GSG (German Sports Guns)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

GSG (German Sports Guns)

Post by pwl44m »

Anybody have one or shot one ? My local Gun shop called Me and said He finally got 2 of them in after a long wait. He didn't order one for Me but said if I wanted one He would hold it for Me. I can't buy it now because I have to wait 30 days to buy another Pistol. Just a week ago I bought an Armscorp 1911-22. This GSG Gun is also in 22 caliber as a 1911 look alike. Supposed to be good Guns but I have never heard of them.
Any input would be appreciated. If it wasn't 1911 pattern I wouldn't even consider it. So what say Ye, U won't hurt My feelings, U can even talk in caps iffen U want. Fire away.
I really need another 22 pistol
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: GSG (German Sports Guns)

Post by gundownunder »

I haven't shot one but I have looked at one at my LGS. They look to be pretty well made and feel solid in the hand, and I've read that they are a lot better than some other 1911/22s that are readily available. I understand from the reviews I've read that neither the GSG or the other 1911/22s are made to the 1911 pattern, once you get below the surface they are mechanically different. I think the only way to get a 22 that is mechanically a 1911 is by getting a 1911 with a 22 conversion kit.

Disclaimer If I got any of that wrong, you got what you paid for.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I purchased a GSG-5 from rjohns94 here on the forum several years ago, and love it. It is basically a .22LR version of the HK MP5 in semi-auto only. Very well made. I really considered their 1911 clone in .22, but opted for the Ruger 22/45 Lite when I found a deal on the latter.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Guys,I did notice that U can see the hammer spring when cocked and it looks like a clothes pin spring. :lol: Serious it does. As far as looks go it does look like a 1911 but I don't know if the takedown is the same. The GSG is $300 more than what I paid for the Armscorp but it was used and came with the box and paper work so it was as New. I bought a S&W 22 a couple months ago. These aren't guns I am looking for but when they turn up I have to consider.
I would like to have a 22 conversion for My Colt 1911s but they are pricey. Guess I should have bought one years ago when they were only $200 and I thought that was outrageous.
Perry
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

I cahnged out the mainspring housing on mine to a flat right after I got it.Some minor differences, but most 1911 parts fit and will work. Hammers, triggers, springs, safeties. You get the picture. 5K rounds and still running fine. You do have to take out a screw to take off top end, but no biggie. Well worth the money. Later, mh
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Perry,

The GSG is a zinc casting, isn't it? The Armscor 1911-22 uses a fullsize, 1911-clone frame, right?

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ Hagler, I have not done any research on either one. There did seem to be a little bit of weight difference in the 2. I've already bought the Armscorp - pick it up Sat after 4:30 pm but the GSG will take a little thinking to turn loose of 500 smackers. Anybody have any prices ?

Perry
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Perry,

I believe that the Rock Island XT-22 & the Armscor SP22 are built on Armscor's steel 1911 frames. I think that means that you can convert it to centerfire, if you want to, whereas, with the GSG, you have a dedicated .22LR pistol. Here is a review of an XT-22:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=436350

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I remember reading that the MP5 copy like YK has uses a Walther barrel and they are a lot more accurate that you would expect from a buzz gun copy. I'm just wondering if they carry the same standards thru out their line.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hagler wrote: The GSG is a zinc casting, isn't it?
Yes, and aluminum. I have one and while it's fun, it's not anything to get all excited about IMO. I think I paid $300 for mine. If they're more now it's not worth it I don't think.

It is fun to shoot, and it's a good way to practice the 1911 manual of arms, but anyone familiar with (and liking) the old steel .22LR pistols like the Ruger Marks, Colt Woodsman, High Standards, Browning Challengers, Smith & Wesson Mod 41, and the Browning Medalist, will likely not be impressed with one of these contraptions. The ambi safety on mine, for example, was binding a bit and when I worked it back and forth to try and work down whatever was rubbing/binding the shaft that runs through the frame between the two halves snapped because it's made out of cheap aluminum. I just need to call them - they do stand behind the pistols very well I'm told - but it's a PITA I didn't need and obviously the weak aluminum part is unimpressive.

I want an early Colt Ace without the floating chamber and I intend to investigate the Armscorp pistol, but IMO you can find better ways to spend your hard earned money.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Oly, thats not very encouraging, I did notice that the safety was a little stiff and also this Gun will not fire with the mag removed. I'm also not overly impressed with all the script on both sides of the pistol, and in white letters no less. sounds like I am trying to talk Myself out of it huh.
I did read the review on "rimfirecentral" for the RIA 1911 and seem to favor it over the GSG. U Guys know how much I shoot so the chances of wearing one out is nill. :lol:
Perry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

pwl44m wrote: I'm also not overly impressed with all the script on both sides of the pistol, and in white letters no less.
I dislike that also. So much so that I may paint mine.

And I should add that most of the current crop of 1911 .22LR pistols feel like they're made out of cheap materials and I'm skeptical about long term toughness. The re-branded Colt, Sig, the Kimber, GSG, and cheapest of them all - the Chiappa, all feel and seem like lesser products to me vs. the kind of .22 pistols we used to buy.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright