a 10 day waiting period. Apparently you can not read and you voted for Qbama, I suggest you visit a gay bar until you are able to read at a 3rd grade education level!

As you can tell I have no tolerance for stupidity.

Please visit another forum !

If you want to apologize I will except it !

wll

Telling a guy who has been a member of the forum since JEsus designed the lever gun to "Please visit another forum!" ------

That's being a bit abrupt dude --- living with yourself must get quite complicated if you have no tolerance for stupidity ---- Do you have to constantly explain to friends and family how your black eyes and bruises are self inflicted?

There is no reason for anybody to apologize except for yourself , but I hope the 45/70 works out for ya --- remember, when your loading it, the end of the cartridge with the lead piece on it goes towards the front
----- Doug
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Yes I will accept it !

I was very wrong to talk that way, and apologize.

wll[/quote]
Last edited by wll on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

I was way over the top on that and I apologize to you, that type of comment from me will never happen again.

wll
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

wll wrote:I was way over the top on that and I apologize to you, that type of comment from me will never happen again.

wll

If you love leverguns, then your mostly a good egg, wll :) -- I will on occasion type out some rude and inflammatory things from time to time -- usually late at night after the effects of a hot toddy or two has washed over me :evil: -- IT can get a little heated occasionally on the politics side of the board too.
If I was to make a comparison of this board to something real, this board is more like an 'ol timey hardware store round table discussion , with the table made out of a big recycled electrical spool ----- than another board like, AR15.com (that does have a levergun section) where everything is pretty impersonal and its easy to call another forum member a goofball, because in a lot of cases, they are (dudes putting patrol slings and ACOGs on MArlins and the like :lol: )

If your talking about skinner sights and custom loads, it sounds like you've been around the block a bit already with these things ---- since the Rio Grande is a somewhat new commodity , just let us know how it works out -- and a before/after pic would be cool (pic just out of the box, then a pic after you've brought it up to your specs )
----- Doug
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Streetstar wrote:
wll wrote:I was way over the top on that and I apologize to you, that type of comment from me will never happen again.

wll

If you love leverguns, then your mostly a good egg, wll :) -- I will on occasion type out some rude and inflammatory things from time to time -- usually late at night after the effects of a hot toddy or two has washed over me :evil: -- IT can get a little heated occasionally on the politics side of the board too.
If I was to make a comparison of this board to something real, this board is more like an 'ol timey hardware store round table discussion , with the table made out of a big recycled electrical spool ----- than another board like, AR15.com (that does have a levergun section) where everything is pretty impersonal and its easy to call another forum member a goofball, because in a lot of cases, they are (dudes putting patrol slings and ACOGs on MArlins and the like :lol: )

If your talking about skinner sights and custom loads, it sounds like you've been around the block a bit already with these things ---- since the Rio Grande is a somewhat new commodity , just let us know how it works out -- and a before/after pic would be cool (pic just out of the box, then a pic after you've brought it up to your specs )
Streetstar,

Thanks for the comments.

Well I just ordered the Skinner sights and they will come in when they come in as I know Andy is busy producing a high quality product.

I ordered the gold version to spruce up the gun a little ;- ) I also ordered the filler screws, but forgot to order the dovetail plug, I sent Andy an email about that.

When I get the gun, I will start to make her look more presentable and then take a pic. I think this will be a fun shooter. Like a said in my OP I'm going to keep the velocity around the 1550fps to 1600fps range so s not to beat myself up when i shoot it. When you figure the trapdoor load of around 1330 fps can do some serious damage on deer, black bear and can pound a hog or two, the extra 200 fps or so should make it just a tad straighter shooting. I don't know if I'll sight in at 125 yds or 100 yds ? I'm thinking 125 yds at this velocity will be OK ?

wll
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this board is more like an 'ol timey hardware store round table discussion , with the table made out of a big recycled electrical spool -----
and various objects of discussion piled on it.....

good picture Doug, I think you captured the essence.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Grizz wrote:
this board is more like an 'ol timey hardware store round table discussion , with the table made out of a big recycled electrical spool -----
and various objects of discussion piled on it.....

good picture Doug, I think you captured the essence.
LoL, LOL ya I guess so.

Well I checked the ballistic tables and yes a 125 yard zero seems about right, it will shoot about 3 inches high at its highest point and about 3 inches low at 150 ....that works !

wll
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wll wrote:I have had a tough night talking to Obama voters so I have not patience.
I figgered a bit of levity might help clear the air some.

