Red Dot?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Red Dot?

Post by olyinaz »

Red Dot is what I have been able to find, so that's what I've got plenty of (this is sure a crummy time to get into reloading). Can some of you tell me if you use it and/or like it for the standard rimmed pistol calibers? Or should I put the stuff on Craigslist and try to acquire something else?

If Red Dot is good I'll start loading that to get into the game and see how I do/where I go from here.

Sorry for such a general question, but I see that it's listed as a useable powder for many cartridges and it was available so I picked some up. Please let me know if I've screwed up or not.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Red Dot?

Post by Old Savage »

Good for the 44 Spl and 45 Colt.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Oly -- Red Dot is wonderful powder. For approximately target-velocity loads (700 to 800 fps, say) in pistol cartridges. It is a fast powder, which means it generates quite a lot of pressure for modest velocity. And you use small amounts (not very many grains) so it is quite possible to fit a double charge into your pistol case, which might make the gun come unglued. I always put in a step where I get under good light and look at the powder level in my charged cases to make sure there are no skips and no double charges and you should have this step also.

Enjoy your Red Dot -- lots of shootin' per pound of powder with Red Dot.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

RedDot is great for pretty much everything. Lyman Cast bullet handbook from the 70's has a WEALTH of loads with it for 80% of all calibers. Only surpassed by 2400 for usefulness. My opinion and $2 will get you 100 generic tea bags :mrgreen: I have never been without Red Dot or Unique since 1973.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thanks guys!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah,
You are good to go,
but like Earlmuck says; put that final inspection step in.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:Yeah,
You are good to go,
but like Earlmuck says; put that final inspection step in.
Wilco!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Go figure.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The local Cabela's hasn't had any of the Dots for a long time....I use a bunch of Blue Dot....It's real close to 2400, and can power 45-70, 444, and others in a pinch. I use nothing else for .44mag, and .357.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Not much to add other than I loaded 500 rds. of 9mm last night using 4.5 gr. of Red Dot. ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

earlmck wrote:Oly -- Red Dot is wonderful powder. For approximately target-velocity loads (700 to 800 fps, say) in pistol cartridges. It is a fast powder, which means it generates quite a lot of pressure for modest velocity. And you use small amounts (not very many grains) so it is quite possible to fit a double charge into your pistol case, which might make the gun come unglued. I always put in a step where I get under good light and look at the powder level in my charged cases to make sure there are no skips and no double charges and you should have this step also.

Enjoy your Red Dot -- lots of shootin' per pound of powder with Red Dot.
Inspection steps are always a good idea. I have a sort of sentimental attachment to my fingers and eyes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I shoot lots of Red Dot under 230 gr. cast bullets in my Ruger SR 1911.
Runs great and very accurate.
Red Dot makes a fine cast bullet powder. :D
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Well I came across an 8lb jug of the stuff so this really makes my day guys.
3leggedturtle wrote: Lyman Cast bullet handbook from the 70's has a WEALTH of loads with it for 80% of all calibers.
I even found a copy of that 1970's Lyman handbook on Amazon! I look forward to comparing it to the current manual.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

olyinaz wrote:Well I came across an 8lb jug of the stuff so this really makes my day guys.
3leggedturtle wrote: Lyman Cast bullet handbook from the 70's has a WEALTH of loads with it for 80% of all calibers.
I even found a copy of that 1970's Lyman handbook on Amazon! I look forward to comparing it to the current manual.
I wont say much time I spent listening to rock-n-roll, keep the fire stoked and the Coleman lantern pumped up while reading that Lyman manual on cold winter weekends. But more than a few questioned my sanity :P :lol:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Not saying it's a good or bad powder one way or the other, 'cause I got no opinion, but just sharing a story.

Had a buddy when I was in the service that blew up two Super Redhawks using Red Dot.

(... and no, I don't have his load data.)

Ruger replaced the first one with essentially no questions asked.

When he sent them the second one, he got a call direct from Bill Ruger hizself asking him "... what the H*LL are you doing...".

Vince claims that as one of the highlights of his life.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Makes nice 7/8oz and 1oz loads in a 12g too but a long wad is needed, steady loads, good for close pigeon, bolting rabbit and woodcock.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just don't know... that stuff has some limited applications and is extremely finicky to deal with. Box it up and ship it to me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Nath wrote:Makes nice 7/8oz and 1oz loads in a 12g too but a long wad is needed, steady loads, good for close pigeon, bolting rabbit and woodcock.

N.
I was wondering how long it would take for a shotgunner to show up. Red Dot is VERY popular with the target shotgun crowd, that and light field loads.
Red Dot it just overshadowed by Bullseye in the pistol department. Look up Paco's article "The Dots".
I do simpathise because I stocked up on Green Dot earlier this year because its what they had at the store. I know it will handle light to medium loads in all my pistols, there just is not lots on pistol data with GD. -Brian
Last edited by BrianSH on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Griff wrote:I just don't know... that stuff has some limited applications and is extremely finicky to deal with. Box it up and ship it to me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Too late! I got the good word, Thunderbird. :D
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BrianSH wrote:
Nath wrote:Makes nice 7/8oz and 1oz loads in a 12g too but a long wad is needed, steady loads, good for close pigeon, bolting rabbit and woodcock.

N.
I was wondering how long it would take for a shotgunner to show up. Red Dot is VERY popular with the target shotgun crowd, that and light field loads.
Red Dot it just overshadowed by Bullseye in the pistol department. Look up Paco's article "The Dots".
I do simpathise because I stocked up on Green Dot earlier this year because its what they had at the store. I know it will handle light to medium loads in all my pistols, there just is not lots on pistol data with GD. -Brian
Psssss, I use G.dot instead now though :wink: It fills a 12g case better and my 357 rabbits loads the case is filled better too!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Oly,

Here is the original "The Load" information as written by the renowned C. E. Harris and published in earlier editions of The American Rifleman and elsewhere:
https://www.box.com/s/ls2g00q1shrdk33zagti

Red Dot and Unique are two truly unique powders. They figure prominently on my shelves, and will be my emergency powder if none other are available.

There are currently 78 different calibers listed at LoadData.com that are serviced by Red Dot. This includes handgun and rifle loads. Most of them are mid-range and target loads, but they would still get the job done in a pinch. Since the list is too long to post here, you can click on the following link and download the two-page PDF document to see what those loads are at:
https://www.box.com/s/wwepfjds7kk6xd8npyol
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Nath wrote:
BrianSH wrote:

N.
Psssss, I use G.dot instead now though :wink: It fills a 12g case better and my 357 rabbits loads the case is filled better too!

N.

Agree on the Green dot. It does pretty well in the .32-20 too.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

JohndeFresno wrote:Oly,

Here is the original "The Load" information as written by the renowned C. E. Harris and published in earlier editions of The American Rifleman and elsewhere:
https://www.box.com/s/ls2g00q1shrdk33zagti

Red Dot and Unique are two truly unique powders. They figure prominently on my shelves, and will be my emergency powder if none other are available.

There are currently 78 different calibers listed at LoadData.com that are serviced by Red Dot. This includes handgun and rifle loads. Most of them are mid-range and target loads, but they would still get the job done in a pinch. Since the list is too long to post here, you can click on the following link and download the two-page PDF document to see what those loads are at:
https://www.box.com/s/wwepfjds7kk6xd8npyol
Thank you sir!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright