Spotting Scopes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Spotting Scopes

Post by ColColt »

Can anyone recommend a brand/type of spotting scope for the range. Took the Winchester 38-55 out to the range last Saturday and had to walk down 100 yards to see what damage I had done. In fact, I couldn't see the holes at 50 yards. I'm looking at a Redfield and a Bushnell variable power 25-60x.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: Spotting Scopes

Post by harry »

I have one of the bushnell 20x60 long spotting scopes, works very well on the 200 yard range, you can easly see 6mm holes in the bulls eye. 8)
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I know I said this on another topic but if you are only doing the 100yd stuff etc. do not discount a set of Nikon Action(don't have to be the Extreme's either) 16x 50mm------OMG are they clear and they serve many purposes.((around $100)

Also I have no problem with them wriggling,I just hold them up and can see a bug(good)on a stump @ 100yds.
Also good for birding or anything else.

Heck even my Nikon Action 12X50mm(got both)work fine at that distance.

My Leupold fixed 30X60 Gold Ring-------------------sets in closet getting dusty. :D

Wait------Holly stuff----------------these must have just come out---first time ever seen these (I am getting these as we speak) $99 sale
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon-Ac ... 4AodOnwA5g

Honest to God--------mine are as clear as my $500 Leupold (price back 20 years ago)
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

I think I'll go with this one. Always thought Redfield made some of the best scopes and rings in the industry...why not a spotting scope?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-ra ... e-kit.html
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

They should do ya!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like rifle scopes, you get what you pay for in spotting scopes. With a $200 spotting scope, it may look nice and clear when your looking at birds, but try to see a .22 caliber bullet hole at 400 meters.

I use a 12 X 40 gold ring Leupold. Expensive, but you only buy one in a lifetime.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

A few months back a buddy of mine picked up a new Leupold spoter and made me a heck of a deal on his old Baush and Laumb. He was upset when we went to the range and the B &L was better at 100 yards and better. The Leupold was better at 50 and under though. 8)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a 20-60 Celestron...Not the cheapest out there, but it stays bright right out to max power...something my Leupold WindRiver spotter did not do.....(that's not the goldring, but the cheaper one....my WindRiver 10x50 Binocs are perfect)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

I am sure more expensive is better, but I have been happy with this Redfield 20x60 spotter for $200. Used it to easily see .243 holes at 200 yards last weekend with no problem. For the price I think its fantastic.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-ra ... e-kit.html
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

On thinking more on this I can add that if all your going to do is short range......say 100--200 meters, any decent brand name spotter in the $2-300 range will work. No need for these 48 or 60 X jobs as when its turned up that high, the image just gets blurry. You will only get sharpness at high power settings with a high dollar spotter. A 20X is more than enough for 200 yard shooting.

Out in my back yard I leave my alternate spotting scope out on the table. Its a real redneck job.......a broken 10X Redfield rifle scope that is duct taped to a 10 cent tripod. I can see about anything with it out to 100 meters.--------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I'm using a Vortex scope right now, cost alittle over 200$, and it shows me bullet strikes on steel at 1000 yds just fine and has the clarity to pickup mirage and wind shifts. Can see 22 bullet hits at 200 with no problem.
Konus scopes are excellent for the money.
Burris makes a good scope for under 300.
Celestron scopes are a good value.
The suggestions for a good set of high power binoculars is good as well.
But you can spend 2 or 3 grand on a scope and if the stand you put it on is about as stiff as a wet dish towel, all that money on the scope only lets you brag, not produce.
Take a look at the spotting scope stands from Cabine Tree, Buffalo Arms carries them or you can buy direct.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Bushnell that I bought about 30+ years ago and have been satisfied with it.
It will show .22 cal holes at 100 but that is about all.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I had a Tasco and really hated it at 60x, although 20x and 30x were passable. It was big and heavy as well. I bought a Minox 15x-30x and it is quite nice. I have sold all my other scopes and binos except a 6x monocular.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

Lots of choices. My shooting neighbor has a Redfield 20-60x and at 45x it does good at 50 yards for sighting in and at 100 yards up to 200 at 60x it does well being able to see 30 and 45 cal. holes.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have to say the medium priced Celestron I have is clear and bright out to 60x.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have the Burris Landmark and think it is a good spotter.