(when that fails, a good three-bean-soup fanny burp is another good way to hit the 'reset' button... :o :lol: - but for some reason whenever I try that to lighten up folks here on the forum it doesn't work; must be a bad internet connection.)

I'd rather talk to cockroaches than 'Obama voters'... :|
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:...(when that fails, a good three-bean-soup fanny burp is another good way to hit the 'reset' button... :o :lol: - but for some reason whenever I try that to lighten up folks here on the forum it doesn't work; must be a bad internet connection.)...
Do you know, or have you ever read any of the writings of Gerry Spence - Famed WY Lawyer and psychopath? :wink:

In one of his more memorable classes to young Lawyers he explains how he eats a healthy dose of Beans before his first day in front of a new Jury...

In his opinion, a healthy fanny burp by an uppity lawyer brings that same lawyer down to the Jury"s level and makes him (& his argument) more "human"...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: I'd rather talk to cockroaches than 'Obama voters'... :|
You ARE talking to cockroaches when you talk to 'Obama voters'.

I'd rather EAT cockroaches than talk to the parasitic Obama voters.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congrats! And ten days sounds familar... Ahhh, Lancaster! We have the same problem up here in Sacramento.

Rossi does make some better Levers than some other people... How 'bout pics and a range report when you get it out of jail? The 45-70 is a good round.

And I really am glad all CA crime was stopped by the national 1932 gun control act and all the State social programs enacted here in Sacramento since the 1960's... :roll:
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you want to shoot over a variety of ranges, you might consider an easily and repeatably adjustable sight like a Williams FP. Got one on my 32-20 just so I can quickly adjust for different loads and longer ranges. I didn't get the 'target' model because I only wanted fast finger-adjustment for elevation but am fine with screwdriver for windage clicks, and didn't want the extra bulk of the side-knob. Brownells sells replacement knurled (finger adjustable) elevation knobs for seven dollars or so so just did that.

Anyway it makes it more fun to be able to aim dead-on at 100 yards but if I want to take a 300 yard gong shot I can just go up fifteen clicks or whatever my load trajectory says and be 'on'. Then right back to the original setting again without re-sighting in.

I only mention this because you were talking about what distance to sight in and it's nice to have the Williams FP and be not locked in to any one distance.

Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

AJMD429 wrote:If you want to shoot over a variety of ranges, you might consider an easily and repeatably adjustable sight like a Williams FP. Got one on my 32-20 just so I can quickly adjust for different loads and longer ranges. I didn't get the 'target' model because I only wanted fast finger-adjustment for elevation but am fine with screwdriver for windage clicks, and didn't want the extra bulk of the side-knob. Brownells sells replacement knurled (finger adjustable) elevation knobs for seven dollars or so so just did that.

Anyway it makes it more fun to be able to aim dead-on at 100 yards but if I want to take a 300 yard gong shot I can just go up fifteen clicks or whatever my load trajectory says and be 'on'. Then right back to the original setting again without re-sighting in.

I only mention this because you were talking about what distance to sight in and it's nice to have the Williams FP and be not locked in to any one distance.
Yes, that is a thought, but I just ordered the Skinner sights today and they are on their way. The sighting in at 125 yds works for me and the hold over/under I can write down and have it in my pouch.

The one thing about the Skinner sights I like is that they are very clean and low profile, for a hiking around gun the low profile is important to me.

wll
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Poohgyrr wrote:Congrats! And ten days sounds familar... Ahhh, Lancaster! We have the same problem up here in Sacramento.

Rossi does make some better Levers than some other people... How 'bout pics and a range report when you get it out of jail? The 45-70 is a good round.

And I really am glad all CA crime was stopped by the national 1932 gun control act and all the State social programs enacted here in Sacramento since the 1960's... :roll:
When I get her out of jail, I will work on her and send pics.......the only problem is I bought two Mosin Nagants in great condition, but are covered in cosmoline ..... both of those will take some time to get presentable. I will take the cosmoline off, redo the triggers and refinish the stocks and make them look as good as a Mosin can look;- )

wll
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... if we're over our over-reacting, I'll apologize for not puttin' a smilie face on my post so you could be in on the humor also. Since you couldn't, I snuck in there and captured an image of your new gun for you. I just hope the rusty bars don't contaminate the nice bluing. If you don't get a complete picture, I'm sorry, you'll just have to read between the lines.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah Griff, the levergun sage - a truly measured and humorous response - tongue well in cheek of course. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Griff wrote:Well... if we're over our over-reacting, I'll apologize for not puttin' a smilie face on my post so you could be in on the humor also. Since you couldn't, I snuck in there and captured an image of your new gun for you. I just hope the rusty bars don't contaminate the nice bluing. If you don't get a complete picture, I'm sorry, you'll just have to read between the lines.
Well, I apologize to you again for my un-thinking reply to your post.

Yes, she is in jail, but will be released on the 9th. It is to bad California does not have electronic check like other states do, it would make life easier for all concerned.

On another note, I just checked and I'm good on 45-70 ammo and bullets. I want through one storage container today and will go through another tomorrow. I think somewhere I have two (500ea) large boxes of 405 gr Remington bullets I purchased from midway about 6 years ago, they will come in handy now ;- )

wll
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Well, now that you kids have settled down...... (grin)

Will be awaiting your comments. I would be intesested in a guide-gun shorty in .45-70 but not had any experience with the Henrys.

Don't know if the mag tube loading (v. loading gate) is something I can get past. I'll have to think about that.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wecsoger wrote:Don't know if the mag tube loading (v. loading gate) is something I can get past. I'll have to think about that.
Actually, I prefer having that option.
  • 1. Faster unloading once back in the house after a cold day afield.

2. Safer unloading when hands cold without cycling through chamber.

3. Load without scraping up brass (even happens a bit with all edges smoothed).

4. Faster loading, actually, in case needed for home defense.
My 44 Mag and 454 Casull Rossi leverguns have that option and I rarely use the side-loading gate. I suppose it is nice to have the option of both, though.

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I wish the Henry 45/70 was available with a 22" barrel (more efficient use of powder), 6 round magazine, and a straight grip (the old frat traditionalist in me).
I too have absolutely no problem loading the magazine tube from the muzzle end. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

harder to top off when the cohorts are coming
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Grizz wrote:harder to top off when the cohorts are coming
That is the only issue !

Very nice clean gun otherwise !

wll
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wll wrote:
Grizz wrote:harder to top off when the cohorts are coming
That is the only issue ! Very nice clean gun otherwise !
I'm guessing that maybe there are a couple less parts and clearances to worry about in the receiver, so maybe less prone to malfunction...??? On the other hand, if it does jam-up, there is one less way to peer inside and see what's going on.

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Not a battle rifle, 6 rounds is plenty, I'm used to hunting with single shots. :wink:
In Griz country if I haven't taken care of business in 6 rounds I'll be reaching for the 44mag on my hip if I even have time for that which I doubt. I'll try my best with first round. 8)
Nice having a halfcock, and not having an eyesore hammer-block or tang safety. Come on Henry make me a 22" barreled, straight grip, 6 round magazine 45/70 and I'll by it TODAY. :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Not a battle rifle, 6 rounds is plenty, I'm used to hunting with single shots. :wink:
In Griz country if I haven't taken care of business in 6 rounds I'll be reaching for the 44mag on my hip if I even have time for that which I doubt. I'll try my best with first round. 8)
Nice having a halfcock, and not having an eyesore hammer-block or tang safety. Come on Henry make me a 22" barreled, straight grip, 6 round magazine 45/70 and I'll by it TODAY. :mrgreen:
Got to admit, that is one nice looking rifle !

wll
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Tube loading might actually be useful. Guy came in the shop while I was here and had a 30-30 Rio and it was locked up tighter than heck. He didn't know how to take it apart to even unload it for return shipping. When apart, it was loaded with those plastic tip (factory)thingys. I told him to try some normal flat tips before returning it for repair. In that case, unloading from the front would have been handy.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Thoughts to Ponder RE Tube Loading...

Could you put a RioGrande Loading Tube onto a Marlin Guide Gun?

Steve?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Could you put a RioGrande Loading Tube onto a Marlin Guide Gun...?
Hmmmm.... Interesting.

I have a Rossi 44 Mag 92 clone, and it is a 'tube loader' but also has a loading gate. I really like having both.

wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Old Ironsights wrote:Thoughts to Ponder RE Tube Loading...

Could you put a RioGrande Loading Tube onto a Marlin Guide Gun?

Steve?
That would be the cats meow !

wll