94AE triggers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

94AE triggers

Post by Marlin32 »

Still kicking around ideas for my ulitmate elk/moose/stag/deer lever gun. (and caliber)
I have always liked the 356win, but doesn't have quite the Umph I would like further down range. BUt I know limitations and parameters of leverguns and their bullets.

I had a 94ae in 307, didn't shoot a good enough group for me, and the trigger was abysmal. I was very young then (college) and not very learned in having any custom work done.

I was wondering as I am unfamiliar with the 94 AE's beyond that limited experience,
but I wouldn't mine getting a Win AE in 356, having a 24" barrel put on it, BUT want to know if the triggers on these guns can be improved?

Anyone have a good trigger job done on a 94 AE??
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: 94AE triggers

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I installed Wolf springs in my 94ae and smoothed up all the parts and was able to get it down to decent 4lbs +/- pull. Still shot crappy groups so I sent it down the road.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Had three win94s over the years. All ae models and I have all got the crumby triggers down around 2# on standard springs. Small fine stone yer' want. Oh and my 9422.

I missed out on a 307 years ago.....stupid me :roll:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I played with mine a bit and got it down to a good clean 3 lbs but that was by a slight sear angle change along with lightening the trigger return spring. If you don't have a sear jig it's not something to try freehand. That said a year ago I ran into a fellow at a gunshow with a set of complete 94 internal parts for $45. I swapped the half cock hammer and trigger assy into my gun and now have a beautiful 2 lb. trigger. I just use it for target work and plinking so the light trigger is no safety issue.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh yes sorry....I did swap the first stage spring....my mistake.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Like retmech who posted above, I went with a lower tang & hammer swap for my Winchester 94 AE, which is a Legacy model with an octagon barrel in .38-55. I learned about this procedure on the old Leverguns forum, a small portion of which can still be viewed via the "One Sticky" near the top of the opening page of this forum. Here is a link to one of of the entries that may help find the right parts needed for the swap if that is what you decide to do:

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... rsion.html

I also eliminated the tang safety on my rifle as it would not work with this swap.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The early Big Bore AE's don't have rebounding hammers. So it is just like any other trigger sear. Contact smoothness,angle and spring tension , so you can get a good trigger by altering any of these. Sear angle is one I don't mess with because I can get the trigger I want without changing it. Stoning the surfaces till they are glass smooth will fix most of them.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Marlin32 wrote: Anyone have a good trigger job done on a 94 AE??
Yes, lower tang swap or trigger/sear/hammer/mainspring/spring guide rod. Easy peasy.
Marlin32 wrote: I have always liked the 356win, but doesn't have quite the Umph I would like further down range.
Excuse me? Umph further down range? What limitation do you see the 356 as having? I must assume you do not hand load.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BenT wrote:The early Big Bore AE's don't have rebounding hammers. So it is just like any other trigger sear.
What serial number did the change occur with...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Marlin32 wrote:
I have always liked the 356win, but doesn't have quite the Umph I would like further down range.

With all due respect, I've found the .356 has more than enough "Umph" up to any range a sportsman would shoot a game animal with it - 250-300 yds.

It's a virtual clone of the time-honored .358 Winchester, a round never thought of as not having enough "Umph".

My 20" bbl'd .356 BB94AE shot 3" groups @ 200 yds - IMHO, outstanding accuracy from a levergun, even if it was scoped when I shot those groups.

If you intend on shooting an Elk further away, I'll respectfully suggest using a scoped magnum rifle.

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

No I do not load my own, yet.. but planning on it this winter.
If I settle on the 356win will want to as I would be using the speer 220's most likely.
(maybe the hawk bullets, haven't used any of them to date)

I want to go to 24" barrel, and get them up to as fast as I can before accuracy suffers.

Just trying to get all I can out TO 300yds. Maybe not gaining a whole lot, but am gaining ground just the same. Thanks all for the assistance.

I am not opposed to buying a Marlin in 356 or having one made, but most info out there seems to report Winchesters handling the hot loads much better. So leaning toward the winnie a bit right now.

I have not ruled out getting a 348 DC yet either...or necking up the 338 Marlin to 348 or 358, but now the 338 Marlins are getting scarce and high priced.