Eggapeno Toast

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Eggapeno Toast

Post by JohndeFresno »

Some here may recall that I love Jalapenos. They are, for my palate, the perfect blend of heat and flavor. If you want more hot, add more Jalapenos. And a day without Jalapenos is like a month without sunshine.

For quick breakfasts, especially on Sunday mornings, I like peanut butter on toast with sliced rings of Jalapenos - already posted. But if I have just a little more time, here is how I put together another favorite, which is even better get-started fuel food and a healthy meal:

* Pop two slices of whole wheat bread into toaster
* Heat up 1 1/2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil* in teflon pan on med high until it starts to smoke
* Slice one large Jalapeno lengthwise, then into wheels (crosswise, holding pepper together)
(If you are a true Jalapeno lover, don't seed it)
* Add a half jigger of water to two eggs in a bowl, pinch of salt, beat
* When oil just starts to smoke, roll it around, drop in the peppers
* Continue beating the eggs for a bit
* When your nostrils start twinging from the capsicum heat released from the peppers, add a TBSP of balsamic vinegar**, swish it around until you smell the sweet aroma of peppers and vinegar. The sweet vinegar caramelizes with the peppers.
* Move peppers away from edges of pan, drop in the egg mix slowly
* Lift edges and drain top to edges to cook evenly as eggs cook
* Toast will be ready to receive eggs when done

Good, fairly simple for the wonderful flavor, and very healthy.

* Olive oil has a better flavor, is more healthy than vegetable oil or even Canola oil for a number of reasons. Since the cost factor is not a big thing, we can be picky and use Kirkland (Costco) Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Trader Joe's Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
We have recently found an excellent local brand - Rosenthal Olive Ranch Arbosana Extra Virgin Olive Oil made in Madera, California. It is important to use 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil, per my wife, who is truly a gourmet cook and knows her craft. For Californians interested in locating a store near them, or for anybody interested in the oil, recipes, etc., you can see the oil listed at:
http://www.rosenthaloliveranch.com
We just pick it up in Madera from the lady who makes it. With no middleman, the product is cheaper than store bought brands: $20 a gallon. Of course, it comes in smaller bottles. I suspect that this product will catch on and expand into other states. It is a quality product at a reasonable price. The Central San Joaquin Valley is known world wide for its excellent olives - like Oberti Olives, Lindsay Olives as two commonly used brands. These olives are raised in Madera, CA.

** The same thing with balsamic vinegar, which is vastly different than plain vinegar. It is sweet, rich but not overpowering, and has no sugar. We generally use Kirkland Balsamic Vinegar of Modena.

Jalapenos Rule!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Eggapeno Toast

Post by Blaine »

I love spicy heat, but, for some reason Jalapeños do a number on my tubes..... :( I use the Tapatio sauce, or just hot red pepper.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I'm with U John on leaving the seeds in, why remove the reason Ur using them in the first place. Probably because all those Pansy Cook show hosts tell their audiences to remove the seeds. I had Burritos this morning with jalapenos, bells, onion, cilantro and a meal starter mix then scrambled a couple fresh eggs from My Hens into the mix. Very good but My wife will say they are too Hot and eat them anyhow. I have some Habeneros coming on but I caint take that much heat anymore. My Wife asks Me why I even grow them. I don't have an answer.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

You got that right! :D
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my mom makes jalapeno jelly from her garden-grown, and pasta sauce, and tortilla soup, and...

a simple popper stuffing is crumbled crabcakes and feta cheese, then roast them on the grill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Going to have to make PBJJ s for lunch after reading this thread !!!

MMMMmm Jelly !!!

Maybe some B & B pickled jalapenos to go with :

Phil
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

THAT's what I'm talkin' about!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

The balsamic vinegar is a nice touch.

I would be very attentive to the oil, once it starts smoking it already is breaking down and compounds formed by that are /not/ good for you. I would just wait till it's shimmering well and good.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

wecsoger wrote:The balsamic vinegar is a nice touch.

I would be very attentive to the oil, once it starts smoking it already is breaking down and compounds formed by that are /not/ good for you. I would just wait till it's shimmering well and good.
Duly noted. Thank you!